“Well trained staff made this visit a pleasure” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Cambridge
“Well trained staff made this visit a pleasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

What a difference the staff made to our stay - without exception they were charming and efficient. We were on business and this was just an overnight stop with breakfast included (very good with plenty of choice and a delightful, newly appointed food and beverages manager who struck me as the sort of man who won't tolerate less than the best). The hotel decor is Asian chic which looks a little dated. The entrance overlooks the water and the rear of the vast reception/bar area leads out to a huge shopping centre with a large array of restaurants, mostly chains like Dome and Nando's. My only complaint was the bed which has a wooden shelf surround which is a devil if you need to get up during the night - you can't help knocking your legs against it. Would not hesitate to use the G hotel for a return visit to this delightful city.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CambridgeElizabeth
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, February 26, 2014

Greetings from g Hotel!

I would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your opinion with us. It is our great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and was impressed with the service from our staff.

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise which I have highlighted to the team.

In regards to the bed, please be assured that I will look into it during our upcoming renovation.

Once again thank you for your valuable review and I look forward to the opportunity to be of service again.

Michael Hanratty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Amazing and excellent hotel whose staff are very polite,everyone makes you feel welcomeand will do anything to help. Excellent location in close proximity to all the shopping. Excellent service from staff at reception,concierge,executive lounge and throughout the hotel. Enjoyed our family stay at Executive Floor bteakfast and cocktail hour was fabulous. Rooms are beautifully appointed. Executive floor Supervisor Mr Lahkesh is excellent. He made our stay special for us and he is qualified as G hotel Ambassador. Will definitely stay at G hotel again. Would recommend friends to stay at this hotel. Well done,good job.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Rozena A

Greetings from g Hotel!

I would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your opinion with us. It is our great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and impress with the service from our staff.

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the attention of our team and also Mr Lahkesh, to let them know that his effort to provide excellent service is being appreciated.

Once again thank you for your visit and I look forward to the pleasure to welcoming you back in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel is in a good location and the rooms are nice (although the bed was hard). The big problem with the G Hotel was that on Sunday Morning Feb 16, 2014, I awoke at 9am to the sound of banging hammers and the sound of my door trying to be opened on the outside. Why? Because the hotel management decided that Sunday morning at 9am is a good time to start remodeling the hotel's 6th floor by ripping out and replacing the carpets. I received no real apology from the front desk manger. He said he would bring the issue up to his manager. Also, my shoes were ruined by the adhesive from the carpet....really sticky like tar. But the desk manager didn't care. Anyway, I frequently go to Penang and usually stay at the E&O (which I highly recommend). This was my first time at the G Hotel. Don't make the same mistake. Stay at a hotel where the management cares about its guests. The hotel remodel is in the control of the management 100%, but they picked 9am on Sunday to do it. They did not even warn us in advance when the room was booked or during check in. I could have gotten another room or better yet another hotel. For a hotel that allegedly has style, it certainly has NO CLASS!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Bill B

Greetings from g Hotel!

First and foremost, on behalf of our Management and Staff, I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the incident during your recent stay.

Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is clearly apparent which has failed in this regard. Please be assured that we have already taken the appropriate corrective measures in terms of our process implementation so that we may avoid such future occurrence of this nature. I offer you no excuses for our shortcomings and I assure you that the incident does not reflect our usual high standard of services. I do hope you will give us another chance to provide the proper service expected from our guest.

Once again our sincere apologies and thank you for your constructive feedback.

Barrington, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Probably my new favorite in Penang for convenience to the city.
I did not realize i booked an exec floor. Check in on the 15th floor lounge was nice. Showcases the seaview from the lounge.

I too liked the icecream and drink while waiting for my key. I realized after that the icecream is also offered for regular checkin. Still nice regardless.

Room is great, although only seaview is a small end of my room, where the sofa and tv was. Rest was view of the apartments or offices across. Not what i call a great view. But it was fine.

There are not enough electrical sockets (2 on the work desk), nothing near the beds.
I forgot my usb cable for my phone, and front desk had nothing to help me. no chargers to loan or to rent.
The bed, while big, was not as comfortable as the global chains like Hiltons, marriots, sheratons.
And yes, room is showing mild wear, need to update/fix to keep ahead of market. My shower had a leak in the ceiling just above the shower head, and water temperature was not consistent.

Gym and pool was just fine, no issues there with wear and tear.
Make your appointments for spa, as I could not get anything at night, nor the morning after.

Breakfast spread was awesome in the ground floor restaurant. Western, eastern, and local dishes to your delight. I tried in the lounge on the second day. Just as nice, yes a bit smaller selection, but still the key items were there. Western and local dishes. I would say, what was missing was the "filler" items, which i didnt care for anyway. There was also a cook to order egg, pancakes and french toast station. So Lounge breakfast is a big plus. Considering that most other hotel lounge breakfast is really just a conti brkfst.

Otherwise, very accommodating staff, very chic hotel for penang.
My preference would be a few nights here for town activities and eating in town. Then off to ferringhi for a few nights of beach.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review to allow others to have a better perspective of G Hotel.

I appreciate the few areas you've highlighted which I will definitely look into how the hotel can improve to raise our standard of services. My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and I look forward to seeing you at the hotel.

Klang, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I booked and stayed at the Executive Floor. Would have to say the whole stay was pleasant. Enjoyed the ice cream presented upon check in - brilliant idea to buy some waiting time during checking in. The evening cocktail was good with a great selection of beverages - which included sparkling wine which is always replenished on time. Associates were all friendly. Spa was great and relaxing. Tried the breakfast at the coffeehouse - fabulous spread. Strategic location too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have been staying at G Hotel for many years now - whenever I am in Penang, I am there..

My reasons for staying here aren't really as much about the hotel than about the location. The hotel is pretty "so so" but the location on the best end of Gurney Drive is really convenient. It's right next to a good hawker food court, and is virtually attached to Gurney Plaza which is a great shopping center with everything from restaurants to shops.

So why don't I rate G Hotel any higher? It's because of the "wear n tear" of this hotel.. for example:

- carpets, curtains, furniture of rooms are starting to fall apart/stained/worn
- gym equipment, though plentiful, is in need of upgrading
- swimming pool chairs/mattresses are looking sad & aged
- even the bathroom towels need to be renewed as these aren't fluffy anymore

However, as discussed, the location is really convenient (maybe the best location overall in the island) and if this is important, then stay here. Service is fairly good and the doormen are nice and helpful (though they should spend less energy & time telling cars waiting for hotel guests to shove off!).

Room Tip: Don't bother with Deluxe Rooms as the extra size is pretty useless.. Standard Rooms are fine.