“The best experience”

Ranked #40 of 206 things to do in Sabah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed December 3, 2013

From all the places we have EVER visited Danum Valley (DVFC) is among the top 3 on our list. The rain forest here is one of the oldest in the world and the mornings are just stunning. We woke up every morning before sunrise to enjoy the jungle scenery with many animals in the canopy. The accommodation and food was very basic, but that didn't bother us at all. On the contrary, it made our experience even more authentic. Danum Valley Field Center is not a touristic resort. It's a research and scientific facility that allows visitors to stay here and explore the best of Borneo's nature. We just loved it and definitely have to come back again!

4  Thank Michal C

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was in Danum Valley Rainforest Resort Lodge recently. The 2hours journey from the airport was an appetizer to the 'main course'...on the way we saw a baby spitting cobra..fresh elephant dungs etc. Food was amazing and during our dinner, I saw a buffy owl at the nearby tree and a few deers at the river bank...Imagine dining with live animals appearance as part of the show. Night safari and night treks introduce us to so many insects,reptiles and mammals like wild boars etc. Truly an adventure and you must be here to experience nature at its best.
All the staff here including the guides are really professional and helpful. The accommodation is first class. Words cannot describe the wonder of Danum.

2  Thank RichardChin
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I join a NGO - International Raleigh in this summer 2013.
my first project is went to Danum Valley to rebuild the research cabin. The first day I get into Danum I know this is amazing primeval forest, I want to explorer this forest as much as I can.
Around the forest with huge tree, Orang Utan around some unknow bird, wild animals, colorful insects, river was crystal clean...etc

If you manage to get there, please stay at least 4 days or more, stay there enjoy the forest view, peaceful enviroemnt. you will love it :D

5  Thank AlfredDeviruss
Reviewed August 13, 2013

You Tube Video: http://youtu.be/LS4jcSDmq5Y Title: Born in Borneo Channel: yoblair

Pygmy elephants, orangutans, gibbons, all kinds of monkeys -- the list of wildlife viewing is endless. The place is beautiful beyond simple description. If you are reading this, then you are probably asking yourself is you should go -- the answer is "yes." See separate review for Danum Valley Field Center.

4  Thank Ele-Booster
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at the Danum Valley Field Centre. You need to get to the DVFC office in Lahad Datu and they will arrange for transport from there. It takes more than 2 hrs ride from DVFC office to get to Field Centre. As tourists, it was difficult for us to get a reservation here since its more of a research establishment. We found many students and research scientists, hardly any tourists or visitors like us. We were initially supposed to stay in the hostel but they gave us a room when we actually got there. That was really nice of them. The accommodation is very neat and clean. The food in the canteen was very good. Since I am a vegetarian I dont expect to get more than mashed potatoes, bread and fruits in canteens. But at DVFC, they had a separate area for vegetarian food which I thought was awesome gesture! We did couple of trails in the forest, night safari and watched the sunrise from the observation tower. All in all - Wonderful experience and must see place.

6  Thank meerams