SIOK Hostel, Penang
Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La(George Town)
$80
$72
G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
$147
$105
$73
$51
Travelocity
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
$114
$106
$51
$45
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
$61
$42
Cititel Penang(George Town)
$71
$52
Agoda.com
Spices Hotel(George Town)(Great Value!)
$67
$63
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Armenian Street Heritage Hotel(George Town)(Great Value!)
$64
$55
Agoda.com
Muntri Mews(George Town)
$103
getaroom.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfemale bathroomnice loungemixed dormsfree breakfastbunk bedsgreat air contop bunkprivate roomsimple breakfastwooden floorslight sleeperfree waterbus stopsingle roomhot waterdefinitely stay here againlocation is great
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My friends and I had a 2 days 1 night stay at syok for our so called 'graduation' trip.
Firstly, the location of the place is just right at the corner and it is very easy to find if you are going there by taxi. As you reached there, you will probably notice the Subway just beside it. (Subway as in Subway eat fresh, not Subway trains.)
Also take note to prepare an extra 50RM for deposit. I would recommend you to book your stay at Syok through their website as you will receive free towels only through their website, if you are lazy to bring one.
There is many place to eat around that area so there is no worries about food and most importantly the staff there is super friendly. If you have any inquiries, just approach them.
The common room or lounge is very spacious and there is free breakfast every morning around 7am-10am. The room which I stayed at is very spacious too.
The only thing I dislike the most is that there is no room door, only a curtain is used. Also, the floors are quite loud when you walk on it. You will probably need walk softer during the night as it might disturb your room mates. Take note if you are sleeping at the top, when people walk around in the room, you will feel a slight vibration, it may be irritating sometimes. But overall it was an awesome stay at Syok :)

Room Tip: sleep on the lower deck as mention above :)
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Really liked this place. It was clean, comfortable and modern. I don't recommend you walking from the jetty (as I did), take a taxi or bus. Be prepared to pay 50 ringgit deposit for towel and blanket when you arrive. I enjoyed the breakfast (cereals and toast with different jams).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Syok_at_Chulia, Manager at SIOK Hostel, Penang, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Dear Zorahhh,

Thank you for the kind review. We will strive to keep up the quality given to our guests. We hope to see you with us soon.

Regard

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My friends and I had a pleasant stay at Syok for our graduation trip. We slept on the 1st floor mixed dorm, which is near the toilet. We had 9 people so we added one extra bed in the 8 people dorm, and it was still spacious.
The lounge at the hostel is a fantastic place to chill with friends, especially at night since we had to be very quiet as there is no door for the room, only a curtain that doesn't block sound I suppose.
The location for this hostel is quite good as well. It is accessible to many restaurants and mini stores. There is Subway nearby if Malaysian food is not right for you. Also, it is easy to find as it is in the corner of a street, so you will be able to reach the hostel easily after a busy day even if you go by bus.
The friendly and helpful staff is another reason that I rated this hostel as excellent. They are very helpful on suggesting you local food, attractions, and anything that you asked. During our stay, it was one of our friend's birthday, so we decided to ask the hostel to suggest any place to buy birthday cake and they simply said they can help us to buy so we can move on to our schedule. That's very kind of them:) They could help to buy durian for you in a packed box if you want as well.
Overall, I really recommend this hostel to everyone travelling to Penang. You will be amazed by the tidiness, cleanness and friendless of Syok. :D 5-Star Hostel!

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Highly recommended.. I stayed at the girls dorm.. The environment is good and the best part of it is they have very friendly staff... Only down side is it is a bit noisy at night as it is next to the major road.... Other then that the place is very clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in 8 female bed dorm with a friend and it was lovely.
the room was spacious with huge locker and fluffy bed, not to mention its very clean.
since we're staying in female dorm, we're eligible to use female bathroom and toilet and i can say the bathroom was spotless...super clean for hostel standart. the shower is better than some 3 star hotels i went into. The breakfast was decent too, they served you various cereal, milk, toast & jam, good enough to start your day.
The best thing is the staff. they're super friendly.. always greet you with smile, recomend local food or attraction and willing help you 24/7. two thumbs up for the staff!

For light sleeper like me, the room was quite noisy because i can hear everything outside the building, and in my first night there was like street music from 12-2am.
plus, no solid door in every room only curtain provided. it makes noise from outside getting louder.
I think if they can provide solid door in everyroom, things would be greater. :)

I will definitly recommend it to my friends :)

1  Thank hestihesti