“Palatial, Opulent and Soulless”

Putrajaya Marriott Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Putrajaya
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Everything that you would expect from a Marriott, Palatial Designs, Towering Atrium, Grand Staircases suitable for a shoot of Gone with the Wind, over-priced spa, luxurious fittings and furnishings, weddings galore, efficient and immaculately polite and well-groomed staff,... opulence incarnate, despite the flies that appear out of the breakfast-buffet plates when you disturb them. But ultimately lacking a soul, a human touch, the sense that one is more than one more ant in the heap. Its not the first time that I had this feeling with a Marriott.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Have stayed there 3 times on business over the past 4 months and have had a good stay.

The hotel is set in a nice location and is suitable for a get away, with close access to Airport and local malls as well as a nice pool area if you just want to relax.

The rooms are excellent in the Executive area where I stayed, and the staff in the Business lounge are really welcoming and cant do enough for you.

The general areas in the hotel though could do with some paint and this let down the hotel abit.

The pool area was pleasant, although why they did not serve any drinks there when they had bottles on display I do not know. OK you could phone Room Service from a phone at the bar and they would come and bring drinks/food to you by the pool, but why the people in the pool area could not do this for you I do not know.

Being a non-muslim, not having any pork on the menu, even any real bacon or ham at breakfast seemed weird. They have beef/chicken equivalent but not the same. However, I know that this is mainly a Muslim country and therefore I accept their beliefs, just when I got home I could not wait to get bacon sandwich :-)

The breakfast food was good as there was a great variety, and I could not complain about any of the food I had there. The Japanese and Italian restaurants were also good but don't havea Pizza - this was very disappointing.

All in all a good hotel, but I have a problem rating higher than a 3.5 star.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Executive upgrade. This gives you a better room and also access to the Executi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed in this hotel under a group booking - given the size of the hotel, it seems that many rooms are unused and hence have a mouldy smell. On top of it, I had a cockroach in my room on the 7th floor - never had such a thing in a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed at the Marriott Putrajaya hotel for a week and it has been a very pleasant experience. The hotel is grand not only from exteriors but also the rooms and interiors. Very spacious rooms, clean and comfortable beds. All the restaurants in the hotel are good and offer a variety of food. The hotel also has a regular bus service that takes you to Kuala Lumpur. I will definitely recommend this hotel for a first try.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is not my first review for this hotel, but after enjoying here another 3 weeks at this hotel, they just deserve another positive report.

My room was excellent, spacious, clean, comfortable and well equipped. In addition to the working chair, the room has 2 comfortable relaxing armchairs.
Bed is comfortable, and sleep quality was great.
Bathroom is spacious, including separate bathtub and a shower with a good stream of hot water at both of them. Toilet has a bidet.
In regular traffic, the hotel is just 30-35 minute drive from KLIA airport, and is located in a quiet lush green resort, away from the hustle and bustle of KL. On the other hand, it is so close to all major highways, so in no-time, you are on the way to anywhere. So no matter for business or pleasure, this is the best in the outskirts of KL, and the airport area..

Internet is free, and having both wired and WiFi broadband in all rooms, is very helpful for my 2 smart phones, saving international data roaming.
Bandwidth and speed was reasonable, but needs an upgrade to keep up.

As always, staff was helpful and extremely friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Rooms are pretty old, don't be fooled by the grand outlook, you're going to have breakfast with flies. Some staff doesn't seem to be bothered and are just chatting with each other.
Good water pressure in the shower though.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

My family and I took the holiday package at Marriott Putrajaya for a weekend escape. Prior arrival, Surati from reservation confirmed with me via email for early check in and a late check out. She also confirmed breakfast reservation via email for my family. So we I thought this was great! Unfortunately, none of the above was delivered! !

Check in process took more than 45mins. My room was not ready for early check in as promised. So after expressed my disappointment, they upgraded me to deluxe room with a view. My jaws dropped when I stepped in to the room eg an outdated room with wet carpet smell, a view with a whole bunch of trees in front of the small balcony, old furnitures and this is definitely not a deluxe room cateogry at a 5 star hotel. Hence I complained and they upgraded me to executive deluxe room with golf view. I must say that was a much better room because it is abit newer and cleaner. I was told that I was able to enjoy the executive lounge benefits but due to lack of proper communications, the senior butler told me I wasn't till they clarified with the staff at reception who gave me an upgrade. What a mess! The door bell in my room doesn't work. So you can imagine how well the hotel is maintained. It's a 11 yrs old hotel and the staff told me there isn't any major refurbishment.

You don't have to be excited even though you get to enjoy the benefits at the executive lounge. I was very disappointed with the food served at the lounge. Do not expect for canapes and cocktails. Ambience at the lounge is average. And they were rushing to close the food counter 30mins before it's times up. Not sensitive to guests who were just arrived at the lounge or go an extra mile to make a difference.

Swimming pool is huge. They have 3 pools and one specifically for kids with a slide. But the slide doesn't work because the water doesn't come out from the pump to make the slide slippery enough for kids to enjoy. We found the pool need to improve its hygiene. Our kids nevertheless still enjoy themselves.

Breakfast at Zest was good. They have quite a wide selections. I like the roti canai counter but it was a shame that they did not prepare enough to accommodate their guests. We also like the mee mamak. Fresh juices counter had a long quene and seems like they were lack of manpower. We had a decent breakfast to start our day. Again do not expect quality breakfast like other 5 stars hotels.

Kiddies world was another disappointment. PSP were not available. Reason being was they were stolen. I doubt the hygiene in the kiddies world. I don't see any sanitizer at the club. There wasn't any attendant at the club. Isn't it strange?? This creates inconvenience to parents. I had to call 3x and waited for more than 40 minutes to know their PSP were unavailable. Kids were disappointed.

In summary, Marriott putrajaya is more for corporate meeting or team building events. They have many ballroooms and meeting facilities that can accommodate big group.

Quality of services and hotel need lots of improvement. Hope they will have some refurbishment for their rooms and car park.

• Stayed: September 2013