“Amazing Hotel, Dismal Breakfast”
Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Taipei, Taiwan
“Amazing Hotel, Dismal Breakfast”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

G Hotel is a great location right across from the water with excellent views from rooms on the front side of the hotel. There are shops and restaurants just behind and beside. There is a great hawker center just a short walk away. The lobby is opulent and elegant. The hotel smells great. The room was big, and I liked having the bed in the center of the room rather than pushed against a wall. The toiletries smelled fantastic. Overall, I was very impressed with the hotel. The staff, who didn't always understand our requests, were still very helpful and worked through until they did understand and were able to help us. I didn't get a chance to see the gym, but the pool looked nice from my room.
Then I walked into the breakfast restaurant. I have uploaded a picture, which I rarely do, because I was in a complete state of shock with what I saw when I entered the restaurant. Every table, not an exaggeration, every table was dirty (see pic). There were no visible staff members in the restaurant when I entered, and I saw about two the entire time I was in the restaurant. I had to move dirty plates off the table I wanted to use and could only hope that the cutlery was clean. The staff I did later see were moving at a glacial pace not really concerned with getting the restaurant back to what it should be. No one ever approached my table or offered any service of any kind. The food wasn't the worst I have ever had but definitely did not reflect the standards of the rest of the hotel. It was the worst breakfast experience I have ever had. To top it off, there were three staff members standing at the front door chatting as I left, including what I can only assume is the manager as he was suited, who smiled and told me to have a good day as I left! Knock off the conversation and get busy! I thought I was being overly sensitive until my colleagues, who had already dined and left by the time I arrived, both brought it up to me separately later in the day. They were equally disappointed.
I will go back, and the hotel is fantastic. But wow do they need to work on the breakfast!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, May 27, 2014

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to read that you are impressed with our rooms, lobby and the newly introduced luxury toiletries brand - Appelles.
At the same time, I was very sorry to read and see the unpleasant breakfast experience you had. This is totally unacceptable for our usual high standard and I have discussed your feedback with our Food & Beverage team to ensure similar incidents do not occur in the future.

Once again, thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I sincerely hope you will give us an opportunity to show the correct level of service G Hotel is renowned for.

Michael Hanratty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I was upgraded to an exec suite for my 2 night stay. Huge suite with seperate bedroom to lounge. Flat screen TV in both lounge and bedroom. Full fridge/freezer in little kitchen with a small free (yes, free) minibar - soft drink, juice, soy milk & kit kat bars. Complimentary bottled water too. View out of the lounge window was of the carpark next door....if you leaned on the right angle you could see the beach and the view from the bedroom window was of the hotel swimming pool. I didn't eat breakfast but the buffet lunch and morning/afternoon teas put on for the conference was lovely. Fresh food and heaps of variety - asian and western food. The chilli prawns were amazing and so was the peanut butter cheesecake! At check in I was given a small sample portion of strawberry ice cream which was lovely. Wifi was included in the room rate but I did experience some trouble with it dropping out (probably more sensitive to this given I was here for work & needeed to work). Staff were friendly and accommodating. Nice range of wine at the bar. Bed is a bit hard and the drains in the bathroom stink a bit :(

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside facing room

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Firstly, thank you for your recent stay with us and it is our great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

I was concerned to read of the shortfall such as the unstable internet connection, stink drainage etc. and have discussed with the relevant departments to ensure this does not occur in the future. Our apologies for these shortcomings.

We are grateful for your support and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future to show the usual high level of service delivered at G Hotel.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I haven't been staying at this hotel for a good few years and it was rather refreshing to check back into this place. There aren't many changes in terms of the room. The design remains simple yet comfortable. The room is spacious and it is still well maintained. The deluxe room is able to cater to 3 pax (adults comfortably) or two adults with two toddlers. Please request for an extra bed in that process. The extra bed costs additional RM90.00.

The checking in process was effiecient and the room was already ready when I approached the receptionist. However, they didn't fulfilled my advanced request for a sea view room which I had to request again at the counter.

If you're driving to this premise, be sure to be annoyed with the idea of validating the parking ticket each time you're leaving the premise. I would strongly suggest for the hotel to come up with a more effective method in handling this. Or to have a designated counter to validate the tickets as each time it seems to be a queue at the front desk which is not very pleasant for all guests.

The breakfast at the hotel was lovely. A standard range of food choices. Do expect to be greeted with a big smile by the kind gentlemen at the restaurant. He seemed to recognize the guests which was wonderful. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get his name.

