“Excellent guesthouse”

SIOK Hostel, Penang
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent guesthouse”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

As a first experience in a guesthouse, I was pleasantly surprised as how great it could be. The rooms were really spacious for a 8-bedroom, with large lockers. The bathrooms were shared with ladies and gents, which was an interesting experience, but for ladies who would feel uncomfortable, they have a ladies only section. I met few people who were fun to talk to, which made the experience even better. The price is great to, and the staff can speak good english and very helpful. Recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Beppu, Japan
Reviewed March 5, 2014

The hostel is located in the main street, so it was easy to find especially since I arrived really late at night. The cleanest hostel I ever been. I enjoyed the paintings on the walls and the projects which the hostel creates such as confession wall and before I die..

I booked a bed in mix dorm room. On my first night I ended up on 3rd floor because of misunderstanding between the staff about my room. The 3rd floor is supposed to be group floor. At that day the hostel was full and there were around 40 students staying. I slept with 6-7 students. The problems are they were kind of noisy in the morning since they woke up almost at the same time and moved around which I could feel since the floor is made from wood. It was the only minor I encountered though. The staff was really sorry about the room mistake and moved me to 2nd floor the next day.

I appreciated how attentive the staff were. They helped me to book my ticket, gave recommendation for places to eat, etc. I won't hesitate to stay at syok again if I ever come back to Penang. Overall, it is a very nice hostel.

Just a suggestion, maybe for a big group guests (>10 people), the staff can inform the guests not to be too noisy in the morning since some people are still sleeping :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
KarenSLT, Owner at SIOK Hostel, Penang, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Siscawiguno,

Thank you for the lovely comments and my apologies for the oversight on the first night. You have been such a wonderful guest and we hope to see you again soon!
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed March 3, 2014

clean, neat, amazing hostel to live in. the common room is relaxing place to hang out and the "before i die wall" is a cute addition, great staff and met some great fellow travellers. i would definetly recommend a stay here if you are in penang, :D

Room Tip: the noise from the street is a little disturbing if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Guangzhou, China
Reviewed February 26, 2014

It is located in a main street so it's easy to find.We went different places and interests by walking,so it is very convinient.And the environment is great and people in syok are very willing to help us visit this town.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2014

It's a nice place, nice people, safe ,the location is good! There have a play room and it's wonderful!!
Maybe u can make some new friend there!If I will go penang next time,I must back to Syok again! Syok is the best!!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Chow Y,

Thank you for the wonderful comment! We constantly strive to improve and ensure our guests are comfortable and relaxed at Syok. I am glad Syok is like a home...that is an ultimate compliment. Hope to see you at Syok again soon.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hostel was my highlight for my trip to Penang. I'm happy that I chose this hostel.

The location is very convenient, it's really easy to find compared to other hostel I passed by when I was exploring the city. It's near the Komtar Bus terminal which has bus going to the airport from there. Plenty of hawker food nearby.

The place was very clean, common room is excellent for me, and the staff (Beth, Tim, Boon How) are excellent, they're very friendly and would be more than happy to give you suggestions on what to do if you need them. :)

I will truly recommend this hostel to whoever looking for a good place to explore Georgetown :)

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear 3mt1,

Thank you for giving us such encouraging comments! This makes the staff super proud and will further improve our services. We are thankful that our efforts are being recognised. See you at Syok again soon.
Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Great backpackers - very clean with great quirky artwork throughout. Bed was comfortable - we stayed in one of the private rooms, please note there is no ensuite but the bathrooms are just downstairs and are perfectly clean & suitable. Breakfast was simple but fine to grab some toast or cereal before the day starts. It was pretty hot when we travelled so the air-con is great. Dorm rooms look very neat and spacious with plenty of storage space. Bit of street noise but I think that would be the case with any of the places in georgetown. Highly recommend. Wi-fi available in all rooms but not great signal in private double room.

Room Tip: Mixed room doors on the top level mean you have to walk downstairs to the bathroom, but you are on t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple