“Good value and very nice rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Basel, Switzerland
“Good value and very nice rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at the G for business. 1st impression was excellent reception and a space full room with a very nice, clearly framed bed in the middle. A large panoramic swimming pool is a nice attraction for the warm whether if you have the time to use it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here for the first time for 2 nights in March. I upgraded myself and opted for the Executive Standard Room. Upon arrival I liked the location of the hotel. It's next to the shopping centre, Plaza Gurney and opposite the sea. If you are lucky you might get a view of the sea.

I was ushered up to the 15th Floor to check in. I was given vanilla ice cream as a treat. Check in was a breeze. I didn't have to wait for long for my room.

My room was located on the 14th floor with partial sea view, but mainly overlooked a block of flats. The room is very big with a very big king size bed. The bed is ok, nothing special. I feel the sheets is not very good quality and definately not egyptian cotton. It's just normal cheap cotton, so not what I am used to. The bathroom is average size but there is no bath, just a big-ish shower room. The thing I liked is that the shampoo and shower gel is Aigner. The design of the hotel reminds me a lot of W hotel. The quirky designs and colour mismatch is very W however at a lower budget.

The other good thing that comes with my room is that I am given 4 free soft drinks and 2 kit kat bar in the fridge which is replenished everyday. The downside is that the room is not as clean as I thought, and the bathroom has a funky odour to it (not very nice)

I had a looked at the pool and it's a nice size (infiniti pool) and the gym is quite big too but was really busy. If you opt to upgrade yourself, you can have your breakfast in the executive lounge or on the ground floor. I tried both. As usual the executive lounge has less variety but amazing view!!

The hotel is located about half an hour from the Bayan Lepas airport and costs about RM40 by taxi. If you exit the hotel, turn left walk about 5 minutes, you will come to a hawkers paradise. Here you can find many food which is popular in Penang (Kuey Teow, Curry Laksa, Sate, Ikan Bakar (Grilled Fish), Cockles, Squids, etc). A must try!

Overall it's an OK hotel. I was told this is a boutique hotel, so no star ratings. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They made my stay a very pleasurable one, despite the room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear R L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay in our hotel.

We are grateful to learn that you enjoy overall stay with us and your positive comments have been shared with my team.

I was however, concerned to learn that our room cleanliness was not up to your expectation; you have my assurance that I have raised your feedback to our Executive Housekeeper who will reinforce on cleanliness and investigate the bathroom smell.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have stayed here a few time, and IMO it is the best hotel in the Gurney Dr. area.

Rooms: Rooms are modern (not dated like many hotels in Penang) and in my experience the rooms have always been clean, the beds are comfortable, and the view from the seaside facing rooms is excellent. On the city facing rooms, there is not really a view except you are overlooking the pool. The bathrooms are good sized and clean, but one thing to note (at least in any room I have stayed in) there is only a stand alone a good sized shower and no tub for those who prefer to have a tub.

Location: I like the Gurney Dr. area for convenience of shopping and sit down and relax dining. The hotel is directly next to Gurney Plaza mall and just a few minutes walk from Gurney Paragon mall. For Penang's famous local food, this is not the absolute best area, but it is only a short taxi ride (maybe 10 minutes) and 10-15 ringgit to get anywhere in the downtown Georgetown area where local hawker food is plentiful. In terms of Gurney Dr./Georgetown area versus Batu Ferringhi, I prefer Gurney Dr. area for its convenience to get to the rest of Penang. Though there are some nice hotel options in Batu Ferringhi, unless you have or are renting a car, I feel like it is too far from everything else.

Pool: G Hotel has a nice pool with comfortable seating available. However, I would not say the pool has a resort feeling or ambience. If you are happy just to have a place to swim/get a little time in the sun and not really looking for a poolside vacation type feeling this is no problem. If you are looking to spend a few hours a day by the pool in a resort type setting, there are better choices to stay in Batu Ferringhi.

Room Tip: I prefer the sea view facing rooms, but especially in high season these do have a price premium atta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank xmikex
Dear xmikex,

Thank you for choosing G Hotel as the preferred hotel when staying in Penang and I truly appreciate you taking time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay.

We thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you and are extremely delighted to hear your positive comments on room, location and pool.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We are grateful for your support and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

G Hotel's entrance is impressive, I must say. I quite liked the lobby area, vast open space and modern decor. Check-in was pretty fast as staff were efficient and attentive. We were also given a late check-out for 130pm for our departure day.

The corridors to our room were stuffy and hot, didn't seem like there was any ventilation. We were given a room on the 10th floor, facing the sea. The room itself was huge, but could have been done up nicer; especially with the big space on the wall where the TV was - a bigger TV mounted up higher would have been much better. The WIFI was always up and running and we never encountered a hiccup, this was very impressive.

Bed was a King and very comfortable, pillows were fluffy we could have 2 each! Items in the mini-bar were free and replenished daily - a can of Coke, 7-Up, Lychee, and 2 Soya Bean drinks with 2 bars of Kit-Kat. Complimentary bottled water, instant coffee/tea/Milo were also provided for. The bathroom was clean and the shower area was fantastic. Staff made up the rooms well each day, and replenished all the toiletries as required.

Next to G Hotel is a huge shopping mall, Gurney Plaza, which is of great convenience. And a short walk down will be the famous Gurney Drive!

Taxis: Penang doesn't have taxis that run on meters, so from G Hotel average prices to Georgetown: MYR15, Queensbay Mall: MYR35, Airport: MYR40. But from Georgetown back to Gurney, there are many buses available and cost about MYR1.40. It's a pretty short and enjoyable ride.

They have a pool and jacuzzi with many deck chairs, tanning beds and canopied seats available. It was quite nice to relax under the sun on their very comfortable cushioned deck chairs.

G Hotel is pricier than normal, but at least you know what to expect.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bizarrebeings
Dear bizarrebeings,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your stay.

We are very pleased to hear that you found many aspects of our hotel to be positive and that the team provided efficient and professional services. In regards to the temperature in the corridor, I have asked our Engineering team to review.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I was given two 10th floor sea-facing units. The view was awesome and the beds were first-class clean and soft. We all enjoyed our sleep at night. The breakfast was perfect too - fantastic variety & freshness of the fruits & vegetables(salad)!!! Worth every cent.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank oystergal
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear oystergal,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay in our hotel.

We were delighted to read that you have been overall impressed with the quality of our hotel. Your kind comments will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards which you have experienced during your stay with us.

Barcelona, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

The hotel is new and at first impression it is a modern/fancy place. The gourney plaza shopping mall is one of the biggest malls in Penang and is just attached to the hotel. However, the staff has a very bad customer service. There were 3 staff members chatting while I checked in and they saw me but continued talking for a minute or 2.... Shuttle service to Bayan Lepas is very limited. Room is huge. I stayed there for 1 week and they claim they are a green hotel (e.g. no smoke, etc...). When I entered in my room, there were ashes in the bathroom. And they have been there for the whole week!!!! Iron was not working, refrigerator dirty, etc.... There is also very limited local food in the area. I will not stay there anymore. There are much better options in downtown and very local cousine, environment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Henry T
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Henry T,

Firstly, may I apologise for the disappointment you have expressed regarding your recent stay with us.

I understand your frustration that you are not been approach immediately upon check in. We train and remind all our staff to be helpful and courteous and I regret that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. You have my assurance that the issue raised has been addressed directly to our Rooms Division Manager who will reinforce the need of attentiveness and to provide a speedy check in.

It was also most concerning to hear that our room cleanliness was less than satisfactory, which is totally unacceptable. I sincerely hope that you understand the difficulties you experienced are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care.

We are aware that your opinion of our service has been affected by the handling of your concerns and do hope that in time, you may reconsider your position and choose to stay with us in the future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Location is next to a very large shopping centre and was convenient.
The room was quite large with a king size bed
The views from our room were beautiful as we watched the moon cake festival parade go pass.
There were top class services both in our room and throught out the hotel.
Only 1 negative the costs were a little on the top side however, you did see what you paid for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2mumies
Dear 2mumies,

It is certainly a great pleasure to have received your feedback and I thank you for the time you have taken to describe and post your comments in TripAdvisor.

We truly appreciate you acknowledging the wonderful experience while staying with us recently as customer satisfaction is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write. We are grateful for your support and look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
#17 of 84 in George Town
Le Dream Boutique Hotel
Le Dream Boutique Hotel
#3 of 84 in George Town

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!