“Thankfully I Was Only There One Night”

Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Putrajaya
Singapore, Singapore
“Thankfully I Was Only There One Night”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is not even close to a 5 star hotel. A truly awful experience last week. First of all the architecture and set up is strange with the design more like a cheap imitation of a sheiks palace - a theme which continues in the bedroom but more on that later. Arrive in the below ground car park and then up 1 level to reception.

The writing was on the wall at check in. I have a bad habit so asked for a smoking room but was told "just open the window" - a rather worrying approach if you happen to be the poor non smoker using the room after me. I was told if I wanted an ashtray I would have to request this from housekeeping. Gee! Thanks for your help then!

Arriving after 10pm at night and being on a business trip, all I wanted was to get to my room, check my email, have a soft drink, a shower and get to sleep. Having checked in I was then directed through what I can only describe as a dark back passage, across a courtyard to another building and up one level to the room. Weird.

Got to the room to discover a strange mustard yellow colour of paint on sections of the wall coupled with moorish style "window frames" in sparkly silver on every wall - presumably someones idea of tasteful design!! Yeugh! I don't think it would have been tasteful 20 odd years ago being the period around which I am guessing the rooms were last updated - definitely showing more than a few signs of age. in to the very dark bathroom to be greeted by a sink painted (at least i think it was paint cos it was peeling off) in a disgusting burgundy colour.(oh and let's not forget the pebbledash on the walls and step up in to the bath) One really has to question whether the interior designer was taking illegal substances when they designed this room!!!!

Decor aside, this must be the last hotel on the planet with no Internet cable in the room. Remarkable in this day and age! Ok I thought, forget the e-mail just have a drink, shower and get to bed. Oh how wrong one can be! There was one thing in the mini bar - a plastic sign telling me how many drinks and snacks they had to offer! Not helpful!

At least the shower was ok in terms of pressure and temperature although I had to wash all the hairs presumably from a previous occupant, away before I could get in. Nice! Not!

So finally to bed. 4 pillows 2 of which take up half the size of the bed. Ok discard them as you can't sleep with your head and torso on the bed and your waist and legs sticking out the end. That leaves the other 2 pillows which are approx 1cm thick thereby offering zero support. A call to reception led to my being informed that those are " our standard pillows and we don't have any others".

So despite the fact I had 2 public speaking engagements the following day, I resigned myself to getting no sleep at all which turned out precisely to be the case, although not as I thought at the time, due to the complete lack of neck and head support. What kept me awake all night were hotel staff coming and going through the heavy wooden service door which at 3am I established was right across from my room. Every 10 minutes ( or so it seemed) a member of staff came through and promptly banged the door shut! Thanks guys - it's not like there would be guests asleep at that time is it????

As for breakfast the following morning, don't even start me on that. Lets just say that after waiting a few minutes myself and a colleague worked out nobody was going to be asking us if we wanted tea or coffee and it went rapidly downhill from there.

In summation, if you think this is a 5 star hotel you need to get out a lot more, if you are used to staying in mid-level business hotels like Intercon or Shangrila, don't come within 500m of this place as you will hate it and if you are used to staying more high end like MO or St Regis I assume you are not even reading this review, but if by chance you are, don't come within 5km of this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SJD1509
Loison, General Manager at Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I regret that you did not enjoy our unique hotel architecture being the icon of Malaysia showcasing the four ethnies of the country.
Wifi is provided free of charge in every room and public areas while minibar is set up on request.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We took a weekend retreat at Malaysia. As we were a group of two family they gave us an upgrade to have the rooms connected. Very coordial staff with beautiful well spread setting next to the lake.
We took the seafood buffet on friday night and the food was awesome. The hotel is very kids friendly, so had other activities that the kids would enjoy. Being a short distance from KL helped us to stay away from the hustle bustle of the city.

Would highly recommend....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Loison, General Manager at Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is always great to hear from a satisfied customer. We value all feedback and continually strives to have happy customers.
Paris, France
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in this hotel because it is at about 25 minutes from KLIA, so it was very easy to go there and a very very very charming situation !! Very nice hotel with very good equipment !! Our booking was for a superior room but we were upper grade in a deluxe one. Beds are very goods, the room very big, well decorated. It is very clean too !!! We appreciated the situation near the lake so it was possible to walk around. The place is perfect. Taxi from the airport is 65 Myr for one way. We bought a voucher taxi at the airport, in front of the way out just after luggage recuperation . It is an office with yellow colour. The price is fixed. We paid the same price to go back because we booked the taxi by calling from the hotel. All was perfect !
I add more congratulations to people working there ! Everybody was very nice and helpful with us: in the lobby at the reception, in restaurants, bars ..... Always smiling and efficient ! We took breakfast which was a buffet with a lot of choice, and good too... We took dinner too in the restaurant called : B's. It was a buffet too with a big choice and very well cooked. ,The restaurant is nice and clean too. No doubt : this hotel is an excellent one !!! We 'll choose it for our next trip near Kuala Lumpur or even for a transit ! Congratulations to the manager for his team and very nice hotel !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pf35
Loison, General Manager at Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went for an one night stay for a sporting event.
The hotel seemed unaware of the event and were unprepared fornthe extra equipment the participants brought along

Fortunately the guys "on the ground" helped whenever and wherever they could... That made the difference

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments. Not sure which sport event you are referring to.
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Breath taking design and surroundings! The staff is very helpful, being a hotelier myself, i know how it felt to deal with guest of all behaviour especially during peak hour. Nicholas (Reception) was very helpful as he personally escort me to my room and even went down twice to the lobby as the door key wouldn't work. We stayed at Rafflesia Wing in a double single bed room. The amenities was splendid, the bathroom design was very mesmerizing. Excellent choice for those who wish to experience luxurious stay during their stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Loison, General Manager at Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Brisbane
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed for the Moto GP with lots of like minded travellers, would have been great if hotel had put on shuttles to track but otherwise an amazing place to stay, beautiful gardens to wander with lots of photo opps, great food for all meals morning to late night and the best staff i have encountered anywhere in Malaysia, efficient and warm friendly attention without being overwhelming, they got i just right !!! i will be back to stay again Janet Orange

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Loison, General Manager at Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Putrajaya
Putrajaya Shangri-La
#3 of 9 in Putrajaya
The Everly Putrajaya
The Everly Putrajaya
#4 of 9 in Putrajaya

Been to Pullman Putrajaya Lakeside? Share your experiences!