“This place is Super, K?”
Review of Super K Hostel

Super K Hostel
Super K Hostel
Reviewed April 2, 2014

The convenience store entrance is camouflage to the best kept secret in Georgetown, Super K Hostel.

One night turned into two weeks! My bus dropped me off in front at 10pm and a friendly guy from the bar asked if I was looking for a place to stay. I thought, "sure, I can leave tomorrow and find somewhere nicer." We walked through a convenience store and upstairs to a hot common area... then we opened the door to a stylish clean and nicely cold dorm with privacy curtains, soft luxurious sheets, a comfy pillow and, the best part, soft chiropractic mattresses.

Super K is the most comfortable, the most friendly, in the best location, and all-round the best hotel I've ever stayed it. I also beats every hotel and guesthouse I've stayed at throughout my travels (Thailand and Laos).

Room Tip: Closer to the winder the colder.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Super K Hostel

Reviewed March 22, 2014

The hostel is seated at a great location, just at the corner of Love Lane and Chulia Street. They offered clean room/bathroom, comfortable beds, friendly staff, a cute kitten you can play with. The air-con made the room cold, not freezing, which I really appreciated. I felt I was frozen when I stayed in another hostel in KL.
There's no read light or outlet near the bed, so kind of inconvenient.
But in general, I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

I planned to stay here for 2 nights, ended up staying for a week whilst doing a visa run from south of Thailand. The hostel is very new & kept clean, with ridiculously comfy mattresses in the dorms. With regards to hospitality I found the staff second to none, especially hostel owner David who took the time to take myself and a few other travellers out to all the local attractions (waterfalls, adventure parks, landmarks, introduced to local foods & certainly knew the best bars in town) for nothing!! 5 months later and I've still not had this kind of hospitality & unique cultural experience any where else over south east asia. The only downside is there wasn't much of a social area away from the dorms, but I think this may have been rectified since my last visit in 2013 - plus there's bars across the road where most people hang out anyway. Overall it's centrally located and well worth a visit whilst in Penang.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Even though the hostel doesn't really look attractive from the outside, when you go in everything else will make up for it. Employees are all simply great, happy and helpful. David, the owner makes you feel at home directly and the dorms and showers look clean and are very comfortable. If I'd go back to Penang I would definitively stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This hostel was so brilliant that instead of staying for 2 days we stayed for 10. I cannot recommend it enough. It is really welcoming, and the owner, David is a total legend, who will go out of his way to make sure you enjoy your time in Penang as much as possible. Also one of the common rooms has an upright piano so people like to gather and play :)
Between all the staff ( they employ other travellers long term) most languages are spoken, but they also have vast local knowledge.

The best beds I have ever stayed in a hostel - really really good mattressess in custom made bunks that have curtains the whole way round for privacy. The dorms were immaculately clean, and decorated in a modern, classy style. At the end of our dorm there was a chill out area, and loads of plug sockets for charging things. All aircon :)

The showers are powerful and warm and very clean, and there is always loo roll and soap. Downstairs there is a shop that sells normal things but also stuff like superglue that you really need. Next door their cafe sells really good western food ( they make their own sausages and burgers - soooo good!) and in the evening it turns into a welcoming bar with beers only 5 rm! They are also right in the centre of loads of amazing street food as well as restuarants, bars, laundry places, travel shops as well as the street art and temples George town is famous for.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

The hostel was lovely and clean. The mattress' were very comfortable and I liked you had curtains around the bed for privacy.

However both dorms have very thin walls and directly opposite the hostel is a reggae bar which had very loud music until 1.30am, meaning we were unable to sleep.

A bit disappointed as we had asked the staff if it was noisy and were told it wasn't.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I arrived late in Penang and walked around checking out a few places and a girl stopped and asked if I was okay. She walked me next door to a store and showed me upstairs and it was great. Big rooms, very clean and really comfy mattresses. The most comfortable since leaving the UK!

I liked that it was attached to a store as I felt it made the hostel safer, it was less likely someone could walk into the hostel who wasn't staying there.

A great hostel and really helpful, friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends