“Nice Italian Restaurant in Gurney Plaza” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Michaelangelo's - CLOSED

Michaelangelo's
Cuisines: Italian
George Town, Malaysia
“Nice Italian Restaurant in Gurney Plaza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

On my first visit to Malaysia I was taken to a Michaelangelo's outlet in The Pavillion in KL by a casual acquaintance and I have to say that while I eat Chinese, Indian and Malay food the vast majority of the time, I occasionally get a craving for good Italian food and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food and the service of this restaurant in KL.

As such I was very pleased to see that a Michaelangelo's opened up in Penang opposite Starbucks in Gurney Plaza (GP). It is a stylish, clean and tidy looking place with seating both inside (air-conditioned) or outside on the terrace which fronts onto the 'coffee quadrangle' at GP.

We visited in a group and I had a Spaghetti Carbonara which was very nicely flavoured with cheese and was not swimming in an insipid creamy sauce which is a mistake many restaurants make with this dish outside of Italy. This cost around RM 29 which is about the cost of most of the dishes here. One of the diners had a very nicely cooked fillet of salmon at around RM 45 and another a well prepared and presented Lasagne, the filling having just the right balance of tomato, garlic and oregano, again at around RM 30. We had gone in happy hour (3pm - 9pm) so, amongst other drinks, got three pints of Kilkenny Irish Ale for the price of two (RM 48). The restaurant often runs beverage promotions

The restaurant has an extensive menu with a good range of starters, mains, deserts and snacks and a very wide range of soft drinks, alcohol and hot beverages. I really like Michaelangelo's I must say and will certainly visit the place on a regular basis. Worth checking out IMO. The food will be slightly more expensive here due to the location but still not prohibitively so and much more reasonable than Western prices IMO.

• Visited February 2013