G Hotel Gurney
Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La(George Town)
$80
$72
Yeng Keng Hotel(George Town)
$100
$97
$73
$51
Travelocity
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
$114
$106
$51
$45
Cititel Penang(George Town)
$71
$52
Agoda.com
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
$61
$42
Spices Hotel(George Town)(Great Value!)
$67
$63
  • Breakfast included
Armenian Street Heritage Hotel(George Town)(Great Value!)
$64
$55
Muntri Mews(George Town)
$103
getaroom.com
  • Restaurant
1,754 results
All reviewsexecutive floorwelcome ice creamshopping mallsea viewkit kathotel penangfree mini barfood centrebig shoppingmodern designbatu ferringhilocal foodupon checkhotel lobbychecking inextra bednight market
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We returned again to G-hotel for our annual visit to Penang, making this our third consecutive stay. Coincidentally, we were assigned the same L-suite (two adjoining bedrooms with a living room attached) in all our visits! Checking-in went off without a hitch and our rooms were ready and waiting when we arrived at 5pm.

The suite was very much the same as our last visit except for the addition of some black and white photos to the wall. While this helped made the living area more welcoming it could still do with a bit more effort. The furniture, doors and bathrooms were looking tired but the beds were welcoming. We arrived to squeaky air conditioning in the master bedroom but this was fixed within the next hour. The washing machine in the room was well used over our stay but it was a mission as each half load took at least 180 mins to dry. Soft drinks were still complementary and so was the laundry detergent and fabric softener.

A buffet breakfast was included in our room rate. This was served at the cafe as well as the Executive Lounge for those with access. We opted for the lounge to avoid the crowds and while breakfast was supposed to be between 6-10 am, it was good to see that the 10 am cut off was not strictly enforced as guests were still straggling in around 9.45 am every morning of our stay. The lounge attendants were polite and helpful and the lady chef served really nice French toast! Cocktails and finger foods are available at the lounge in the evenings for those interested.

The pool and gym area on the 3rd floor is still well kept and a pleasure to use. Service at the Danai Spa which was average last year had improved and the therapists are now mainly local Malaysians. The cafe waiting staff however, are not attentive if you choose to sit outdoors. We chatted for an hour at one of the tables before anyone approached to ask if we wanted coffee! This occurred on two occasions and while coffee would have been good, we were not totally miffed as we were happy to have space to catch up with friends.

I noticed several reviews in November/December about theft but this was not an issue that we faced. On one occasion, the housekeeping lady who kept our rooms tidy, even insisted that my husband keep money belonging to our son left on his bedside table before we left the room!

I would return to g-Hotel but it is time for refurbishment if the hotel is intending to keep its 5-star rating and room tariff at the high end. Service was generally good and requests were attended to quickly and efficiently. The hotel provides an airport transfer service for about RM90. This is about twice the local taxi fare but is worth it if travelling in a group with reasonable amount of luggage. The driver taking us on the outbound journey was knowledgable about routes and got us to the airport in good time at peak traffic on Friday morning.

Oh! I was told that a second G-Hotel is opening later in 2014 near the original hotel. It will straddle Gurney Plaza and Paragon, the two shopping centres in the area. One of the Executive Lounge managers suggested that we try it for our next stay.

Room Tip: The L-suite comprising two adjoining bedrooms and a living room is spacious and good for a family of four. It also has a kitchenette and laundry facilities.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again for the third consecutive time during your annual visit to Penang and taking the time to write this detailed review.

I am pleased that overall your stay with us was a good one but I am however concerned to read about the café staff who were not attentive. Please be assured that I have spoken with our Director of Food & Beverage who will ensure that staff are retrained to be attentive to guest needs and to review the staffing levels to provide better service. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for affirming us on our security and safety as we at g Hotel takes guest’s safety very seriously and I am glad to read that the housekeeping lady insisted that your husband keep the money before leaving the room. It is always best to be alert and aware of our belongings to prevent any mishaps.

Once again, thank you for your constructive review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Checked in around 3 pm and checked out around 10 am. Very smooth and fast. Was offered strawberry ice cream at check in.

Room is very spacious. Got the room that faces the swimming pool. We overheard the staff checking in the guests next to us that they will have to wait for the sea view rooms so we decided not to request for sea view room. Still can see some sea view when you look out of the lift lobby. Room has hair dryer, iron, kettle, safe box and disposable slippers. Safe box is big enough to put my laptop. Only hiccups I had were, (a) the safe box is a bit rusty (I think I mistaken it as locked when I first tried to open it and got the staff to open for me); (b) the marble floor in the bathroom is slippery when wet and the bathroom is bigger than usual so you literally have no where to grip if you fell in the middle of the bathroom. My mother fell and I called and was informed that the hotel does not have anti-slip mat. But they brought me five bath floor mats to cover the floor; and (c) the phone handset was not working when I called to request for anti-slip mat. The staff responded very promptly each time.

