“beautifully restored heritage guesthouse”
Review of You Le Yuen

You Le Yuen
Ranked #20 of 172 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 15, 2014

this is a very beautiful and very unique guesthouse! each of the four rooms are designed differently and yet in great harmony with each other! the rooms and lobby have beautiful antique decors. the room comes with aircon,tv,fan and delicous local breakfast,served in beautiful plates. the beds are super comfortable with quality bedding. the location is superb as its right on love lane.what makes the place perfect is the owner and his staff!!! very kind,very friendly and very helpful!!!!unfortunately we missed to order dinner from his superb nepalese cook, and pity that very,very much!!!!!make sure you dont miss it!!!!!!so many places call themselves boutique hotel these days,but most of them dont deserve the titel. but this one i true and in every sense a boutique hotel!!!! a beautiful,unique place which i can recommend highly to everyone!!!!!

Room Tip: all four rooms are just so beautiful and unique!we stayed in the south duplex suite and had an extra...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 20, 2014

This new guesthouse in central Georgetown is excellent. Kit, the owner/manager, is extremely helpful, friendly and creates a private, homely ambience. His Nepali chef is excellent and the private meal was superb. The downstairs area is peaceful and inviting; the room was comfortable, though we had the room by the street so it was a bit hot and noisy at times, but that was OK. Breakfast is local food brought in from outside and even though the final morning was an early departure, Kit went out of his way to ensure we had some breakfast. We certainly felt at home and I would highly recommend this new guesthouse.

Room Tip: The front room, as advertised, is noisy at times, and the lack of glass over the louvres means the h...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Applecool
LiangShijie, Manager at You Le Yuen, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Hello Applecool,
Thank you very much for your kind review and I trust you are well. We are very glad that you pointed out that our North Studio Suite which is facing the main road gets a little noisy occasionally. Something that we have tried to stress on our webpage for this room as well. So hopefully visitors who didn’t read our descriptions on our website will read this feedback of yours.

We have recently done some minor upgrade to this room by installing glass windows to hopefully reduce the noise a little and definitely keeping the hot afternoon air out. Here is a photo https://www.facebook.com/youleyuen/photos/a.593058107451280.1073741828.558465264243898/635154099908347/?type=1&comment_id=635154896574934&offset=0&total_comments=1&notif_t=photo_comment

Reviewed April 8, 2014

After a hot day of sight-seeing and food hunting around Georgetown, it was just lovely to come home to You Le Yuen to enjoy a long cleansing shower and then laze in my private terrace with my book. Or go downstairs to the indoor courtyard and chit-chat with the manager over a glass of nutmeg juice.
We stayed in one night to try out the private kitchen and it was worthy of every calorie. We knew the cuisine would be Indian but we were delightfully surprised by the creative contemporary twist. The smoked chicken masala is a must-try and their version of aloo gobi is refreshing.
Even my little boy had a enjoyable stay here, despite it not being a typical hotel/resort with a beach, playground and swimming pool. My son was fascinated by the hole-in-the-roof, he adored having bubble baths, playing with the antique piano and motorbike on display (with my supervision of course, they’re antiques after all!). His favourite game was pretending to be a waiter, and brought us our drinks from the kitchen when the resident chef ‘ding-ed’ the bell.
This homely haven is prefect for anyone who is tired of the same o’ boring chain hotels, jostling elbows at the buffet line, mobs of tourist waiting for the lift and housekeeping wanting to make-up your room when you are curled in bed.
You Le Yuen lived up to its namesake – it really is a teakwood paradise! I loved the timbre louver doors and timbre floors and that exquisitely carved staircase. But my favourite was really the feel of the tiles under my feet in the ensuite bathroom – I don’t know how to describe it…you have to try it yourself.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Spent one night at You Le Yuen. This b&b just very recently opened it's doors for bookings. My cousin and I enjoyed a delicious "private kitchen" meal of northern Indian cuisine with a twist in the indoor courtyard. After that we spent most of the night chatting with our very gracious and hospitable host/owner over beer (Skol, Heineken, Carlsberg.) who regaled us on the "history" of the salvaged and restored pieces that decorate the b&b. The b&b has a great and very relaxing ambience - with highlights of calming blue hues, green plants and dark teak.

The location is fantastic! Convenient - About a 5 minute brisk walk to a 7-eleven on Lebuh Chulia, and cafes and bars. But quiet! As the b&b is tucked away at the quiet end of Love Lane. If you're looking for a personal and home-like living-heritage experience in Penang - this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2014

There's heritage hotels...and then there's You Le Yuen! Firstly, the fact that there's only 4 rooms is amazing and gorgeous as it keeps the 'traffic' in the hotel to a minimum, private and just very intimate. It becomes your home away from home. Couple that with location and the beauty of the place as well...it is truly mind blowing.

The service from both the chef and young entrepreneur See Kit...is the added icing on the cake as they are both very friendly, very helpful and See Kit is a world of information on his own who will see you safely to your next destination, give you the best eateries to go to and the best local shops to get a bargain from.

There truly is perfection in this world. It's called You Le Yuen!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank vavaxn
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stumbled upon YLY...when searching for a quick get away! I understand that it opened in Feb on Love Lane, Penang and my friends and I just had a wonderful time. Simply put it....it is home away from home very private and quiet. An absolutely beautiful plc if u want to experience the heritage set up!! The room is spacious, clean and just very quint! The manager, Kit is just very helpful! They hv a private chef if u don't feel like going anywhere and just stay in....like my friends and I! But must tell them in advance so they can plan the menu for u. The food is simply delicious! Must try the muscle soup and duck curry!! Never had that before and I was impressed! I will definitely go bck again!! Everything else is just walking distance away if u want to grab a late night bite or just a drink. It was just simply great!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank CaroleTGY
Reviewed March 22, 2014

This B&B boutique is pretty new, and you feel like that you are back to your "home". Also The B&B owner and chef are also very sweet and warm, and I could have good time with them.

As for the location, it is pretty good for shopping, food and sightseeing. George Town has been officially designated as World Heritage Site, so there are lots of things to see, and just walking around the B&B is quite interesting.

As for the meal, if you like spicy food, I am pretty sure you can enjoy.

Everytime I am staying regular hotel when I come to Penang, but I thought "homelike" place is also nice. Am pretty sure I will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends