“Nice place, close to the mall and Street market food”
Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Nice place to stay, with the Gurney Plaza just next to it.
I particularly enjoyed the street market food just 500 m away.
The beach is not pretty but even though the sunset its amazing from the top floors.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PamelaCR506

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Loved the interior designs of the hotel, the moment we stepped into its lobby. The counter staffs were pleasant & efficient in serving us (they allowed us to check in prior to the stipulated check-in time of 2pm). The lobby also had a G cafe, as well as a counter bar.

Location wise was perfect, as it was located in front of the sea/beach, which allowed us to observe low/high tide timings for the day. Not to mention, next to a big shopping mall Gurney Plaza - where I shopped for a nice swimming costume (as the infinity pool was too irresistable to jump in due to the crazy hot weathers esp in the afternoons). The gym also had a perfect full-length seaview, to enjoy whilst working out (love it!). Breakfast was available for a reasonable price of RM25 per pax, but sadly I didnt get the chance to try it.

At night - the street market (aka pasar malam) was available, along with the food centre (oddly they operate in late afternn/ at night only) where we got to taste many varieties of foods. Small shophouses were also available along the drive to the hotel, where I finally managed to grab a packets of coffees home (as well as taste the many different flavours such as tiramisu/ durian/ cappucino).

Recommended for those, who enjoys being near the sea & don't mind paying abit more for an enjoyable experience!

Room Tip: May wish to request for a seaview room, if possible!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed in G-hotel for 5 nights. Booked two rooms - they couldn't give us a connecting room as we requested but thanks to the staff who gave us at least one seaview room. When I booked the hotel I didn't know much about Georgetown so I was a little worried about the location as it was not exactly in the city centre. However, it turned out to be in a very pleasant area. The neighbourhood was nice with a shopping mall nearby which was very convenient. It was also easy to get to town. I love the 24 hour cafe - we arrived very late on the first day so it was helpful, good food, so we went there again before we left. Our package didn't include breakfast so we lied in every morning, sometimes we went in and out our room to/from the shopping mall next door. With the cleaning sign hung outside the door when you wanted cleaning, our room was ready when we were back. Spacious room, simple but decent and modern decoration. Good swimming pool. The only thing is that I didn't expect there was no bath tub and we did not get the complimentary ice-cream!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennifer C
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Recently had an excellent experience at G Hotel, the location is perfect close to Georgetown and a short taxi ride to Batu Ferringhi, plenty of taxis outside for easy access and a great shopping complex next door.

Free wifi is awesome and the facilities first rate,gym is particularly good....

The staff, (maybe apart from one person who I'll put down as having a bad day), were brilliant, we will be staying here again for sure...

Room Tip: Sea facing room's are very nice to wake up in the morning to a view of the ocean..
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel is very nice and modern looking. The room is quite big, nice, clean and very comfortable. Really couldn't find any fault with the room.

The buffet breakfast is excellent. It has good selection of food and it tastes excellent. Really enjoyed the breakfast and of course, we ate too much :)

Next to the hotel is a big shopping mall with many choices of cafe and restaurant. The hawker center is also within walking distance, but they only open at night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed in G Hotel last week for two days for business. My company booked the hotel.
The room was ok, overlooking the sea at the fourth floor.
The bad experience started next day.
When i returned from work, the room was not cleaned. There were no sign issues. I thought no big deal, i will call front desk, goto gym. I called front desk reporting. Went to gym and when came back room was not cleaned. I was tired, hungry and since i would leave next day, I decided not to call again.
I ordered pizza, pick your three toppings option. I chose sausage, prawns and mushrooms. When the pizza came, it was green peppers, black olives and onions....Again I said no big deal i will call and change. 10 minutes later i get call from front desk that pizza cannot be changed. That is a mistery to me to this day. The front desk said that i would get communicated with the chef because he cannot make pizza without green peppers, black olives and onions. I told them that i didnt see why. Finally reception agreed to change. I waited, and waited and waited... Nobody came or called. I called again and I told them to cancel order and i would go out to eat and placed the tray out my door. I left and ate at Fridays next door
When I came back tray was gone. Next day I at checkout did see my order reversed in the bill. But surprise there was another dinner charged to me with different value, when I asked answer was that i ordered something else. Which I didnt of course. They fixed my bill, but was told that i would later get an email after investigation... What?? I said i wanted to settle all affairs right there... All this time the front desk clerk came in and out to talk to Manager which never even once came out. I wrote a big paragraph in the bill saying that i would not accept any charges. At the end the clerk said thanks for your stay and I left. So far no apologies, no calls nothing. Did get a standard feedback link which i will complete after this.. What else can I say? The worst experience.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank JRSpore
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Check in was fast as I arrived a little earlier. Stayed 2 nights in the superior room, was told no seaview for this room category but was given a corner lot which was still partially seaview, special thanks to the check in staff. And oh yes, there was complimentary ice-cream upon checking in as well, a nice gesture. Lobby was crowded, mainly with outsiders who took advantage of the free seats available near the lobby and the lounge. Room was just too spacious, adequately equipped, but it looks really bored. Bed was comfortable and huge, that can easily fit 2 adults and 2 children. And there was a pillow menu (a wide selection of pillow types) for the guest to choose from. Minibar was complimentary, which it adds a little surprise to the otherwise very dull room. Bathroom has... NO BATH TUB!! WHY?? And the whole bathroom was flooded everytime after shower! Swimming pools for adult and children were available, the surrounding deco was cooling and relaxing. Hotel location was so strategic with a shopping mall just adjacent to the hotel, a few steps away to the famous food heaven gurney drive, and by the seaside, but no beach to stroll though. Didn't try the restaurants as my stomach was always full with penang hawker food. All in all, it was a pleasant stay and it would definitely be my hotel of choice whenever I go to penang again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La
Seven Terraces
Seven Terraces
#1 of 87 in George Town

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!