“wonderful hotel and wonderful people”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Museum Hotel

Museum Hotel
Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“wonderful hotel and wonderful people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel with extremely friendly and helpful staff. It has a lovely elegant and relaxed atmosphere.The single room was a little cramped, but comfortable. The bathroom was nice and clean and the shower was excellent. The breakfasts were fantastic and they even threw in some local food for variety.

It is located down some dishevelled looking streets, but the area is clearly on the up and is only a short walk from the main roads, bus routes and restaurants and I never felt unsafe. This also means it's in a quiet part of town away from all the traffic and bar noise.

The staff were so sweet and attentive they make you feel special, which made it a wonderful stay. I only wish it wasn't so far from home so I could visit more often. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Single rooms are small and have no view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank KevinT62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

The hotel is set on a quiet and slightly scruffy back street - it looks as if other buildings around there are being restored, but at the moment this leads the way in style. The heritage design is tastefully carried out but with all the modern comforts - our double bed was huge with a comfortable deep matress and the bathroom, though not large, was well fitted out. Everything is in very good condition, and of high quality. The housekeeping is thorough and efficient.

Breakfast is served in a very large room which runs the length of the hotel. The selection of your breakfast menu the night before was unusual but it was very good - we tried the very prettily presented baked eggs and the eggs Benedict. I don't think the room works very well as a breakfast room - everything echoes, but it would make a nice function room.

What really makes the hotel is the lovely staff - young and maybe slightly unsure of themselves, but very keen and anxious to please. I would particularly like to mention the charming receptionist/concierge Jeff, who hits exactly the right note of friendliness and competence. A natural for the hospitality trade.

I would recommend a room overlooking the street, as we had, as I think that would get most natural light - it is quiet, with little passing traffic to make any disturbance.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank valise
Meleka, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here during Chinese new year, 2014. We were made to feel very welcome ad the staff were very friendly. The private museum is a must see (you must book a viewing) and the guide Munir was delightful and informative. The first issue we encountered was the price of the room! I had booked online but when we got there the price jumped by 100RM, we were tod that this was taxes and other charges. I did request a receipt but it did not show the breakdown of charges. This is definitely a museum hotel and the décor reflects bygone eras. I found it quite charming and this was one of the reasons why I choose this particular hotel. However I found the room Claus trophic, it was quite small and dark! There was lovely replica furniture but a modern painting on the wall over the bed! I did notice that other room had four poster beds, but unfortunately, not ours! the fan on the landing is very noisy, so much so that it actually kept us from sleeping!
The staff did inform us that they were in the process of a 'soft opening' and because of this all the facilities were not available! The gym is small, at a squeeze four people could exercise there and the roof garden leaves a lot to be desired! The pool is, under construction, at the moment.
The breakfast room was pretty but lacked 'something', I can't quite put my finger on it! It was sparse, the seating was uncomfortable and there was no 'atmosphere'
Although the staff are great I thought they lacked that 'X factor'. they were very obliging but had no clue what was going on in Georgetown. We needed information on where go to celebrate Chinese new year and honestly they just didn't know! They sent us off on a journey that they said would take 15 mins walking when in fact it took over thirty minutes! I was really disappointed in their local knowledge!
There are no views at all. This hotel is located on a back street, surrounded by derelict buildings. It is quiet (apart from the fan) and does have that 'colloquial' feel to it;apparently the owner bought nine terraced houses and turned them into a hotel.
I have to say, that although it is a nice hotel, it was not worth the price we paid to stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a four poster bed
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cailindeas2013
MuseuMhotelpenang, MuseuM Hotel Management at Museum Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Ms Cailindeas2013,

Thank you for taking the time to review Museum Hotel.

While it is heartening to hear that you had an overall positive experience at the hotel, I am very sorry that we couldn't meet all of your expectations. We certainly value every feedback we can get and will take your honest views into consideration.

In response to your feedback on the price, we have already e-mailed you personally for further clarification.

We are very sorry to hear that your sleep has been disturbed by the noise from the fan on the landing. We are glad to be informed, but only wish you had raised this issue to us during your stay as you would have experienced a better sleep then. Nevertheless please be assured that the issue has been rectified.

Another issue has been raised is regarding to our staff's local knowledge. We had looked at this issue with the Front Office Supervisor and has focus their training more on the local knowledge.

On the positive note, thank you for your compliments on the decoration in the Hotel and the service you received from our team.

We would very much appreciate an opportunity to change your impression on a return visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

This place is just amazing. It represents an excellent option to stay at Georgetown. Rooms and bathrooms are confortables, spacious and clean. All the details have been taken care, even the smallest, from the decoration of the rooms and public areas, till the impeccable service by staff. They strive to make your stay an unique and unforgettable experience.The "personalized" breakfast is good and very tasteful, you shouldn't miss it. Definitely an experience to repeat. Very good quality/price relationship.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I thought the hotel would be nice when I booked it but was amazed and what my money actually bought me! I arrived a little early before normal check in, but this was not a problem. The staff were apologetic and asked if I minded waiting for about half an hour whilst they finished cleaning my room and brought me a lovely lemongrass cool drink while I perused the fantastic pieces on display in the lobby. In the meantime, they took the time to talk to me, ask me what i wanted to do whilst in Penang and offered some great advice with regards to places to go, things to see and all the food to taste whilst there. the room was small but adequate for 1 person - I may have booked a larger room if more than 1 purely to give a bit of extra space although the amenities were perfectly adequate for my requirements. There was a lovely personalised note on my bed welcoming me - the following 2 nights I stayed were fantastic. The breakfast in the morning was brilliant. I tried the eggs Benedict and the dim sum, I was also brought a local delicacy (different one every day) and fruit with as much coffee and juice as I could drink. Every day after I came back from a day of sightseeing I was greeted by the staff and brought iced tea and the most gorgeous ginger ice cream! That was such a lovely personal touch. In the evening, somehow they would know when I was out of the room and come in to turn down my bed, switch the bedside lamp on and leave another personalised note with a reminder to order breakfast and a little sweet with a description of what it was. What can I say, my every requirement was met over and above my expectations. I was very sorry to leave - the location was brilliant to walk around Georgetown as well as for getting the bus to other parts of Penang. It was also very close to the food stalls on New Lane to which I would suggest a visit is a must. I can't compliment whoever is running this and their staff enough. Please don't change!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Alison B
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

For work reasons I have had many chances to visit Penang frequently over the last few months. This has given me the opportunity to spend time in many of the top rated heritage hotels on Tripadvisor(please see my reviews on Yeng Keng, Seven Terraces, and Love Lane).

Museum Hotel is a bank of 9 converted shop houses(number 62-80) and has 22 rooms. I had the opportunity to have a Nonya dinner with the Architect that did the hotel and he shared about the painstaking work that he undertook to do the project. The facade of the shop houses was maintained - as was the tiling and the overall structure. Please see the photos of the exterior attached to this review.

The interior decoration of the hotel is done in the Peranakan style which is a cross between Malay and Chinese culture. I understand that many of the older Penang families still have homes which are decorated in much the same way as the hotel is decorated. It appears that most of the furniture are replicas of older designs but were most likely rebuilt for the hotel. This is a little different from a property like Seven Terraces, where the furniture is quite authentically antique.

Perhaps the part that takes some getting used to is the size of the rooms. My guess is that each room is about 24 sq meters(~260 sq feet). It was perfectly fine for a solo traveler like myself, but I could imagine it being a squeeze if I had someone else along with me. You can see in the photos attached with this review that the width of the room is only marginally larger than the shortened queen sized bed in the room. The room however offers all the creature comforts that you would expect in hotels which are twice the price. The air conditioning(A/C) in the room is strong and the water in the bathroom is very hot. The hotel provides coffee/tea making facilities in the room and also bottled water. The complimentary internet was hit and miss for me, but for the most part, it did the job and I got my work emails sent off.

Of the various Penang heritage hotels that I have stayed at, Museum Hotel has offered the best value and has also offered the most personalized experience. I paid less than half of what I paid in the other heritage hotels in Penang. My MYR198 got me the room and also an excellent breakfast the next day, and a generous Amenity Set(see picture). That is less than half the price of the other heritage hotels that I have stayed at(Yeng Keng, Seven Terrace, Love Lane).

The level of personalization extended to having a letter on my bed welcoming me to the hotel to the portion of nutmeg on the mini-bar fridge personalized to me. The staff took the pains to remember my name and to address me by name throughout the hotel. They were also really good about bringing me refreshments as I came in and out of the hot and humid Penang weather. This is a level of service that I don't expect for an all in room rate of less than US$60 per night.

The breakfast at the hotel was also very good. Unlike Seven Terraces, I think the folks running the Museum Hotel are much more generous with their food portions. They brought me fruit, juice, coffee, and eggs benedict for breakfast. In addition, they brought me a delectable crispy local peanut pancake that was "to die for." The pancake was crisp, fragrant and melt in your mouth. My mouth is watering now even as I write this review.

A room tip is to choose a room which is odd numbered if you would like to get a room with a window facing out of the hotel and which gets a good amount of natural light. The shape of the hotel is such that the rooms that are even numbered are facing an inner air well, so the window is really non-functional.

The hardware at the hotel is very decent. There is an elevator at the hotel, which is great if you have difficult with stairs. Each room also has an in-room safe installed.

Overall, I had a good stay there and can absolutely see myself going back in the future. Hopefully by then, they would not have already raised the prices...

If you have found this review helpful, please indicate. Thank you.

Room Tip: Choose a room which is odd numbered if you would like to get a room with a window facing out of the...
Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
9 Thank Dover C
MuseuMhotelpenang, MuseuM Hotel Management at Museum Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We are indeed pleased that we were able to meet your expectations in terms of value, breakfast and room amenities. We appreciate your very detailed and honest review, however we would like to provide extra clarification for the benefit of other readers.

The Museum Hotel derives its name from the antiques that are displayed. The owner is a reputable antique collector in Penang and has fitted Museum Hotel with antiques from his private collection. We also house a private museum in the Hotel and is open exclusively for our in-house guests only.

The room that you stayed is a Single Standard room with a size of 19 sq meters. For sizes of other room types, I would encourage you to pay a visit to our website: http://www.museumhotel.com.my/rates-and-reservation.php

Regarding the room tip, please note that all Single Standard rooms does not have a view. This information can be found in the room description or in the room name in all affiliated Online Agents. In case of any doubts, please e-mail us at reservation@museumhotel.com.my.

Thank you once again for your positive feedback. We look forward that you will visit us again and will participate in our museum tour in your return visit.
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Great Location locate center of penang heritage tourist spot. Good service given by hotel staff. The room is clean and neat. Hotel fill with all kind antic. Walking distance to all heritage building. Easy access to local food

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple