“Lovely hotel, great staff”

Putrajaya Shangri-La
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Putrajaya
Reviewed November 18, 2006

We stayed a couple of nights in October. The hotel is very nice, peaceful and smart. There are great views as you walk out of the hotel and into a public park. Putrajaya is a very spread out town so you need transport (car / taxi) if you want to see anything, it's also convenient for the airport and KL. It would be a very good stop if you are doing a car tour, so much easier than KL. The food is good, especially breakfast.

I had an accident (not hotel's fault) whilst there and the staff were wonderful, caring and really professional. They have regular training for emergencies. You don't expect a problem, but it's good to know you that you have Shangri-La level of support if you need it.

In summary a very nice hotel with friendly staff. Use as a base for exploring and perhaps plan your itinerary a little.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank J123456789

Reviewed June 2, 2006

I was in Malaysia on business for 5 weeks, and stayed at the Putrajaya Shangri-La. I was very pleasantly surprised at the warmth and professionalism of the staff. That includes ALL staff from room attendant to management. I was very well taken care of, even pampered. In addition to being so well taken care of, there was much beauty all around me. My balcony overlooked very well-tended gardens. What a peaceful place this was! I felt special here and would definitely stay here again. I also encourage any business traveler to stay here. No matter how stressful your day you will definitely be able to unwind. Lots of good food, friendly people and beauty everywhere.

Putrajaya Shangri-La knows how to treat its guests, and I hope they don't change a thing.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Deborah L
Reviewed March 26, 2006

I must say that I truly enjoyed myself during my one night stay in the hotel. It was for our 11th anniversary and I have booked the spa plus room package that they are promoting. The spa turned out to be really relaxing experience for me and my wife. It was done in a couple's villa for a 4 hours plus treatment. Since the hotel is a boutique hotel and I suppose it is a low season during my stay, you hardly see any people around at the the lobby at night and it is very quiet and we do not mind that at all. I will definitely come back to this hotel, at least for the spa treatment.

• Stayed: March 2006
Reviewed November 22, 2005

I stayed at the Putrajaya Shangri-La Oct 14 ,2005 the location , the ambience and the staff are superb.
As a guest of the airline staying overnight I was given full board.

The food, however was stale, the seafood tasted old .The hotel was poorly patronized and there were only a handful of guests. This maybe the reason that the food uneaten probably went back into the refrigerator again and again.

Two days after I left the hotel I came down with a bad case of E-Coli, colitis (severe diarrhea) and I was almost hospitalized.After two days of an antibiotic named Lavaquin I got back on my feet but my holiday was partly ruined as a result.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank Nalin_9
Reviewed October 3, 2005

I travel a lot for work and business.I have stayed in hundreds of hotels but this shangri-la property is simple incredible.Small for shangri-la standards it is marketed as a boutique hotel.The rooms are modern and stylish with nice balconies.The hotel is located on a hill overlooking the modern islamic architecture of putra jaya.The service is top notch and an amazing breakfast awaits you in the morning.Beautifull pool with nice sunsets.Small complaint is that sauna seems to be out of order a lot.A complimentary shuttle brings you to KL shangri-la in approx 30mins.Recommended with all thumbs up!!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank arabian_sands
Reviewed September 5, 2005

A rare example of horrendous customer service ruining an entire hotel stay. Paid $106 US for one night, pre-booked and, yes, pre-paid guaranteed "good buy" rate through Travelocity two weeks in advance. On arrival, could not check in -- reception claimed to have no record of pre-paid booking or even reservation under my name. After being asked for documentation (while closely supervised in hotel's biz center, I printed out confirmation e-mail -- twice for two different people), was challenged by night shift manager, who said they could find a room for me but I would have to pay for it, and asked for credit card. I refused. Staff did not appear to understand Web booking, or the concept of pre-paid booking. Hotel manager then appeared (and asked for another confirmation printout) and interrogated me as if I was trying to scam a free night -- demanded business card, wanted to know what kind of business I was on, wanted to know why Travelocity wasn't answering their phones. (Upon producing my business-class ticket on Malaysian Airlines -- yes, I was traveling on biz -- treatment improved. And no, I was not wearing ratty clothes, was clean-shaven, etc.) Manager said: "Please understand, we have to keep the riff-raff out." Finally, everyone just seemed to relent. This took more than 90 min. -- no apology, no attempt to compensate, no fruit basket, nada. This was a true Fawlty Towers experience, worst ever in the world, and I travel a lot. Hotel is remote and I paid in advance, otherwise I would have immediately gone elsewhere. To be fair: View incredible. Beautiful pool. Rooms nice, stylish even, if a little run-down. However: interior lobby stunk of raw sewage, then, later in the day, Glade sprayed over raw sewage. Piece de resistance: Woken by 1 a.m. phone call and concurrent knock on my door -- hotel staff saying they were ready to fix the problem with my toilet! (I never reported -- or had --any such problem...perhaps it was previous night's guest and they were just getting to it?) There are much better choices than this hotel in Putra Jaya -- go into KL and stay away from here.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank GortPickle
Reviewed July 16, 2005

A wonderful retreat about 20-30 min from KUL airport. I must recommend the Shangri-La's "Value Rate" which offers free return limo transfers, breakfast buffet (excellent), late check-out till 6pm (!), free high speed broadband, free laundry (!), etc. The freebies (especially the airport xfers, which probably cost $40) maybe amount to about $75-100 if you paid for all of them. The gym is nice, food is nice, service is impeccable. I can't recommend it enough.
Now, if you are going to Kuala Lumpur to hang out in the city, I'd recommend staying in a city hotel first and then staying here on your last night in town. You'll get the one-way transfer to the airport and a 6pm check-out, and the other goodies on the Value Rate.
There are cheaper rates (I think about $75) with Breakfast included, but like I said the airport xfers make it worth the extra.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank kyushuman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Putrajaya
Le Meridien Putrajaya
#6 of 9 in Putrajaya
Cyberview Resort & Spa
Cyberview Resort & Spa
#1 of 5 in Cyberjaya

Been to Putrajaya Shangri-La? Share your experiences!