Overall, the experience was amazing. Perfect location. The hotel is connected to Gurney Plaza and it is extremely convenient. I would definitely come back to this hotel for my next stay.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Michiko69

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

In regards to your comment of the parking validating system, we will definitely review this and see if there is a more efficient method of control.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Penang.

Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I am a frequent business traveller and had stayed in many hotels across Asia and Malaysia but the check-in experience at G Hotel in Penang was by far the worst. G Hotel required advance payment before arrival which I did and had requested for 2 rooms and for 2 nights on the higher floor. When I arrived at the hotel lobby at about 7:15p.m. May 4, 2014 I was not greeted by any of the hotel staff on duty. I had to wait in line to be served as there was only one staff in at the check-in counter who happened to be addressing other hotel guests over other issues!!! After about 10 minutes later she finally asked me if I am here to check-in? I said yes and produced the print out I had with me to show I my reservation number and payment receipts. At this point still no greeting whatsoever! Then I asked to check if my request for rooms on the higher floor made during my reservation and payment 2 weeks ago has been addressed (since I am a light sleeper and do not want my sleep to be affected by the road noise). The staff told me that there were no rooms available except for level 4 which is the lowest level of the Hotel!. I protested and said that I have made the request 2 weeks ago! With no apology at this point she just said to me that "there are no rooms available"!!!! I gave up talking to her as she obviously has no idea on customer service whatsoever. Then she proceeded to issue the room access cards to me and my colleague again without any apology but to our horror this staff asked us what time we would be checking out? I inquired if she needed us to check out early and she just said check-out time is 12:00 noon! I told her we will check out by 10:00a.m. as we have a meeting to attend. I could not believe this hotel could treat their hotel guest in this manner!!! As my work schedule in Penang was packed with appointments and meetings I could not be bothered to raise any complaint at the hotel but when I checked in the room (room 414 by the way)I discovered another horror, there were water rust stain in the toilet floor, shower wall had mildew and there were cracked tiles as well on the wall. The mirror in the toilet was chipped at the bottom!!! I will never ever stay in this hotel in Penang.

Room Tip: Corner room will be hot as the room is L shaped and aircond airflow does not point to the bed.
6 Thank roccolim168
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, May 13, 2014

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

First and foremost, I was very sorry to note your comments regarding the level of service you received during your stay and I want to apologise that our staff let you down on this occasion.

We train and remind all our staff to be helpful and courteous however from the circumstance which you describe are certainly not acceptable for our standards. Please rest assured that I had raised your feedback to our Front Office Manager for service improvement.

In regards to the room cleanliness and defect, I can understand how disappointing this must have been. Usually any such faults are detected and rectified prior to the room being allocated, our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We understand your impression to the hotel has been marred however we do hope you will give us an opportunity to make amend and welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Hotel location is nice but very limited facilities. The plus point here is the service is great. Location being sandwich between 2 shopping plaza is good for the business people with family. Hotel room is clean. Just shower no bath. Overall, not worth the price paid.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Our stay was pleasant, faultless. The staff are friendly during check in and throughout our stay. The room is clean and big and comes with comfortable bed. There is a shopping mall located next to it. Nice experience at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your positive comments about our room, location and excellent service rendered by our associates.

Once again, we look forward to the pleasure to welcoming you back in the future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 2, 2014

G Hotel is a well hotel with stylish design and well-maintained facilities. We lived on Executive Floor in a two-bedroom suite. The room is comfortable with a wide living room and open kitchen. The room is clean and we loved it. The service is OK, we are provided welcome ice cream upon arrival in the Lounge. We had our breakfast in both the Executive lounge and the buffet restaurant on 3rd floor. Breakfast in the Lounge is good with little but fresh and high-quality choices. It is more comfortable to have breakfast in the Lounge than in the restaurant although the restaurant offered a greater variety. The swimming pool is well with crystal water, it is wide and clean. Parking is also free and the car park is wide enough. The location is also fine, it only took us 5 minutes walk to the New Gurney Night Bazaar and it is located sea side.Overall, it is a medium-well hotel.

Room Tip: Live on Executive Floor
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Firstly, thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation. We are delighted to read that you enjoy your overall stay with us.

Once again, we do hope you will choose to stay with us again when travel bring you back to Penang.

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang
Seven Terraces
Seven Terraces
#1 of 84 in George Town

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!