“Awful”

“Awful”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Main problems:
1. Too far from KL.
2. Food dreadful and expensive. In fact, in 22 years of travelling, their in room vegetarian was disgusting - tasted horrid and was teh most expensive meal we ate in all of the 10 days we travelled Malaysia.
3. No atmosphere.
4. TV volume is muffled and no matter how high you turn it up the speech remains indistinct.
5. The first room smelt of varnish or mosquito spray resulting in a dreadful headache. The hotel WERE very responsive and changed the room immediately, indeed they upgraded us at no extra cost and the new room was 3 times as big and had loads of light and a good view. Nonetheless, the hotel overall was not good. For the price we paid (£79) we could have got much better in KL, whilst having the pick of good food (expensive and cheap). Having said that, this was late booking and part of trhe fault lies with Trip Advisor for listing this as a "KL Hotel" which it clearly isn't. Part of the problem with this hotel is that it is imbued with expectations which it cannot measure up to ie a KL hotel. It is 40 km from KL.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank vertigo1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 16, 2011

I clocked in three nights in a Deluxe Parkview room on the fourth floor of the “Shang”, which also happens to be the top floor. I quickly discovered why the “Parkview” rooms are priced a little bit higher than the same-sized “Hillview” rooms. The Shang is on perched on an elegant forested hill, not quite on the summit but high up enough to give you a wonderful west-facing panorama of Putrajaya and the surrounding valley from the Parkview rooms. The Hillview rooms, it seems, look upwards to what’s left of the hillside towards the summit, so there must be less drama in the view.

The room – Not too impressive at first glance, but the room grew on me after a while. By the time I left, I was a fan. The bed was really comfy, and I had a good spread of pillows. I appreciated the big writing desk facing the window, and the open portal allowing you to jump in the bathtub straight from the bed (not that I did that, though ---- it’s not the usual glass window that many hotels install to give you a view of the bedroom from the bathroom, but an actual opening that you could close by sliding a pair of door panels. I left it open much of the time to give the room an even more airy atmosphere.

And best of all, there was the floor-to-ceiling window view that really transforms the room into such a lovely place. While relaxing in the room during the daylight hours, I opened up the drapes and soaked in the view …. Now, I won’t pay extra for the Parkview room if I had a choice, but since our business group was pre-booked here anyway, I took full advantage of the view! The feeling was, in a word, lovely.

Quibbles? Well, the clothes rack is strange and a bit impractical --- arranged front to back rather than sideways in the closet, which made for clumsy handling. There was no baggage rack or any surface to put my suitcase, so I had to call and request for one to be brought up. (My colleagues in other rooms did not have this problem.) The TV set was one of the older types (not flat-screen), which is fine with me … but that means it had to be housed in one of those bulky consoles that take up much space in the room. (The cable channel selection was unforgivably skimpy.) The bedside table drawers were too small for real practical use, so I had to keep walking to the clothes drawers by the TV area where I stored my papers, documents and reading material. Oh, and there are a number of scuff marks and other signs of wear and tear in the room … but these were small and easily overlooked. The mini-bar ref wasn’t working well on the first night, but somehow fixed itself later.

The lounge chair didn’t really work for me, either …. You can’t sit on it to read, since it’s more of a classy bunk for napping, and I didn’t find it particularly comfortable. Oh well, that’s probably just me. I would go for a nice, overstuffed armchair anytime.

The bathroom – One of the most spacious and well-laid out bathrooms I’ve experienced. Marble, marble, everywhere, good lighting, a good shower stall (with one annoying feature --- a door that opens the wrong way, allowing the water to spill out onto the floor).

The breakfast – Average for a five-star hotel buffet breakfast …. a far cry from the signature breakfast offering in other Shangri-la hotels (e.g., Jakarta, Manila). But I can’t complain … the choices were extensive enough to satisfy me, and the selections changed from day to day. There were also vegetarian choices, plus Malaysian and Indian dishes, a noodle bar, a cheese selection, and some other goodies.

The staff --- I found them to be unfailingly friendly. Service wasn’t too quick, though ---- I had to follow up one call for room service, and had to sort out some minor glitch in the check out process. Yet I felt pampered and well cared for, just the same. The shuttle driver was helpful enough to drop us off at the Suria KLCC area, per our request, rather than at the designated downtown KL stop.

The perks --- Loved the sunset cocktail service. I indulged in wines, cookies and canapés (the latter being nothing special, though) while sitting on plush couches in the lobby lounge, with a dramatic vista of Putrajaya town framed in the lobby-sized windows. I also received a total of three complimentary fruit plates, delivered to my room, on the three days I was there.

Location – Probably the best location for Putrajaya if you’re here for government business. The Alamanda mall is a short hop away (though I never got to visit), and it was just a five minute drive down the hill to our meeting venue at the Ministry of Transportation in a fortress-like block of red-brick monster buildings. However, the place does feel lonely, isolated, and very, very quiet. You basically become a prisoner of the hotel’s scheduled shuttle bus service (a few trips per day to Alamanda mall, to offices in Cyberjaya, and to downtown Kuala Lumpur), or you learn to take taxis and/or explore the green parkland. But that’s the case with the town of Putrajaya itself. (I can’t call Putrajaya a city ---- it just doesn’t feel like a real city, even with the huge building complexes and a small collection of skyscrapers. It is a hushed and isolated place, which is a strange thing to say about a high-tech city fed by a whole network of superhighways and at least one major train line linked to KL and the airport.)

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th floor room for a better view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank wingdaddy
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Location is terribly isolated - you might as well be on Mars. No shops, no people, no real bar, no real life. If you want to buy something, there is only room service at very high prices. Malaysia is a wonderful country with beautiful friendly people but you won't encounter anyone local here except the staff. Beautiful rooms and helpful staff, however they made several mistakes on my billI. If you are on your honeymoon great. The rooms are beautiful with beautiful views. The pool is also georgeous. Overall very expensive. I would recommend you stay in KL, not in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank styhppy
Manila
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Stayed in a Park view room for three nights. Room was of a good size at 40 sqm.

The room proper had a king sized bed, writing desk, mini-bar, in room safe, TV, complimentary bottled water, slippers, iron and ironing board-- in short, all the staples were there. The same can be said for the bathroom. I like that it has a separate shower and tub, always nice and the tub was of a perfect for someone my height. (I'm around 5"6.) Free internet, both wired and wi-fi. Wi-fi is supposed to be available only in the common areas, but the signal does leech into the room. Ü There are sliding doors that you can open that allows you to watch TV from the tub. Nice.

The not so good -- cleaning standards: cobwebs on the upper part of the ceiling, dust line on the edge of the door, on my last night, a rag housekeeping forgot to take with them. Rusty water when I first turned on the faucet. Seems as if the room hadn't been occupied for some time. CRT TV, limited channels. The mattress was a bit firm for my taste. And the pillows sank way too much to provide any kind of meaningful support.

Had breakfast at the Palm Hill Cafe. It was fine but not awesome. Buffet featured a mix of Malaysian, Chinese and Western cuisine.

Location wise, the hotel's atop a hill. Forget about walking. Putrajaya being a planned administrative capital, there isn't much to do and it's really planned with cars and other forms of motorized transport in mind.

The free shuttle to KL was handy and welcome. If only it ran on more hours. But I'm not complaining since it met my needs!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank PhTravelling_Guy
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Everytime my family and I needs a place to hide-away from the hustle and bustle of the city, this hotel would be our choice.

Located in the heart of the scenic and well laid out Putrajaya, the Putrajaya Shangri-La is a nice place to 'escape' from it all.

The service is always good - warm smiles, ever friendly and helpful. And the room, well designed with a homely effect and the plus point is the size of the rooms! Loved the woody feel of the room!

The pool area and the spa is worth a visit! The infinite pool overlooking the 'skyline' of Putrajaya - the PM's office, is my kids' most favourite spot of the hotel! Thus we, the parents, were forced to swim with them in the hot, afternoons even at 12 noon!

The only slight set back is the long walk from the open air parking space to the lobby, but of course they do provide valet services. Another setback was that there was no wifi in the room..

Not too far away from the hotel is the Alamanda mall which I believe the only Mall in Putrajaya area. A busy mall that has it all. A cinema, a bowling alley, supermarket and plenty of restaurants to dine in.

Also discovered a nice 'local' food court in Precinct 9 area that caters to the locals of Putrajaya.

All in all, as awlays, we had a grand time in the Putrajaya Shangri-La and will definitely return to 'recharge' our batteries....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank boo_tofu
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Spacious hotel, friendly staff, good food.. the usual with Shangri-La hotels. We were told this is the the nearest hotel to the mall..about 5 mins away in case you need to buy lunch, etc. Taxi fare is RM10 but if you can wait, there's a hotel shuttle that offers scheduled trips about 4-6 times a day.

We chose a garden view room and we'd open our sliding doors to take in the fresh air and the beautiful scenery while having a glimpse of the many attractions of Putrajaya. After staying so long in the city, it was a welcome respite to actually have some degree of quiet and hear birds chirping. Plus hearing the water fountain underneath our room was really relaxing.

Our bathroom didnt have the best drains though that whenever we'd take a bath, there would be a pool of water on the floor. It was quite a hassle wiping that so we wouldn't slip.

The pool looked really inviting surrounded by lush greenery and blue skies above. I swore I could stay there the whole day.. I was very excited to take a dip but when I did, I could see moss on the tiles... gross!!! Literally like 80% of the floor was dirty.. yuck!!

Overall, I would stay here again. I did see the staff cleaning the pool the day after I complained. I wonder why it had to take someone to call their attention before they did that.

Room Tip: Get a garden view room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed May 5, 2011

I have last year during the Malay New Year. I got a really really cheap walk in rate which is under RM300 a night inclusive breakfast.
Overall, most of the thing is perfect. Very home feeling. They provide bathrobe to wear to the pool, The Sauna, Jacuzzi and the gym. The hotel is quiet and nice.
The only thing that turned me off about the hotel is only when the breakfast. There are flies around the porridge corner and no one seems to bother to do something about it. However, I hope the hotel will be more careful on the hygiene of the buffet food during breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RyanKualaLumpur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Putrajaya
Putrajaya Marriott Hotel
#1 of 5 in Cyberjaya
The Everly Putrajaya
The Everly Putrajaya
#4 of 9 in Putrajaya

Been to Putrajaya Shangri-La? Share your experiences!