“Great location, decent facilities”

Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location, decent facilities”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The hotel is centrally located and you can easily walk to explore the heritage city of Georgetown. The property is old but has been decently maintained. There was free wifi in both rooms and public areas and more importantly, the signal was strong. The staff at the reception were very friendly and helpful. The rooftop bar was also a great place to chill as it offered views of the city and was super breezy. Guests would imagine that it was a nice spring day or early autumn and not the tropical heat. The only negative feedback for me was that the noise from the rows of pubs/bars in the street below could be heard faintly, but that is to be expected for a city hotel in the heart of town.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Melvin_Neo
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Melvin_Neo,

Lunar greetings to you from all of us here at Bayview Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your lovely review of your recent stay with us and for endorsing on our perfect location within the heritage city of Georgetown.

I am glad that everything went well with your stay from the good Wi-Fi service provided, the friendly staff and the spectacular view from Skybar.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous Chinese New Year.

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed January 25, 2014

When I was looking for a hotel for my stay in Penang, it was important to me that my choice would (1) be in a good location for sightseeing by foot, (2) be reasonably priced, and (3) have a relaxing ambiance. The Bayview Hotel did not disappoint in any of these respects, and in fact exceeded my expectations.

The location is perfect. The hotel is in walking distance of all of the major Georgetown multicultural sites: Chinese, Indian, Malay, and Nonya. You can walk to Gurney Drive, to the jetties, to Little India and Chinatown, to the KOMTAR Tower, all within reasonable distances (For people who like to walk. If walking a couple of miles sounds intimidating, then you may need to recalibrate my words...). The Malaysian weather is spectacular for walking, though bring an umbrella -- there may be a short-lived burst of hard-falling rain at any given moment with little warning, and Georgetown infrastructure is old... don't expect sidewalks with generous overhangs to wait out the rain. You will also never have a problem finding exceptional food near the Bayview. It is a few minutes away from Jalan Penang, which is a very popular street for sampling local restaurants, and street food is available in a variety of places, including the Esplanade Food Centre in the colonial district, just 10 minutes away from the hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised by my Grand Deluxe room -- it was huge, luxurious, and only cost $100/night, including breakfast for 2. The room is newly renovated, has an extremely comfortable king size bed with a quality mattress (great back support -- best sleep I've had in a while!), a large LCD TV, a desk, a big bathroom with both tub and separate stall shower (with water pressure that makes you never want to leave), and a stunning view of Georgetown. The buffet breakfast in the morning has an ample spread of both "standard fare" (eggs, potatoes, pastries, etc.) and local specialties. For reference, my friend selected the cheapest room the hotel offers (I forget what it's called), and it was almost as nice. It was a little older, had a somewhat smaller bathroom, and the view was of the pool area rather than the city. The bed was the same size and quality.

I would be remiss if I did not mention the rooftop bar. The city and water views from all angles from this bar are sensational. And the bar itself is comfortable, and has very good service, with some strong tropically-themed drinks (I recommend the Electric Iced Tea for maximum inebriation). After a few evenings hanging out up there, the bartenders got to know us, and they were very nice and professional.

Here are some negatives of this hotel. The first floor -- with the guest check-in -- has a large lounge area with comfortable chairs to relax in, either before heading out for the day, or after getting back. However, smoking is allowed in this lounge, and it gets very smoky fast because there is no ventilation. It makes you want to go outside fast and start your day, which could be considered a good thing I guess... Also, the pool isn't great. I personally don't care about this, but if a pool is important to you, there may be better options out there. Finally, one time I spotted a rat in the rooftop bar area... then it scurried under some floorboards and vanished. This is probably unavoidable in an urban environment, but I mention it for full disclosure.

Nonetheless, I give the Bayview Hotel my highest rating. It is an excellent value for the money in the best location in Georgetown for tourism, with all the comforts you need to have a great time on your trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Craig B,

Lunar greetings to you from all of us here at Bayview Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your lovely and sincere review of the hotel and for giving us a 5/5 benchmark scores.

I am glad that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that we had fulfilled your criteria of a good location, value for money rooms and a good & relaxing ambiance.

Thank you also for the nice review of Skybar. I have taken note of your sightings and will get pest control to look into this.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights, the staff were lovely and the breakfast was good, the hotel is also in a great central location, it's old and a bit run down (broken safe, key cards that didn't work, pool/changing rooms not very clean) so the 4-star rating may be up for debate. However, the main problems were the noise and smoke; the room smelt of cigarette smoke and at times smoke would seep into our bathroom through the vents from the room next door. The bar on the roof which is otherwise very nice with fantastic views blasts out tacky house music so loud you can't have a conversation, the music could be heard from our room loud enough to disturb us although did finish at 1am. Overall, not the best.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank MrFury
Dear MrFury,

Lunar greetings to you from all of us here at Bayview Georgetown Penang.

First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the poor impression that you had encountered during your stay with us. I have taken note on the points that you have raised and rest assured that I will get my team to look into this and improve on it.

Thank you for your endorsement on our good buffet breakfast and the lovely staff that had served you.

I will let our partner that operates the Skybar know of your comments on the "loud" music.

It was a pleasure to have been of service to you and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel is perfect for visiting the old town, like little India, Chinatown, the mosk. And most of all the jetty to Langkawi is only a 15 minutes walking.
The rooms are a bit old and the pool not so nice to relax.
Staff is sometimes friendly (the women) and sometimes there is a person speaking not so good English and then reacting a bit unfriendly when when you don't understand the meaning of his words. Not so professional.
Breakfast was ok.
They have not enough adaptors so you better buy one yourself.

1 Thank TorretjedeCorse
Dear TorretjedeCorse,

Lunar greetings to you from all of us here at Bayview Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us and for endorsing on our excellent location to the many sights of Heritage Georgetown.

I apologize for the poor "English" speaking skills of the staff that had attended to you. Efforts will be made to further improve on this.

I have also taken note on the adapters and I will get my Front Office to ensure that we have sufficient stock.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Generally a good quality hotel and centrally located, particularly by the sea front. The room was large and well appointed. a good pool area with shady and sunny areas and plenty of sunbeds. a very good breakfast buffet is available. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The mattress on our bed was rather solid - I do like a firm mattress but this was a little uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade - we were double upgraded without asking.
1 Thank Sue T
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Sue T,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for your nice review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad that everything went well and you had a good experience staying with us especially on the clean & spacious room, the good buffet breakfast provided every morning, nice pool and not forgetting our central location in Georgetown.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Hi I am Mrs Samy from Singapore.Me n my hubby stayed in this hotel for 3 nights which is from 16 Jan to 19 Jan.We was there to participate for the Thaipusam Festival at the Waterfall Murugan Temple.We really had a good stay in this hotel which was very clean n comfortable and also the staffs was very kind,helpful and polite.The housekeeping staffs also played their part to keep the room clean.I wish I will have another chance to stay again back to this hotel.......

Thanks
Mrs Samy

1 Thank Jaya G
Dear Mrs Samy,

Lunar greeting to you from all of us here at Bayview Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your nice review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you had a good experience staying with us from the clean & comfortable room to the helpful and polite staff.

I am sure that your wish of staying with us will be fulfilled and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Thank you.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2014

So central and nicely maintained hotel! Staff were very friendly and helpful in recommending where to go and eat. The room is spacious though a bit dated. The pool facility is great. The only true complaint is that the gym facility was not monitored and someone was smoking inside prior to our usage. It left a horrible stench for us to breath in!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Blessedf4r,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Bayview Georgetown.

I am glad that you experience the friendliness of all my staff, the excellent location of the hotel and not forgetting the pool facility. Please allow me to apologize for the poor supervision of the gymnasium and I will look into ways of improving this.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to wlecome you back again soon.

Thank you.