“Rustic Charm and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Seven Terraces

Seven Terraces
Ranked #1 of 84 Hotels in George Town
KL
“Rustic Charm and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel was originally 7 individual units which were bought and then renovated into 1 large "building". The renovation is done very nicely with a number of old fashioned features such as the tiling and balustrade. For this alone it's worth the visit. The hotel position is inside the old town so there are a number of little cafes and other places of interest nearby as well as being able to see the old town streets and houses if you are into that sort of thing.

Getting to the hotel using Google maps was pretty easy but it stops you at the front of the building, to get to the carpark at the back you needs to go a bit further. Fortunately I got one of the staff to drive me around the back (Thanks for that!) if you're getting a taxi should be no issue finding it. When we arrived the bloke at the desk also gave us a map with a number of suggested walking trails around Penang (I was there for a meeting so I didn't try them)

I cannot speak for the other units but the one I was in was a 2 story with the beds on the bottom floor and the lounge room on top. I thought the rooms were great, well kept and there was enough room for the 4 of us (2 adults & 2 kids) and we hardly spent any time in the upstairs section. The highlight of the room is the bathroom which is huge and has a rainwater head on it which makes taking long showers a must.

During the night we dined at the restaurant which had a small menu of a Anglo-Asian mix food. Mostly this was pretty good but I found the lamb to be rather fatty considering the prices. In saying that, we were also given some extra food for nothing and the servings themselves we of a good size.

The sleep quality was no issue, I found it comfortable and quiet thorough out the night. The next morning breakfast was fantastic. Because the hotel is a boutique the breakfast is to order, we got down at around 7:30am and found we were the only ones there. We ordered a couple of big breakfast's with some fresh coffee as well as some fruit. The hotel is not halal so if you have a bacon thing you will do well here.

Overall we only had a short 1 night stay but I found the staff to be very helpful and did go out of their way to make us feel accommodated as well as interacting with the kids during breakfast.

The hotel is not cheap though (we racked up RM1000 for the room + 1 dinner), so if you're looking to get a high level of service but needing to pay the price to go along with it I would say 7 Terraces is a good spot, if your looking for bargain hotel with good service I wouldn't suggest this is the place.

Room Tip: Not alot for kids here but there is a small pool for them to kill some time with.
6 Thank Keith_KL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

When you are in the heart of heritage Georgetown, you cannot avoid the noise, smoke, scent, crowd and bustle of a lively heritage city, yet Seven Terraces offers just the opposite, calm, quiet, charming and relaxingly cosy. And if you think Nonya heritage is only good food, Seven Terraces will take you back to the golden age of the Peranakans. First and foremost traders, what is better than to experience Peranakan living than in a row of luxuriously converted strait settlement shophouses where you can step out to see cylists in shorts, smell smoke from a Chinese temple and hear school children singing, Yet when you step inside, you are in an oppulent oasis, decorated with antiques and ornaments revealing the wonderfully rich and ornate refinements a wealthy Peranakan would have enjoyed a century back, The rooms are huge and indivually decorated (some even have antique day beds), service is discrete yet excellent and, somehow, the 4pm tea just adds to the assurance that your are being looked after, very well. A truely enjoyable place to get away from it all, even though you right in the heart of old Georgtown. Amazing.

Room Tip: The Argus apartments have beautiful balcony to look out from. And for a truely stylish approach to S...
6 Thank TCK K
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Over the weekend, I was in Georgetown , Penang. I read so much about the UNESCO heritage and the histories of shop houses there , that I have decided to indulge myself to stay in one of the most expensive boutique hotel , Seven Terraces, so I could soak into the cultural , both in form and experience.
My first impression of the architecture was great. I must compliment the owners for a great job in replicating and conserving the design and form.
In terms of functionality , well, I did experience the high ceiling and loft bedroom and the "inconvenience " of old ;having to take the stairs to the bathroom on the first floor..and hearing all the "night owls" from the streets as I eased myself in the change over balcony to bathroom cum toilet. So I told myself , it did feel like I was brought back to the 20's...
However, my experience shattered the next morning when I went for breakfast. It was a Sunday, and I was already very late for breakfast; arrived at 10.25 am and breakfast would end at 10.30 am.
The cafe was full and there was no table available. No staff was there to greet us nor try to find a table in another part of the lounge for us. I had to suggest to them to let me sit in another part of the lounge ..this to me is unacceptable. Finally, after about 10 minutes I was brought into the cafe after some people had left.
I asked the waiter if he had been very busy and he said yes it was full and he alone was serving. (I must said, the waiter was very patient in spite of the crowd.)
What surprised me is the lack of proper hospitality training for the hotel staff .
Also, my toilet was not thoroughly cleaned. I noticed the same strain of hair had been on the sink for the 3 days I was there. The hand towel was never changed too nor were there slippers in the room.
So I asked myself, what do I look for in my choice of an heritage boutique style hotel , surely as a traveler, I would want not only to experience the hotel 's grandiose architecture but more importantly , the hospitality of its staff and comfort of a great stay. This , unfortunately , is the one piece of missing puzzle in Seven Terraces, the essence of hospitality.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
13 Thank jo o
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great rooms, with excellent and intelligent designs with a touch of vintage feel. I especially love the super spacious bathroom and you can literally SIT on the floor to enjoy the shower. It's so "zen" and awesome. They should have installed a bathtub too! What a shame!

Location and privacy at their best too. Attractions are nearby and can be explored by foot. Lovely pool and helpful staff who are always at your service anytime. Very friendly and informative manager too!

Make sure you check out the restaurant "The Kabaya", fantastic Nyonya cuisine and wonderful staff.

Overall, it's worth the bucks!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jeffrey B
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Pros
(1) Beautiful renovated hotel with pretty antique furniture.
(2) Food was very good. Room rate includes western breakfast which was good. There is a restuarant that serves peranakan food with a western interpretation. Very original and well done. Chef is obviously talented.
(3) Room was big. Good value considering size of room.
(4) Excellent hotel map with suggested walks and stalls/resturants to try.
(5) Cosy bar with nice cocktails.
(6) Small swimming pool for a refreshing afternoon swim.
(7) Free afternoon tea.

Cons
(1) Rooms at Stewart lane side can be nosiy. The piano from the downstairs restaurant can be heard at night, and in the morning, there is traffic noise in that there are motorbikes. It is quiet in the middle of the night as the road outside is just a one lane road.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kallang
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

The wonderful:
It's a beautifully restored property done in the classiest way possible. It was the perfect place to take pictures with my camera and lenses.
The toilet was impressive. What looked like a previous balcony was transformed into a gigantic toilet with a nice rain shower in the centre. No bathtubs here though.
The privacy was great. Small number of rooms ensured peace and tranquility.
Service was excellent and personal. However, not much of the other legendary stuff others wrote about. Eg no cut fruits at the pool, addressing us by name etc. They certainly needed to check our room number. But it was a very high standard nonetheless.

The nit-picking.
As in all boutique hotels, there were small details which made it less than perfect.
We arrived very late at night and didn't inform them of this. We went to the stated address on Stewart Lane but that entrance was closed at 10 pm. We had to call and be redirected to the main entrance on a small lane. Did not help that it rained. No shelter from the car to the entrance but they thoughtfully used umbrellas to shield us.
The aircon in the room was blowing directly at the bed. Needed some adjustments to it to prevent cool air from blowing right at our faces.
The hot water supply in the shower was on and off. By the time I took my turn, it was a bit cold. Not too great especially after getting caught in the rain.
It is a restored conservation house. There will be creaking of floor panels and sounds of door closing etc. We expected this and it was ok to us.

Overall I debated between 4 and 5 for the ratings but taking everything into consideration, including relative cost compared to the other hotels in Penang, I had to give it a 4 but almost 5 rating. The proof of the pudding is that we will still go back for another stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Singap0reTraveller
George Town, Penang
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'm convinced that Seven Terraces is utterly unique! There is no other boutique hotel in Asia quite like it and I don't think there ever will be.

Its owners (these guys were integral in its design, its finishing, its entire outlook) should stand tall and be counted, because this is an exceptional renovation that just keeps adding to the experience of staying, eating or drinking here.

That the entire hotel is filled with the most beautiful antiques is just another reason I love the place. That its central to everything in George Town, yet another, that it has an ubber cool swimming pool, yet another. I also love the fact that you can sit in its restaurant and watch the rain filling central courtyard, which is open to the elements, and then watch it slowly drain away, just as the original owners would have done over 100 years ago.

I actually love this hotel and there are so many aspects that keep me coming back. One last note, its bar. If you are looking for a 1930's bar experience, this is it. If you don't stay here, and you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't, go for a few drinks and soak up its atmosphere. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Its all good, have no fear.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
#5 of 84 in George Town
Museum Hotel
Museum Hotel
#9 of 84 in George Town

Been to Seven Terraces? Share your experiences!