“Loved the spacious room, great location.”
Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #15 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the G hotel for the first time two weeks ago and found the location was right next to Gurney Plaza and on the breach front. There is a hawker food centre that starts from about 5pm every day with plenty of local food specialties to choose from which was very cheap and very tasty too.

The hotel lobby was a big open space with a lobby bar right next to the Hotel Reception area. As mentioned by everyone here already that the vanilla ice cream upon arrival was a nice touch/gesture and it worked well to help ease the long queue (if there was any). One thing that we did not like was the Concierge desk was on the same desk as the Reception and it was a bit different and confusing for us.

Check in was nice and easy with no issues - as per usual hotel requires either cash deposit or CC pre-authorisation for extra charges - so we provided cash 400 Ringgit which was promptly refunded upon check out which was efficient as well.

The complimentary wi-fi in the hotel room worked great with no interruptions which was a big plus.

The room and the bathroom were spacious, nice and clean however we were given a room with walk-in shower only with no bathtubs. I am sure a room with a bathtub can be requested upon reservations or check in.

I requested a firm or latex pillow after i checked-in however they have run out, so I should have called or contacted them earlier to reserve one for me!

The pool was quite big with a separate kiddies pool and a separate spa area. However we did not use these facilities.

We would definitely stay at the G hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear triss84,

I would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to learn how much you and your family enjoyed the stay with us.

Please be informed that we are in the progress to purchase additional special pillow to accommodate our valuable guest request and when you next visit, we will ensure your request is honored.

Once again thank you for kind review which is highly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in the G hotel again, as per last year (see previous reviews). We like the central location, the close proximity to Gurney Plaza, and town centre.

Not much to add from last year except hotel rooms prices have gone up, and maybe there needs to be some refurbishment work to be done in some rooms e.g. change from carpets to parquet flooring.

Could also do with some additonal cloth storing space.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Other recent reviews summarise the good points with which I agree. However, I found the awful synthetic music they perpetually pump out in the pool area, the lobby, the restaurants and the lifts very disagreeable and I would think anyone over 25 years of age would agree. Might have accounted for why few people used the pool the 4 days I was there. The G is a modern, elegant hotel and should not debase itself in this way. I looked in at the E&O while in Georgetown and it was silent inside!
The sea view value of the rooms may be over-stated by some. The beach consists of mud flats that the tide never seems to cover and the sea looks more like a river estuary. I enjoyed my pool-view room and was high enough not to hear any of the awful music.
All the staff were amazingly polite but I found the restaurant waiters lacking the refinement expected in a hotel of this level.
As Malaysia is a Muslim state don't expect bacon at breakfast.

Room Tip: Go as high up as you can afford.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Roger411911,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay in our hotel. We are always glad to hear from our guests.

I appreciate your comment on the music throughout the hotel and we will look into how we can improve the selection.

It is good to read that generally, the team provided friendly and efficient services, however it is disappointing to know our restaurant hostess have let that down. My apologies on this and please be assured, I will be addressed this with the Director of Food & Beverage.

Once again, thank you for your constructive and valuable feedback. We will always welcome the opportunity to improve our services.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Depending on the type of holiday you are looking forward to, Penang literally offers both; the beach and the city with both offering equal fun and thrill. Had the beach stay in Batu Ferringhi last year and this year we opt for a city stay instead.

G hotel is strategically located at the stretch of Gurney towards the end of the road which adjacent to a huge shopping arcade and the favorite Gurney hawker center is just 5 mins away. The hotel looks new and has a huge lobby to accommodate its guests either checking in, checking out or just patrons to the hotel facilities ie. Lounge, Coffee House and etc. Checking in was smoothed and was surprised with a scoop of ice cream for each of us as the welcome dessert. Something different from the norm like juices. Nevertheless, one set back which certainly hope the management will look into other alternative will be the amount charged to credit card as deposit. Instead of an offline transaction, we are charged immediately with a deposit of RM1,500.00 upon checking in. Which we only stay for 2 nights and is lesser than RM1,000.00. So do take note of this slight set back.

We booked the Deluxe Room and understand that each floor there is only 2 units of such rooms and is all sea facing units. These units are at the corner of the floor and should you have a bigger travelling group, do consider taking the Superior room next to the Deluxe room. If you can get that, you can actually share the same entrance via the 3rd door and leave individual room door open. Room is nice and clean with sufficient toiletries and towels to cater to our daily needs. Daily housekeeping is on time and service is fast. On top of that there are free wi-fi and free consumption of the mini bar. Although there is nothing much to shout about on what it has to offer (all are non alcoholic beverage), still is really a nice move from the hotel to do so and it will be top up daily. Toilet is clean with separate space for all area where you do your business and shower or even a dip at the tub. The bed is to our likings; not too hard and not too soft and the room air condition is working well. And it has a huge space to cater for another extra bed should you need any. The esplanade along the Gurney will be lively towards the evening till the late nights. You can hang around the esplanade to enjoy some sea breeze while enjoying a slow walk along it. If you are driving, do get back to the hotel before rush hour starts or after the rush else you will be stuck in the jam and it can be quite bad. Is very lively there and you got to see all walk of life hanging around the area. They do have a spa center and a saloon at 3rd floor together with its infinity pool overlooking the shopping arcade.

