I have stayed in a few Tune hotels before now and, up until now, I have found that these have been modern and fairly well-maintained. By comparison, I found the Tune Hotel at1 Borneo just a bit grotty.
The hotel rooms are not actually accessed from the hotel reception, which is located inside a 7-eleven shop... They are accessed by going just inside the mall, by using an elevator situated next to a particularly stinky shopping mall toilet!.... Absolutely anyone can enter the elevator to access the hotel floors, as there is no security or card reader.....On reaching the third floor, there is actually a swipe-card access on the door to the room corridor, but the door was constantly left wide open. Zero marks for security!
The room itself was very small with a nice comfy bed and functional shower room as expected; But what I wasn’t expecting was the condition and standard of the room décor.
Usually, Tune Hotels are painted a fresh corporate white/red; But the walls here had apparently been re-painted lime green/grey by a five year-old: There were paint splodges all over the mirrors, floor and furniture; and not a straight line to be seen anywhere. It looked dirty and shabby. The hallways were dark and dirty.
The view of the mountains from the window was great. However, not all of the view from the window was as nice. ie: The ledge below the windows where the aircon units sit was basically a huge dirty ashtray.
Tune Hotel is a 50rm taxi ride from the airport, and 30rm from the town and the waterfront markets. There are many eating establishments in the 1Borneo Mall. There’s a cinema in there too. Not much else.
Apparently this mall and Tune hotel have only been around since 2008, but the build quality of both is shockingly bad and neither appears to have much of a maintenance budget….Plonking an ugly concrete shopping mall against a rainforest backdrop is bad enough, but why oh why let it become so grotty when the Borneo location lends itself to light, jungle-themed rooms or a few nice animal pictures to brighten up the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located within East Malaysia's largest lifestyle mall and en-route to Mount Kinabalu - Borneo's highest peak, this select service hotel offers the basic essentials to guests looking for a good night's sleep and a place to re-energize - 5-star beds, heated power showers, clean rooms and 24-hour security. Customize your stay with add-on extras like in-room air-conditioning and wireless internet access. Book online early for best rates, always. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, Travelocity and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tune Hotels .Com - 1borneo, Kota Kinabalu Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Tune Hotel Com
- Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu Sabah