“Expensive as wifi connection poor.”

Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in George Town
“Expensive as wifi connection poor.”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Wifi connection was very bad. No radio and not much TV channels in the room. Breakfast not much choices. Cannot choose standard rooms for non-smoking rooms. Rates are more expensive for customers who would prefer non-smoking rooms. However, it is very clean and have good seaview on 12 floor at grand deluxe room.

• Stayed August 2013
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear jenmui,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us.

I regret that you had troubles with our Wi-Fi internet service. We offer a 44GB high-speed bandwidth internet service which is provided free and I suspect the connectivity may be slowed at times when bottleneck is experienced with simultaneous usage and downloadings by guests during peak period. I am disappointed that our well received buffet breakfast which offers over 40 items daily did not meet your choice expectation.

I wish to state that rates are the same for non-smoking or smoking rooms in all room categories. I believe that the standard room category that you had inquired had no more non-smoking room available thus you opted for a better room category (non-smoking Grand Deluxe) which would have cost more. And I am delighted that you found our Grand Deluxe room clean and had a great view of the sea.

Thank you for staying with us and please let me know if I could be of any assistance when you next stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in a nice non-smoking room.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I am very satisfied with the services provided by the hotel. Staff really friendly and helpful. You can ask about Penang and the staff can answer really well. Location is very strategic. 5 minutes walking to Padang Kota and to Jalan Penang. There are a lot buses to get to the hotel. Definitely will stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear matlan,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for the excellent review for giving us a 5/5 score in all the 5 criteria (Value, Location, Rooms, Cleanliness & Service).

This is very reassuring and we are very pleased we have served you well during your recent stay with us. We are ever mindful (and will continue to work hard on) that our friendliness, efficiency, service standards, varied facilities and consistency will count in winning our guests to return to us.

Thank you also for endorsing that you will stay with us when you are next in Penang.

Gold Coast
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Hotel rooms were very spacious even with an extra bed there was plenty of room to move around. The bathroom was very large and the entire room clean
And well presented. The staff were very friendly and helpful

• Stayed September 2013
Dear AdelaideCrows,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for the excellent review and for giving us an overall 5/5 score.

I am happy that our well presented spacious room and bathroom, the room cleanliness and the helpful and friendly staff extended you an excellent stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and make it another wonderful stay.

Paris, France
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Apart from Mr. Murthy, Mr. Halim and the lady at the lounge who is half Malay and Philippina; and the kitchen staff, who were courteous and was ever ready to assist, I can't say much about the Front Office, especially on check out day. He was rude and very condescending.

The hotel I've learnt had changed management, three years ago, and obviously shows its weaknesses. International breakfast buffet lacked the national dish of Assam Laksa, or Prawn Noodle soup. Traces of chicken poop were found on the shells of half-boiled eggs, and the à la carte desserts reek of cheapness, and stale sugar.

When I booked the hotel, I clearly stated for a smoking room — we were downgraded to a non-smoking room on the twelfth floor, on the pretext that the rooms twelfth onwards had better air-conditioning. You can't smoke in the rooms but are ‘allowed’ to on the mini-lounge on the twelfth — defeats the purpose since its a non-smoking floor.

The rooms were the basic standard, twins joined to make a bigger bed, whilst I specifically booked for twins apart – again, defeats the purpose. The room to room via telephone doesn't work – I have other guests in the same hotel we were there.

The room service and housekeeping were prompt, the staff courteous and minded their manners. The bathroom reeked of urine stench, so we had to get housekeeping to spray air–freshener every day we were there. No made–up beds unless you hang the sign on your door. The Chubbs safety didn't come with instructions and although it was simple to operate, it still didn't work.

Had they maintained their service or at least made the effort to improve, I would have recommended this hotel. I have previously booked and stayed at Bayview Georgetown on several counts, and also at their other sister hotels in Langkawi but those were the days when service mattered.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear AainaA-Ridtz A,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

First and foremost, I deeply regret and sincerely apologize for the poor experience that you had received from the front office staff from the beginning of your stay in the wrong assignment of room and on check-out where you had encountered an unpleasant situation. The staffs that was on duty should have been more diligent in assigning the correct room for you and the check-out staff should have been more polite & courteous. I have taken to task my Front Office Manager and rest assured that steps will be taken to improve on this.

I am glad that you found the other staffs from concierge (Mr Muthi & Mr Halim), kitchen, lobby lounge, room service and housekeeping to be prompt, courteous and with good manners.

I am sorry but we do not serve Assam Laksa & Hokkien Mee in our buffet breakfast menu as this 2 items are not traditional breakfast items. We do however have the other Malaysian popular items like Nasi Lemak, Roti Jala, Roti Chanai, Noodle Soup, Fried Noodles and many others from our range of more than 40 items in the breakfast buffet line.

I greatly appreciate your input and I am sure that we can and will certainly do better in the future especially on the areas that you have mentioned

Once again, my apologies and we look forward to welcoming you and in serving you better on your next visit.

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 28, 2013

great position, close to the city center and to the Western Oriental; staff is not really attentive and helpful. We asked 3 times some towel in the pool, but never arrived, they answered: go to your room and get it! there is no wi-fi in the room and anyway it was down and they did not fix it. It's ok, not impressive. There is the spa and the chance to have great massages though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear bdb b,

Greeting from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us.

First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the poor experience that you had received at the pool area and for the "downtime" of the internet. My staff should have been more pro-active in getting you the towels immediately. We had some teething problems on the internet service and everything is now back to normal now.

Thank you for your endorsement on the hotel to be in a great position right in the heart of Heritage Georgetown and the services of the massages at the spa.

I do hope we can welcome you back the next time you are in Penang.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We got a great deal through Air Asia on this Hotel & decided to stay in the city rather than the beach.Very happy we did!!!!! This Hotel is so well placed to explore the Heritage area of George Town that we were never short of things to do & see.

Check-in was very smooth and we were shown to our newly renovated room that had the biggest window with a spectacular view over George Town and the Harbour - fantastic vista day & night.The room was very tastefully furnished & a lovely bathroom, lovely brand new carpet.

Breakfast was just amazing - I defy anyone not to find something to enjoy - of course no pork products so if you love bacon I'm sorry but no options!!!

I must give high praise to the Reception Staff who were so helpful, the Internet went down for approx. 24 hours which was not good & we had Boarding passes that needed printing, they tried everything to get them for us & within an hour the Internet was fixed so all good.

The 360 Bar on the Roof of the Hotel was very cool....... the ambience and views great - a definite "must do" day and night

The only real negative I can post is that the bathroom towels are awful - please upgrade!!! so thin I could almost read the paper through them.

Overall though a great stay & just loved the people in the super friendly city of George Town!!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a Deluxe - very reasonable & we were very happy with our choice
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shazzab21,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for posting a superb review on your recent stay with us. I am very happy that you found the hotel's location, the services provided by the staff, the fantastic view from our newly renovated Deluxe rooms, the buffet breakfast and the 360° Revolving Restaurant & SkyBar to be of excellent standards.

I sincerely apologize on the towels which I will look into it immediately.

It was a pleasure to have served you well and we look forward to welcoming you back again when you visit Penang in the future.

Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have been staying here since 1968 when it was the Merlin. The Bayview is a remarkable establishment in that it has never deteriorated over the years as so many other places have,the decor continues to maintain its pristine elegance,the accommodation is always very good and the food downstairs is excellent,,The revolving restaurant on top is one of georgetown's premier attractions and should not be missed. Parking is available,and the taxi rank outside is very well administered,feel safe to use this convenient transport. The hotel is ideally situated in the British colonial precinct,and close to many historical attractions, it is close to the port side and waterfront,and only a short walk in the sun to all the numerous cultural sites that this lovely old city has to show..Put on your sunblock and go for a walk up Penang road. I love this place!!!

Room Tip: One floor is a dedicated smoking floor,be aware! The views across to the mainland are nice!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Errol F
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Errol F,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your excellent review during your recent stay with us and for rating us with a 5/5 score. I am happy that after so many years, you still find the hotel remarkable. Thank you also for endorsing on our good rooms,excellent food at Kopi Tiam restaurant and our ideal location right in the heart of Heritage Georgetown.

It was a pleasure having you with us again and we hope to welcome you "home" soon.