“choose other hotel if you have other option”

Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #26 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Arriving in Penang after a very long journey (5 hours from KL by bus) i was expecting more from this hotel,i trusted other reviews and book one room,the receptionist was a bit rude ( since it was 1 am in the morning) and not so very helpful.
When i got into my room it was spacious,but the carpet was dusty,and it smells awful,when it comes to bed,it was not comfy and to add more misery washing shower in the bathroom was broken,I cannot sleep that day and the next day me and my mom decided to move to other hotel,really early,although in the morning,the service staffs are really nice and very helpful but i would not come back for more offcourse..
with that kind of price if you have other option for hotel please choose wisely

Room Tip: before you decide better to have a look first,make sure its not dusty and smelly like mine
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JejeLeiper
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I sincerely regret the poor experience you encountered during your recent stay with us. I have taken to task my Housekeeping team to uplift the standards of their cleaning process as well as to double check that all rooms are in proper order before releasing the room for sale. As for the receptionist that was rude to you, I sincerely apologize and I will look into it and ensure that consistent and caring service is always provided by all my staff to all guests.
I hope that you will give us another chance to redeem ourselves and I look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you.
Lawrence Perera
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in Premier Deluxe room on the 31st Dec 2012 till 2nd Jan 2013. All that I can say generally the hotel and staffs provided a really great service from the checking in, premier lounge staffs and service as well as checking out. We definitely enjoyed the extra facility at the premier lounge where we could access in at the facility anytime we want (7am-9pm) for a cup of tea/coffee or a glass or juice/soft drinks. We had the chance to see a different view from the lounge too.
The staffs at the lounge were friendly and helpful (except the lady who worked on the 1st of January serving breakfast, she for some reasons was being a little but unfriendly to me). We love the room's view so much.
We were given 16th floor room (1606) with the city view. We could clearly see Komtar and the bridge. As we were there on the New Year's eve, we had a great chance to see tons of fireworks display just from our room's window. It was a perfect New Year celebration for us.
The only thing that the hotel could improve will be taking away the card saying how much they will charge if we take out the towels etc from the hotel. The impression that I got on that day was that this hotel does not believe their customers that it has made them have to put the card in the room. I had to call for the floor mat and hand towels as there was none in the room. I was a bit concerned if the hotel will charge me assuming that I have taken the towels and mat.

Room Tip: Premier Deluxe: Floor 16 facing the city centre as you will have the chance to view the sea, seaport...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emiliza
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay here and that you had a perfect New Year celebration. Your positive ratings of the hotel, the Premier Lounge facilities, our staff and services are most appreciated. We have taken note of your comments over the unfriendly staff at Premier Lounge on 1 January 2013 and for not providing the floor mat in the room. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have briefed the staff concerned and rest assured that it will not occur again. I know we can and will do better in the future. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have stayed at the Bayview on New Years Eve for many years now. We stayed in a Deluxe room which is nice and big. The bathroom has both a bath and a shower. The shower could have been a bit cleaner. Considering that it is located in the heart of Georgetown it is very reasonably priced and we hope to continue staying there in the future.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor. We have taken note of your comment over the cleanliness of the shower and rest assured that necessary action will be taken to address the matter raised. Once again, thank you and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

The room is spacious no problem accomodating 2 adult and 2 children with 1 in baby cot.I stayed in the deluxe room level 12 the view is good overlooking the E&O hotel and the sea. Though it was abit rundown but fot the price that i paid i think it consider pretty valuable. The breakfast was not too bad but not much changes in variety day after day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for your positive comments. We have taken note of your comment over the breakfast spread and we will look into how best to further improve and change the spread daily. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Fairly well maintained, good location near historical part of the city, room service - you can get ice there! Good view as well, since it is much higher than most of the buildings around. Reasonable price.

Room Tip: Better view from higher floors on the eastern side.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and for providing us with your feedback on TripAdvisor. We value your comments and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang in the near future.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

There's no way this hotel can be 4-star. Room's carpet has propably never been vacuumed properly. I found someone's fingernail and rubbish on the floor, figured it's best not to look too closely.. We spied the room cleaning process and they didn't use vacuum cleaner. Bathroom needed a full renovation, the bathtub had draining issues. Towels smelled bad, unwashed. Although we stayed on non-smoking floor the air conditioning brought cigarette smell to the room. Thai buffet was bad and the restautant on the top needs badly updating. Found small lizard in my napkin, which was a bit humourous too. There are people swimming in the pool with their daily clothes on. I've stayed in quite many 3 and 4-star hotel in Europe, and this one doesn't get even near their standard.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Since this is a review of the hotel I am presently staying in...hopefully management will take the time to read it. Numerous occasions found me at the desk complaining about no hot water and internet and to top it off....the room has not been vacuumed since my arrival on December 20th. I had to ask them to do this at 11:30AM this morning. I went out for 3 hours and have come back to find that not only has it not been vacuumed it hasn't been serviced. I am still waiting at 3:00PM. The only saving grace was the travel company inside the hotel but even with that...I have been charged extra for being a single traveler. I have traveled and lived in Asia for 14 years and this is a first. I won't be coming back to Penang or Malaysia anytime soon. After you do all the tours...what else is there to do? Handicrafts of the country amount to pewter and batik...the rest is "junk" from China. I should have cut my losses and went to Thailand where at least in a two star hotel they clean the room!!!! Paying $1000 dollars was criminal for the service and cleaning. The bartender was great....I taught him to make a good martini! The restaurant next door to this hotel called Ryans has excellent food but I would avoid the expensive Penang(Cinnamon Restaurant) further on. The snapper was tough and presentation was lacking. If you are going to choose Penang...do 3-4 days and move on and don't stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: I had a view of the bridge but no balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
#29 of 88 in George Town
Bayview Beach Resort
Bayview Beach Resort
#7 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi

Been to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang? Share your experiences!