“Off to a very bad start......... then it improved (bit long!)”
Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #16 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Booked a three nights stay through the G Hotels own website. A Superior Kingbed Seaview room was booked and a confirmation was sent to me by email, the room was booked nearly 5 weeks prior to our stay.

After getting a taxi from the airport using the txt system costing 38MYR, we had the most rude and obnoxious taxi driver I have encountered in a long while. If I was a first time visitor to Malyasia or the area it would give a very bad first impression.

On arrival at the hotel a porter collected our bags with a warm welcome and a smile (taxi driver take note), and helped us with our bags, perhaps the person who trains the porterage staff should take a look at the front of house staff that were on that evening........

As you enter the hotel its quite an impressive lobby area very modern, with lots of seating areas which seem to be in two parts the bar area to the back and the reception to the front, As said before the reception runs into the bar in one long counter, as we approached the check in we had to interupt a 'girlie chat' between two staff who you could see had no interest whats so ever of actually making an effort to be either polite or pleasent, no welcome to the hotel do you wish to check in Sir/Madam? As I handed over my booking confirmation, not a word was spoken from the receptionist, then a few mins later just given a key for the 12th floor..... that was it ...... I had to ask what room I had been given as I had a feeling as we were checking in late (8.00pm) there may be problems. Sure enough (should of put a bet on with Ladbrokes for this one!) we were given a totally diffrent room! A Twin Bedded Pool facing room, er no thanks. After the 'its the only one available, and we can put the two beds together' and being informed that people book weeks in advance for these rooms, er yes me too, 5 weeks ago and you accepted the booking.
I had also sent emails 3 times to explain that we would be arriving late on in the evening and that all was ok with the booking to which I recived no reply (hence sending 3) Then another equally un helpful and totally disinterested receptionist came over started saying that as I had booked with a third party(?) I should take it up with them..... Sorry bonny lass I booked it with the G Hotels own website which I now know does not handle its own bookings, so be aware of this.
So not being fobbed off and wanting what I had booked I wanted to talk to the manager. He did eventually come out and all in all we go a delux room with a Kingbed Sea Facing, but still stating as we booked with a third party , and rooms get booked up in advance etc, etc, etc. Not a good introduction to the G hotel, having been waiting around now for nearly 45 mins, the receptionist neather made an attempt to appologise or give any indication of how our booking was not honoured.

It was left to the porter who we spoke to to show us where the lifts were.

Room was of a good size and on the corner of the building, with great views over the sea (which is why we wanted a sea view...)modern with internet access which was free. Plenty of wardrobe space but not draw space, safe minibar, which strangely enough contained only one of each item , 1 beer 1 coke, 1 orange... But the room had only one pair slippers, one bathrobe, one chair........
Loved the bathroom, lots of room and bright, large shower, sept toilet both in glass cubicles, (the seals had gone on both the doors) the bath was next to the window which overlooked the sea with a great view again. Bit sparten on the toiletries, no body lotion or conditioner. Good number of towels.

Bar area downstairs ok, staff very efficient here if not very friendly, had one drink but decided no to have another when lots of kids appeared in PJs drinking cans of coke laying all over the seats and sofas, (no adults with them) and a large family came in from Starbucks with thier carry outs of coffee sitting in the bar........

Did go to the G Spot (!) bar to listen to the jazz singer, had a very nice couple of hours in there, the atmosphere was good and the crowd that were in were all enjoying the music, would visit here again. Staff polite and again efficient and well trained.

Breakfast buffets are usually a sore point with me, and the case here was really no exception, but the food did seem to be on the whole better quiality as over quantity as in other hotels. What really made the difference here was the waiting staff who were all very nice and friendly whith a cheery smile for all (reception take note) and tables were cleared quickly and food replenished well. And they served my fav make of tea, which was a big thumbs up!

We liked the pool,area but be aware that there is quite a lot of building work going on next door, and at one point 17 workmen were just sitting watching the pool area and people swimming which was off putting. Staff were non existent, with towels etc on our first visit and you have to ask in the gym if you want to use a locker for you things.

I asked for a one hour extension on the room to check out at 1.00pm(I was quite willing to pay for this) but told it was busy...... on a Sunday night .... ok

Upon checking out the recptionist, (a very pregnant lady), was very professional, polite and total opposite to the check in staff we had, she asked if we had had a nice stay and conducted the whole check out in such a nice way.

Taxi back to the airport (38MYR) was a different experience also, had the most entertaining guy driving, with his stories and opinions had us laughing all the way to the airport, what a good way to leave after such a bad start, for that he got a good tip, well worth it!

The G hotel is only over one year old and showing signs of been knocked about quite a bit it places, bar toilet broken, sinks out of order, chairs and tables looking worn already (including in our room), but they really need to do something about staff training and look at the booking procedure on their own website and not blame problems with a third party. Would I vist again, no, did we (eventually) enjoy our stay, yes for the location, and pool and the G Spot, and the staff in the b/fast rest.

• Stayed: June 2008
4  Thank Englandsscout
There are newer reviews for G Hotel Gurney

Reviewed June 9, 2008

Stayed at G Hotel during the June school hols with family. Prior to this, I had read reviews about this hotel and mostly were negative, but I wanted to give it a try anyways. The hotel decor was great with this big, spacious lobby which is also accessible to the Gurney Plaza next door - just few steps away. Extremely convenient.

The staff were also friendly and helpful - concierge, front desk, cafe, hse-keeping, etc - I had nothing to complain about; though checking in was bit late cos room wasnt prepared on time. Apart from that, everything else was just great.

The Exec Suite was spacious with great decor. Food was good. Good spread of bf. Enjoyed the spa too.

Overall, we had a great fun time and will definitely come back on our next visit to Penang.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2008

G hotel IS a new hotel located along the famous Guerney Drive in Penang. It is also connected to the shopping center and a short walk to the hawkers center. Everything you wish for in Penang within walking distance in a great new hotel that looks more like a futuristic art gallery.
The rooms are large and wide, has broadband internet access, a ipod dock that charges and plays your ipod and sounds good too, and most importantly of all, a beautiful ocean view.
The Only thing is that most rooms do not have balconies. Only the suites (limited) have balconies.
The hotel has got its own underground parking as well. I will definitely be returning to this hotel on my next trip to Penang.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple

Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
#2 of 11 in Batu Ferringhi
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!