“OK - but not great ....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Houston
“OK - but not great ....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

We arrived to the G Hotel with high expectations for a long weekend away (as we had splurged to get an executive suite room for the weekend). Initial impressions when we arrived were good (ice-cream on arrival - that is a first!) with an efficient check in at level 15 - the executive club level reception.

Things went a bit downhill from there.

Firstly, the room however was a bit of a disappointment. The suite offers a lounge area with separate bedroom - but there is no door between the two. The lounge decor was 'Ikea spartan' and not very comfortable. There was also a window between the bedroom and the bathroom (not unusual) but the blind that you could use to cover the window was pretty much see through in the evening - so not so good if you are not an exhibitionist.

The bathroom, while very modern in style, was showing signs of wear and tear. For example, the sink had cracked - and had been roughly repaired simply using caulking - not very hygienic. Also the shower had water stains - and looked like it needed a proper clean.

The worst bit was the bathroom was infested with black flies (we think these were coming from the drain) - we swatted maybe two dozen while we ware there - but more kept arriving.

The room offered a pool view rather than sea view - so check this when you book if you want to see the sea.

On the first night we enjoyed the facilities in the executive club - such as these were. The usual snacks were offered - but surprisingly the 'hot' snacks were served cold or luke warm at best (this trend continued - so another evening the serving was cold soggy potato wedges). I wondered why they bothered. Mentioning this problem to the staff elicited the usual 'sorry' but no action of course. Also, the lounge was too small for the number of folk that had been given access - and so on one occasion during our stay we gave up and left.

Breakfast was a similar, average standard affair. We did try breakfast in the club lounge - but there were no tables available, so two days we took breakfast at the G Cafe, which offered the usual buffet selection. The choice was average at best. One tip would be to arrive pretty early - since the hot food tends to run out and is not replenished less than half an hour before service closing. We were pretty disappointed with the spread - and in fact went to Starbucks around the corner to get a decent cup of coffee. On our last day we skipped breakfast altogether and went to Coffee Bean.

So far as location is concerned - the hotel is in a good position. You can walk to the Hawker Stands at one end of Gurney drive, and then to a selection of other restaurants along the sea front (Bali Hai Seafood Restaurant was pretty good).

One last annoyance - when we took taxis from the hotel we could not get the taxi to use the meter (even though it said 'metered taxi - no haggling' on the side of the taxi). We got given all kinds of excuses for this - and one of the hotel staff tried to explain it away as well - but we just were irritated about being ripped off (in our view at least).

One upside - Chilis is right next door - so a decent Margarita is always available!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gary_in_KL
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear Gary_in_KL,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback sharing on internet.

Your feedback is highly appreciated because your satisfaction and comfort are our first priority. I regret that we did not meet your expectations and there were some short comings during your stay.

In regards to the cracked sink in the bathroom, unfortunately that due to a delay from our supplier to send in the replacement, we are unable to fix it on time. However, this problem will be rectified soon.

With regrets that you found that the bathroom was infested with black flies, being a tropical country, we will ask special advice from our appointed pest control company to overcome this in the soonest future.

Referring to your comments on Executive Lounge, I am pleased to inform you that we are in the progress of changing new lay out in Executive Lounge to enhance the spacious environment.

In regards to the g Café buffet spread was not up to standards, please be informed that we are currently in the process of upgrading all our buffet menus and we have just recently hired a new Sous Chef to enhance the food standard in the G café.

Your feedback about taxi not using meter has directly addressed to my Rooms Division Manager and she will highlight your feedback to the person in charge of taxi in front of hotel for their necessary action.

Once again, thank you for your constructive comments which we highly appreciated.

Trust we are looking forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future to show that we can do better.

Peter Nast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

The hotel is located right next to a Gurney Plaza shopping mall. Unfortunately there is not much activities nearby in addition to the shopping mall, a Buddhist Tempels and a Gurney Drive hawker food center. You have to use car, taxi or bus when going to the beach, George Town or other interesting activities.

Arriving to the hotel was enchanting. The hotel lobby was mighty big and impressive. Check-in was smooth, and they offered a yummy ice cream. Enchantment remained upon arrival to the room. It was really big and there was a separate work space, a large bed, a flat TV, free wifi and even free soft drinks. The bathroom was also nice and clean.

But the first impression did not continued throughout the stay. The standard room was huge but otherwise it was pretty basic. The bed was too hard for my taste. An air conditioning was not able to cool off enough the room - even though the temperature was set to 10 degrees Celsius. The AC was immediately checked when complained about it. The next night was just cool enough to sleep, but then the problem returned. It wasn't fixed during our stay, so it was a pretty sweaty week at the G Hotel.

A swimming pool and fitness facilities were functional and had a really good service. Also housekeeping was good.

Check-out was fast, but there was made ​​a big mistake when they charged my debit account instead of a credit card. I gave feedback on this and air conditioning through the hotel's website, but I never received any answer ;(

Overall, I believe that the hotel is considered to be the best Geroge Town. Unfortunately, my expectations was not completely satisfied. Despite the cons mentioned, my overall rating is "Very Good", because this hotel is defenitely above average.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank CalvinHobbes111
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Dear CalvinHobbes111,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback sharing on internet.

Your feedback is highly appreciated because your satisfaction and comfort are our first priority. We do appreciate your valuable constructive feedback and I shared with my team your appreciation as well some challenging.

In regards to the bed, we are in the progress to upgrade sleeping comfort with feather top which should be completed by next year.

Referring to your comments on air condition, at present we are in the midst to enhancing in order to provide a better cooling.

Regrets that your online comment has not been revert. I had personally spoken to my Rooms Division Manager, she will re-enforce proper training to ensure this will not occur again.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

As a regular visitor to the G Hotel I can recommend it's food and ambience. The rooms are tidy but are getting ready for a refurbishment. During the four years I've been visiting the G, the staff have always been superb. The hotel can be pricey at times - it depends how busy they are and who you speak to about price. When in Penang the G is my first choice but, given the variation in prices, I'm often found in either the Equatorial (another excellent hotel but poorly located) or the Bayview in Batu Ferrenghi (much less stylish but a great location). For my business, the G is ideally located and, in the past, even if I haven't stayed at the hotel, I have used it for a base between meetings due to free wifi in the lobby. The hotel were more than rewarded for this freebie as i tended to have lunch and/or drinks of RM100 - RM150. Short-sightedly the management decided a number of months ago to charge for the wifi. I now spend my time (and money) in the nearby Starbucks in Gurney Plaza - sorry guys that was a bit of an own goal...

Room Tip: If its not one of the main festivities, turn up after 5pm and ask for the best price...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Bob-Kajang
Penang
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the G Hotel in July/August 2011, she had come for surgery at one of the hospitals in Penang and I had come for the ride ;), although the company we travelled with had reccomended this hotel I must say i was a little dubious knowing just how reality works in the business world (contra or worse) but I can say without a lie:
I was wrong.

This place is great, from a check in (we arrived at 1.30 in the morning, tired and having to be at hospital in 6 hrs) which was seamless and quick, to the mix up where they bought two (Full) champagne glasses to our room ;), it was great, the pool area is relaxed, your right next door to the 2nd biggest shopping mall in Penang so if you want something it is literally next door, we must had driven the 15th floor people mad for the first couple of days after my partners surgery for the ice (they must have thought we were eating it), but no she needed it for her eyes, and they didnt bat an eyelid when the westerners went to breakfast in their dressing gowns (after a swim why wouldn't you wear one ;), seriously this a great place to stay, not sure what other people complained about but we found it great. Just a bit more, the bed was soooooo comfortable, you seriously didnt want to get out of it.

Room Tip: Executive level, pay more but worth it
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrBuff
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
Dear MrBuff,

Thank you for spending the time to share your comments about g Hotel.

We truly appreciate you acknowledging your wonderful experience while staying with us recently. The compliments that you had expressed will definitely be shared with the team.

Once again, we at g Hotel are not only privileged but also honored to frequently have distinguished individuals such as yourself patronizing our establishment. We hope to be seeing you in the not so distant future.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

G-hotel located near the sea. Although she is not located in George Town, however the location is great.

Good Point:
Great location, there is a food court and a large plaza nearby. The staff is extremely helpful, they will try their best to satisfy your need. The room size is big and comfortable. The wellcome ice-cream is great and the swimming pool is very comfortable. The breakfast is ok, you cannot compare with those MO.

Bad Point:
I have book 3 room with my family. However, I find some small ant in my room. I think this is not a big problem.

To conclude
The hotel is value-for-money, I would highly recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: Just ask, they will try their best to suit you
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank leestan
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
Dear nokia3230i,

Thank you for spending the time to share your comments about g Hotel.

I wish to reiterate our sincere apologies for any inadvertent inconvenience with regards the ants issue that this may have caused you.

I would also like to take this opportunity to assure you that we have already taken the appropriate corrective measures in terms of spraying treatment so that we may avoid such future occurrence of this nature.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have stayed in G hotels for 3 times, and never once it disappoint me. I come to Penang very often for both business and leisure purpose, so i have stayed in a few hotels and i must say this is one of the best.

I simply love the location, because my wife could do her shopping while i could chill out in the hotel, since the mall is adjacent to the hotel.

The reception staffs are friendly too, and both my wife and myself enjoyed the ice cream that were being served on arrival.

The room was clean, chic and spacious. Wifi service was good enough.

It has a nice swimming pool and spa too. I enjoyed chilling out there.

All in all, i love this hotel, and will definitely come back again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank kiriath
Dear kiriath,

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Excellent hotel and service. Spacious and comfortable room. Gurney Plaza next door means everything you need is nearby.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

The Royale Bintang Penang
The Royale Bintang Penang
#17 of 82 in George Town
Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!