Did not try the hotel food during our stay as there is so much to offer at the hawker centre and the shopping center just across. The shopping center does have a wide variety of shops, pharmacy, eatery, cinema and etc to fill your needs. Overall is a nice stay and am looking forward to our next visit to Penang again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank YongCK

Dear YongCK,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

Referring to your comments, please be informed that the deposit collected upon check in through your credit card is for a pre-authorisation charge which is hotel standard procedure to block an amount to cover expenses during a guest stay. Upon check out, should a guest choose to pay their account in cash or another credit card, then we instruct the bank to release the blocked amount, however it is subject to individual card issuance bank in regards to the time frame in releasing the payment.

Once again, thank you for your constructive and valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

this was our first stay at this hotel during chinese new year celebration . the deluxe room was spacious and so was the bathroom . for me the bathroom itself deserve a 5 star , definately spacious and the tiles made it look grand. Very clean with ample of towels. the room itself was slightly dull .. to me .. the full carpeting doesnt look too appealing as it had a dirty look . am used to having a tv mounted to the wall right in the center of the room but in this case it was located next to the window , so watching tv was a bit inconvenient from the bed ( not that i watched tv the whole day ..) .

the location itself was great - next to the Mall and the famous gurney hawker center - might not be suitable for everybody , it seems to me the surrounding cleanliness ( not referring to the food ) is not emphasized... tissues on the floor , plate and cups are not cleared and left on the table ..so this are the few examples . so if you are not bothered with these, there are plenty of local delicacy to try out .

the rates at G hotel is not exactly cheap , but i'll be back since its located at a convenient location.

1  Thank missylee28
Reviewed February 20, 2013

With the amount of money paid, it is not worthed staying at this hotel with mouldy shower cubical & lots of cocroaches crwaling on the floor. After the second nights, we moved to E&O hotel which is superb.

Room Tip: If you want to spend the amount of money to stay at G Hotel, think twice. E&O is a safer bet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TravellingBudha
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Howard K,

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns regarding your recent stay and at the outset; I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards. Please be assured that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate action has been taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I am sorry we have not lived up to this during your particular stay.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future to show you that we can do better.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We rendezvoused with my in-laws here for 2 nights over a weekend in January. My husband and I paid $156/night including all taxes, for a standard king room. It was nice to be greeted with yummy ice cream but the check in took quite long. We got room 621 which was located on the right side of the hotel with a side view to the sea – well to the unattractive mud flat. It was a large room with complimentary non-alcoholic mini bar included – nice touch. The bathroom was quite large, shower only in our room, with two each bath and hand towels, and lots of toiletries. The bed had nice linens and pillows and the free wifi worked well in the room and common areas. The hotel itself is on the modern side but is showing signs of wear in the carpets and walls of the hallways and rooms. It has a large, beautiful lobby but is more of a show area with form-over-function furniture in the lobby bar – we had to move tables in hopes of finding more comfortable chairs and couches but to no avail. Lobby drinks are expensive - don't have the Lemon Grass and Cinnamon Martini – it just tastes like apple juice. The pool area is large and nice with furniture groupings and cabanas but the close view to other high rise buildings from the pool deck is not very nice. We had the breakfast buffet one morning (costs ~$10USD pp) at the hotel, and while there was a good selection of different ethnic foods nicely presented and with good service, some of the Asian dishes (i.e.: noodles, shrimp rolls) were not very good. There is a modern mall next door as well as lots of street food vendors across from beach front. Lots of people promenade in the evening and run and walk in the morning on sea wall - very nice. Traffic out front can be very busy and backed up on weekends. At CHECK-IN they put a hold of 1200 MR (~$400 USD – more than my room rate for 2 nights!!) on my credit card - for incidentals they said. No hotel elsewhere in Malaysia did this. When I checked out, paying in cash, and questioned when the 1200 MR hold on my card would be reversed the answer was 7 to 14 days!! It didn't affect me personally but not very nice if you have a low limit card or heavy expenses. The parking is free – you just get your ticket validated before driving out. But they book large events such as weddings, there were 2 on the Saturday evening we were here; making it almost impossible to get car parking as the hotel reserves the hotel guest parking for its high paying events (they actually signpost the stalls). That said, the security out front allowed us to park out front for ~15-30 minute periods three times over the two days when we picked up my walking impaired mother-in-law and when we checked out. For the money (expensive, in my opinion) I would not stay here again. It's a popular hotel with young Asians who like to shop the modern Gurney mall next door. All interesting Penang sites are >5km from this hotel and it's often a traffic jam in both directions out and in to get here due to high traffic volume from the next door mall. If you’re here to visit old Penang, as we were, I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Linda S

Dear Linda S,

We would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your constructive feedback in Tripadvisor.

I am grateful for your comments on buffet breakfast as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering. We do value all guest comments and I have reviewed the issues raised with our Executive Chef, so we may look into improving our food variety and quality.

In regards to the pre-authorization upon check in, please be informed that this is hotel standard procedure to block an amount to cover expenses during a guest stay. Upon check out, should a guest choose to pay their account in cash, then we instruct the bank to release the blocked amount, however it is subject to individual card issuance bank on time frame to releasing the payment.

The hotel is located at the strategic location which is next to one of the top high end shopping malls in town and famous hawker centre. However I admit that the local night life is indeed vibrant, especially on weekends, which is part of what attract many of our guests.

Once again, thank you for your constructive and valuable feedback. We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
#2 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!