“Excellent Hostel”

SIOK Hostel, Penang
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Syok is located at the start of Lorong Chulia, at the junction with Jalan penang. After i arrived at the airport and take bus 401 and stop at the other end of lorong chulia, it took me 10mins to get here. usually i will look around for more choices, but i fell in love straight away.

People:
The people in this place is wonderful. Boon, checked me in, took me to my bed, showed me around, told me to get some rest, and when i am ready, he gave me a 30mins brief of penang and things to see, food to eat. its like a mini history class. Karen, the owner, me to this great burger place 'marshalls' and i ended up having 2 burgers one shot. Tim whom i met the day before i left, told me to grab some meat at sky hotel.

Location:
Jalan penang have the best chendol and assam laksa in penang, 5mins walk
red garden have a huge variety of choices of food, 3mins walk
mugshot, a place to check out, 5mins walk
Chinahouse, MUST check out place, 15mins walk
bus stop that serves most buses along jalan penang, 4mins walk

Place:
Clean, very clean, so clean i didn't realised i am in a hostel.
comfy beds, huge space, nice aircon, great shower area with rainshower, and wifi is working all around the hostel.

my 2 other roommates, one russian-german lady and one guy from the states agree that this is one of the best hostels we have stayed in. we even commented that it felt more like a hotel and we were quite worried to be dressed poorly.

i will stay back in this place everytime i visit penang!

Room Tip: Just stay in the mixed dorm and hope to meet nice people!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
KarenSLT, Owner at SIOK Hostel, Penang, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Tancheetong,

Thank you for taking time to write us on Tripadvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and most of all enjoyed what Penang has to offer. We hope that we will see you again soon and safe journey!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The hostel is actually at the junction of Lorong Chulia and Jalan Penang. It took me a while to find it as I started from the other end. Lorong Chulia is quite long. The Rapid Penang airport bus no. 401 does not pass near it. You can actually change bus at Komtar and get another bus that pass in front of the hostel. Or you get a taxi from Komtar to the hostel if you have a lot of luggage. Lorong Chulia is right in the middle of everything, the sights, the eating place, etc.

The Rapid Penang buses are new and can use it to get to the sights but be prepared to wait a bit.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

My partner and I stayed in the 2nd floor private room for two nights in March. The hostel was surprisingly quiet (in the sense of not being busy), and while we saw others coming in asking after the booked private room, there was plenty of space in the dorms.

Most of the key features have been described well by other recent reviewers. The service is friendly and the place is clean, including the mixed, shared showers and loos. Our in-room wifi was fairly reliable, though we struggled to connect to the downstairs hotspot in reception.

The location is great, at the west end of Chulia Street within easy walking distance of Komtar, Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion and the bars on Penang Street. The downside of this is the street noise, which while likely unavoidable in this type of accommodation means that light sleepers may find earplugs necessary for a restful night.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Went to Penang with some mates and the booking process was fairly easy. Staff was very friendly too. Location is near the murals and food is abundant nearby. The place also has an artsy feel to it other then it's already clean and neat setting. Recommend anyone from traveller to locals to stay here . Definitely value for money .

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed March 8, 2014

As a first experience in a guesthouse, I was pleasantly surprised as how great it could be. The rooms were really spacious for a 8-bedroom, with large lockers. The bathrooms were shared with ladies and gents, which was an interesting experience, but for ladies who would feel uncomfortable, they have a ladies only section. I met few people who were fun to talk to, which made the experience even better. The price is great to, and the staff can speak good english and very helpful. Recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2014

The hostel is located in the main street, so it was easy to find especially since I arrived really late at night. The cleanest hostel I ever been. I enjoyed the paintings on the walls and the projects which the hostel creates such as confession wall and before I die..

I booked a bed in mix dorm room. On my first night I ended up on 3rd floor because of misunderstanding between the staff about my room. The 3rd floor is supposed to be group floor. At that day the hostel was full and there were around 40 students staying. I slept with 6-7 students. The problems are they were kind of noisy in the morning since they woke up almost at the same time and moved around which I could feel since the floor is made from wood. It was the only minor I encountered though. The staff was really sorry about the room mistake and moved me to 2nd floor the next day.

I appreciated how attentive the staff were. They helped me to book my ticket, gave recommendation for places to eat, etc. I won't hesitate to stay at syok again if I ever come back to Penang. Overall, it is a very nice hostel.

Just a suggestion, maybe for a big group guests (>10 people), the staff can inform the guests not to be too noisy in the morning since some people are still sleeping :)

Dear Siscawiguno,

Thank you for the lovely comments and my apologies for the oversight on the first night. You have been such a wonderful guest and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

clean, neat, amazing hostel to live in. the common room is relaxing place to hang out and the "before i die wall" is a cute addition, great staff and met some great fellow travellers. i would definetly recommend a stay here if you are in penang, :D

Room Tip: the noise from the street is a little disturbing if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo