“excellent hotel”

Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed February 24, 2013

the hotel is excellent. The front desk and the room service was very good. The rooms are very specious and very comfortable. The house keeping is excellent and the charges are very nominal.
The staff is very friendly and cooperative. This was my first visit to penang and I never felt the same.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Kaushikkumar

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. Your positive ratings on the hotel, our staff and services are most appreciated. It was a pleasure to have been of service to you and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang soon.

There are newer reviews for Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Everything about this hotel is thoroughly average. It's all quite tired and in need of a complete refurbishment. Opposite the E&O hotel which is one of Malaysia's best just to remind you about the mediocrity that surrounds you.

It's difficult to review somewhere that underwhelms to efficiently. Nothing was awful. Nothing was good. I'd never stay here again because there are so many hotels in Penang that I'd rather try somewhere else.

A bland experience.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Richard G

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely regret that your stay with us was not to your fullest satisfaction. We have taken note of your comments and we will try to spruce up the hotel in the very best way possible. Just for your info, we do have better categories of rooms that have been fully renovated starting from our Grand Deluxe rooms and above. The Standard to Deluxe room categories had been refurbished progressively in the last 15 months where we had concentrated on the key features of the room (new beds & divan, new carpets, new TV, new safe box, etc), maintaining the furniture, style and décor but with a fresh coat of varnish/paint.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and we hope to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Arrive here at 5pm and checking in was a breeze. There is ample free parking with access entry point just after the Esso gas station.

Got the deluxe room package with free breakfast and at the 10th floor, the view was great ... can see Penang bridge, Fort Cornwallis and old chinatown. It is an older hotel but the room is large and clean, bed is comfortable. It has separate shower stall with good water pressure and the regular toiletries akin to a 4 star hotel. Free wireless internet in the room and a/c works well.

Location is excellent being located next to E&O hotel and the Cheong Fatt Tze mansion located across the road. We have a nice morning jog around Fort Cornwallis and had great access to the various open chinese association (kongsi) houses chinese new year festivities located in the old china-town on Feb 16th. With 100,000s of folks on that day of festivities and parking in downtown Penang pretty rare, it is really a blessing to stay in this hotel which offer ample free parking and easy access to downtown Penang.

Food in the hotel restaurant is pretty pricy but there is lots of famous local hawker stalls within walking distance ...including the Teochew chendol and Clearline Nasi Kandar stalls located in side street junction abutting Penang road.

Room Tip: Book the Deluxe or Deluxe Plus rooms ... they are much larger room with better view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank E-TravellerCanada
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear E-Traveller Canada

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here. Your positive rating of the hotel is very much appreciated. It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we certainly look forward to your return visit to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Good location. Carpark entrance is next to the Esso petrol kisok, dont miss it. Amazing view from the hotel, can see the Penang bridge and the sea. Wifi available in the room. Swimming pool is small but very deep, 3.5m at one end!! You can dive in. Jacuzzi warm water is good. Changing room and shower cubicle for the swimming pool is small.

Room does not offer extra towel, you have to pay RM20 for one extra towel. We got the family room which is quite a good room for the 4 of us. Slippers were missing when we check into the room. When we called the hotel reception, they told us they ran out of slippers. The slippers came after all, but only given 2 pairs cos the staff thought the room only can sleep two persons, without realising that it is a family room.

Good location. You can go to many eateries and restaurants easily from the hotel.

Room Tip: High floor rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Jollyshandy

Thank you for your nice review on TripAdvisor. Your positive rating of our hotel is very much appreciated. I regret that our policy of charging for an extra towel if requested for was not pleasing to you. However you may have been informed that towel exchange is complimentary. As fpr the slippers, I apologize for the confusion. We do have slippers that is provided if requested for I am surprised on the remark from my staff.

Regards

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Hotel on the edge of town - ten minutes walk to bus stop. NO COMPUTER AVAILABLE FOR CLIENTS USE. Both credit card readers at reception were badly damaged - unable to read numbers. Refused to give my password to staff member. Therefore did NOT use hotel facilities. Bar and coffee lounge had no character - always empty with NO STAFF. Fridge in room EMPTY. Shop on 1st floor never open until 10am. No group tours available - only individual cars. Half the fun of excursions is being with a group !!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank LondonUKStan
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear LondonUKStan,

I sincerely regret that your stay with us was not to your fullest satisfaction as we were unable to provide you a computer as part of our facilities that was also mentioned in your guest feedback questionnaire received. My front office staff should have been more proactive in helping you to check-in for your flight. I have briefed the Front Office team to be more helpful in the future. However as you already know, we do provide free Wi-Fi to all our guests and we will certainly look into providing a computer/printer for our guest usage at a nominal charge for those guests who do not have a Wi-Fi gadget.

