“Delicious fine dining”

Ferdinand's
Ranked #7 of 614 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Listed as one of Malaysia's best restaurants by Malaysia Tatler, Ferdinand's is a world class Italian restaurant offering the most exquisite fine-dining experience served with style, charm and attention to detail open only for that perfect night out.Open daily from 6.00pm to 11.00pm.
Reviewed August 3, 2013

After spending 2+ weeks in Malaysia we were craving some traditional western fine dining and Ferdinand's delivered.
There are no surprises in the dishes, they are just as they are described on the menu and they are served with a flourish - the staff here were fabulous. The only negative was the feeling that we were expected to purchase wine, and when we didn't the sommelier walked off in a huff. But the remaining service staff were fantastic. We even received a free photograph (of ourselves of course) to remember the night.

2  Thank Zobe_Wan

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Thought we couldn't go wrong after all the write ups but....in spite of the fabulous views, and the friendly and obliging staff . First the poor English made communication awkward. Cute initially, but when even the wrong main course arrived.....
And then the staff aren't trained to explain the dishes. Lots of smiles but they cannot describe dishes. When you spend the kind of money charged there and at a supposedly 5 star resort, I think there's a long way to go yet!
Then there's the food....the presentation is elegant, the portions small...I guess in keeping with the fine-dining theme. The steak was a 3 out of 10...the Aberdeen almost seemed broiled rather than flamed. The colour was wrong, the juices weren't flowing. I like my steak medium rare and due to health reasons rarely have one, so you can imagine my disappointment. As for the ravioli (by the way Ferdinand's, I think you mean "in a CONSOMME of crab, not a CONSUME of crab"), it tasted delicious
...until we got bits of shell in the ravioli....the dessert selection was sad and most could be eaten through a straw.
At the end of the day, it was a poor dining experience and fellow travellers you'd do better going elsewhere.

4  Thank Chanel1972
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I chose Ferdinand to be the restaurant to help make my proposal a successful one. I want to surprise my girlfriend and propose to her during our Sabah trip in June. I am staying at Pacific Sutera so it was great that I can book Ferdinand's and there's a private beach just next to it. I asked Mizan from Ferdinand to help organize a romantic dinner with view and they went out of the way to decorate my table with a delighted heart shaped candles surrounding the table. The service is one of the best and everyone is so friendly. Although they all know that I will propose to my girlfriend, they try their best to hide the excitement and serve some of the best food in Sabah. Everything went well and there was a live band performing too so it was excellent.

After dinner, Mizan went out of his way again, and showed us around the hotel. Of course, it was planned and he brought us to the beach, where I propose to my fiancee. They helped me to create a giant heart with candles at the beach, with the word 'Marry me' in the middle. It was a great romantic moment and I will never forget it. I knelt down and ask her to marry me. The band showed up again and played a song to make the atmosphere even more special. And she said YES!!!

Thanks again for Mizan and Ferdinand's to make that evening so memorable and romantic, would recommend anyone in Sabah to celebrate any special moment there, or simply, have a great dinner at Ferdinand's.

1  Thank kevleung
Reviewed June 30, 2013

It is our 1st Anniversary, it is our first Candle Light Dinner, it is the first time I ever gave someone a bouquet of roses, well, everything happens here at Ferdinand's. Thanx for the wonderful settting specially made for us. The ambient is romantic, the food is excelent. Hope if I can share some pics of us that night. Mr. Mizan, the manager in charge for our event, thank you so Much. Full stars!!! Hehe

1  Thank AFairuz
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Fantastic fine dining experience at one of Malaysia's top restaurants in Kota Kinnabalu. The food was to die for. The attention to detail and service by the wait staff was impeccable. A must do!