“As much an Aussie BBQ as spam is considered meat”

The Aussie Barbeque and Bar
Ranked #96 of 614 Restaurants in Kota Kinabalu
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Some corny aussie stuff in the bar, they give you aussie stubby holders. I went there mainly the see the AFL. Was happy with the food, good prawns, avoid the deep fried stuff, a bit overdone. Good chef and presentation of the seafood, but I'd avoid the 'aussie' stuff. No BBQ, or grill, all done on hotplates, and flamed to get the bbq look.

1  Thank BamBamMantell
Doreen-Ann, Owner at The Aussie Barbeque and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear BamBamMantel
I am a bit confused with you review, you say like the seafood and comment " good chef". The corny Aussie stuff is that a stubby holder that you were offered because you were drinking you beer out of the bottle instead of a cold beer mug - I don't think anyone would be eating a stubby holder "corny Aussie stuff"
Doreen-Ann Weinman

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We ate here after seeing the adverts in a tourist leaflet as the food looked amazing and hubby was keen to try the Lamb Shank Curry. We walked past a couple of times as we didnt think it was the right place. There werent many people eating here. I ordered what i thought was a Burger but it was more of a steak canadian and very tough. I ended up leaving most of it. Husband had steak and he said that was cooked well. The place is okay but i wouldnt go again.

1  Thank Carol C
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Upon arriving in KK we decided to try the Aussie BBQ restaurant on our first night. Its in a great location on the waterfront next to Shamrocks Irish Bar. The western menu was extensive and the food Ok but nothing to write home about. The service was good with the waitress ordering me a draft beer from the adjoinging Irish bar as the Aussie has no beer on tap? They do offer VB and Crownies but at a price of RM35/stubby. Once you add the 16% service and Govt tax it seemed a little expensive.

So we tried a second time this time for lunch with the same same...... a little disappointing in comparsion to the other restaurants on the Stripe.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have had two fabulous meals at the Aussie - we went one day and liked it so much we went back the next night! Lovely views , good food and really nice staff - who could ask for more?

2  Thank pnut35
Reviewed June 11, 2012

As we drove into town, I saw the Aussie BBQ and exclaimed I would not be going there in Malaysia!! Well, we walked down to the waterfront and we were inexplicably drawn in there, and we are so glad we gave it a chance.

The steaks are imported from Australia, and as we live in Bali, this was a real treat. There is a grill in the centre of the restaurant, where they are cooked to perfection.

The food is Aussie style. Not fancy, but as tasty as you can get, with sea views and a gentle breeze on your face.

I have read the attack on Doreen and David, the owners. We took time to get to know them and found them entertaining and delightful hosts, who have a passion for good food and service. Each night we went there, we were greeted by name, not too many places that can boast that ability! We learned David is ex-Hilton. While this is far from the velvet curtains of before, his dedication to delivering the best he can within the brand parameters is commendable.

What you see is what you get. Decor is basic, but as I said I live in Bali and to be honest, yearn for the days of real food in a real restaurant. Sure, I love fine dining, but I also love a decent steak cooked the way I like it, with fresh chips, in fresh oil.

The beer buckets are great value. San Mig Light is only 100c per bottle, tastes like a cold filtered beer, is 5%. A bucket is just over $12 (4 beers), plenty to go round.

The staff are friendly and Doreen keeps a good eye on them too! I'll post some pics later, when I get my camera card out, but I couldn't fault the smiling service.

Sabah is prone to big downpours, but on the one night this happened, we ended up inside out of the storm, chatting and making friends. A true Aussie bar.

Next door but one is the cock and bull with live music every night, so it makes it a good night to have a beer and a steak, or freshly caught/grilled fish, and wander down to the bar. Great location, well worth a visit.

Worth knowing ... it rains in Sabah, be prepared if in open air venues to run inside (at least this place has protection and is close to cabs). On occasions the smell from seaweed etc can waft over, just be aware. If it really is not your thing, pick a still night, but check it out before judging, not anyone's fault on the waterfront.

Overall, Aussie BBQ made us feel welcome, and gave us a stack of local tips and tricks too. Put this one on your list and make a night of it. Email me direct if you have any questions.

Average price per head for food is around $Au $12-$15. They have a superb selection of steaks, so you can really go upmarket if you wish. My recommendation (sorry team!) is the steak sandwich with bacon and beetroot. As I said, I live in Bali...this was the closest thing to home I had ever had.

Keep up the great work, don't be dismayed by negative people. If you like fine dining, I'd still say give this gem a chance, because if you close your eyes and relish the steak, you could be anywhere.

TIP: order your food, but you can also order Roti from next door if you want something to mop up the juices. 4.5 MR, it's nice to see the restaurants helping each other out.
Oh, and while we were there (for the Americans reading this), there was a huge group of American birdwatchers who seemed delighted with everything. And there was a Russian couple, who apparently were there every night of their stay. I add this, as it seems not just Aussies like the food and service!

3  Thank Creatavision