Thank you for notifying me on the poor condition of the credit card machine which we have already rectified with our merchant bank that have provided us with 2 new machines. I also regret that the Lobby Lounge did not appeal to you. We do have a 3 piece band performing nightly (except Monday) from 10.15 pm onwards and we have received many good reviews of their entertaining performances. I am rather surprised of your comment on absentee staff as we have sufficient manning at our Lobby Lounge.

The mini bar service is provided only on request basis to meet our guests’ expectation for their fridges to be empty for their personal storage/usage. The drug store on level 1 opening hours are from 10am to 8pm daily. As for tours, the trend in Penang is offering personalised tours in a car by tour operators. Regretfully, they don’t do group tours as it is difficult to cater to different needs of the many tourists.

Once again, I thank you for your constructive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown (as you have indicated in your completed guest questionnaire form given).

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The location is good, 15 to 20 minutes' walk to anywhere in the old town, but you have to jay walk, no pedestrian crossing on the roads.

The hotel is old, room is big, but toilet window cannot be closed, then you see the dirty corners from inside.

A/c doesn't work well, the temperature sensor seems not to be able to stop the a/c at a certain temperature, so it's either very cold with strong wind from the a/c, or very stuffy when you decide to switch it off.

The drainage in the bathtub is very slow. When i take a shower (flow on the weaker side), soup water reaches my ankle in 5 minutes. It's an old hotel, i guess it's probably also difficult for them to do anything.

I booked the hotel through agoda, not sure if it's the reason why I got a lousy room.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear bingtian

Thank you for your sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We have taken note of your comments over the various problems in the room and we apologize for the inconvenience caused. We would appreciate if you could kindly advise us on the room number in order for us to look into the matters. Once again, thank you and we hope to be of service to you once again.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Similar to another reviewer, I also arrived late mid evening from Langkawi on the terry. Check in was smooth but not speedy. Room was clean, bed was comfortable.
However, no where in the materials that I read did it say that Monday night is NOTHING NIGHT: the entertainment is off, the revolving restaurant and other restaurant is closed and so your only option is the area where breakfast would be served the next morning. So it is late evening, you are tired, hungry and unless you want to venture out by yourself in a new strange town, you are stuck with what is there. Not that the food was bad--it was pretty tasty and the waiter himself was even more entertaining with his expansive gestures, sing-song voice and ebullient personality. He was helpful in suggesting things on the menu and also places that were MUST SEE in Penang if one only had a day and a half
I realize that the tour desk is not part of the hotel, but they occupy space there, so I am forced to comment on their establishment: THEY WERE EXTREMELY UNHELPFUL. I am not sure if it was because I was a solo traveler, or what.. but after researching things to do and getting tips from the effusive waiter, I walked into their office Tuesday morning and they had nothing for me. So I walked out of the hotel, crossed the street to the taxi stand and asked the person there how much would it be to hire someone for the day....we agreed on a price per hour and shortly thereafter, we were off. It was great... He (the taxi driver) took me everywhere I wanted to go, waited patiently on me, and even took pictures of/for me..
After a long day of sightseeing on Tuesday, I called to try to get a reservation at the revolving restaurant and was told they were full. Asked for anything available and continued to be politely declined. The person stated there were no more windows available. Well, for me that did not necessarily matter, but I am not sure if it was a language problem, a policy problem, or what--but the end result is that I did not get to experience on of the things I chose this hotel for!!
Overall, it was not a bad experience, and I would go back, except next time I would make my dinner reservations when I make the hotel reservations...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear EBWgirl

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. My sincere apologies for the confusion and the unhelpfulness of my staff when you tried to make a booking at the Revolving Restaurant. It would certainly help me to pinpoint the staff on duty if you could advise me the time and date that you tried to make the booking so that we can further improve the system and service. I will certainly look into your comments of the restaurants being closed on Monday and try to re-adjust that at least one of them is open so that guest can at least have 2 choices of restaurants on a Monday. We have forwarded your comments on the tour desk to the agent concerned for their necessary info / action and to look into improving their quality of service.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to express your experience staying with us. Your comments will certainly help us in improving to become better. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Regards