Free WIFI which according to the staff can connect up to eight devices.

Breakfast: Love it. Wide spread and they changed the cooked food for the two days. They also have the nasi-lemak in banana leafs and waffles counter (freshly made waffles which are crispy on the outside and soft in the inside, yummy). We were early for breakfast and there were many empty tables (when we arrived and left) but the staff still requested that we sit at table for two instead of table for four. This is a good practice and I hope they do it to all guests.

The hotel is about 40 minutes by taxi from airport. Good for foodie and shopaholic. Has sheltered link to Gurney Plaza. You can walk to Gurney Drive Food Market from Gurney Plaza. Gurney Plaza is before the bus stop whereas Gurney Drive Food Market is after the bus stop. On the right of the hotel after a condominium is Gurney Paragon Mall.

Room Tip: Rooms that ends with 10, 12 and 14 face the swimming pool. Bring rubber slippers to wear in bathroom.
1  Thank Simply1005

Greetings from g Hotel!

First of all, thank you for your kind words in regards to the excellent service you received during your stay and your comments have been shared with our team, to let them know that their effort to provide quality service is being appreciated.

My sincere apologies for the rusty safe box and the slippery marble floor which caused your mother to fall. Please be assured that we at g Hotel take guest’s safety very seriously and I will personally look into how we can improve the safety of the marble floor in the bathroom during our upcoming renovation and in the meantime, will purchase some anti-slip bath mats should our guest require one.

Once again, thank you for your valuable review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My first ever visit to Malaysia - and a flying visit with friends it was - included a night on the top floor in Penang's G Hotel.
Seriously stylish, the hotel foyer is vast and spacious, but visitors to the Executive Floors have to check in on level 15, which is slightly confusing. Once checked in, however, you're treated to two types of home-made ice cream in the nearby lounge and can choose from a selection of drinks and nibbles, while overlooking the beachfront.
The rooms are commodious and comfortable, with everything you need at your fingertips, including a free minibar. Yes, it's just soft drinks and a couple of Kit Kats, but free! That's along with the lovely welcome gift of a small box of local delicacies, free wifi and late checkout. Lovely touches.
Plus we'd booked a package that included a buffet breakfast, which we took in the restaurant adjoining the lobby. So much choice; they almost had to wheel us out.
The hotel is right opposite the beachfront, with a small hawkers market nearby selling local delicacies.
For the shopaholics, it's ideally located literally between two large shopping centres and taxis are easily accessible at the front of the hotel.
A fine first stay in Penang, which I hope won't be my last. And I'd definitely be back for another hit of the 'G' on my return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your first ever visit to Malaysia and taking the time to write this review.

It is great to read that your first stay with us was a great one however, my apologies for the confusion during check in. Please be informed that guest who stays in our Executive Rooms are able to check in either at the lobby or at the Executive Floor however I am sorry this hasn’t been clearly communicated to you.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and we too hope it won’t be your last visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again with us in the near future.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The good thing about G hotel is the location, conveniently located to Gurney Plaza and Paragon Gurney and the famous Gurney Drive hawker centre. If you drive, car park is readily available for hotel guests too. We unfortunately got a 4th floor room and as indicated by another contributor, some issue with sewerage smells in the bathroom. In terms of comfort, the bed wasn't very comfortable although it's big enough to fit 3 adults. I did however absolutely love that they leave us with enough floor towels (1 floor mat at the sink area, 1 floor towel for the bathrub and 1 for the shower cubicle) which is so lacking in many other hotels. Price-wise, this is almost the same price as hotels on Batu Ferringhi beach so I personally don't know if it's worth it especially since we visit Penang often and have tried various Penang hotels that were more value-for-money.

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Pros : spacious room, good view facing sea, the twin bed quite spacious that can acommodate 2 adults, clean, free mini bar, free wifi with good connection, between 2 malls: Gurney Plaza and Paragon Gurney, near gurney drive hawker center and several restaurants, good service from receptionist, good and clean pool.
Cons : the extra bed was run out when I need it, far from downtown that is not in the walking distance and have to take a taxi, no newspaper provided in the room, limited TV channels

The taxi service in Penang needs a lot of improvement, rarely a taxi uses meter although there is a warning sign to use a meter in its doors.

Ask for a room facing sea for a good view.

• Stayed: December 2013
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to write this review with the pros and cons of our hotel. I am sorry that we couldn’t provide you with the extra bed which was due to our high occupancy but this is not an excuse. We will review the par level to ensure we don’t have this issue in the future and I do apologise for this inconvenience. In regards to newspapers, our Guest Service Center or Receptionist will be more than willing to send the newspaper to your room.