“Heritage, food and superb service”
Review of Seven Terraces

Seven Terraces
Ranked #1 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

The seven terraces hotel is our ideal hotel.

Upon entering the lobby area we were met by the ever smiling and helpful manager Ewan and the very able Yoon. When first impressions in hospitality are so vital these days, this team has got it spot on. Ewan was there all the time to make sure that our stay was the best it could be.

It's the little things that make a hotel like this stand out amongst architectural gems,
be it the unique design of the bathrooms , the finely crafted spindles of the antique staircase ( that would fit well in a Hollywood movie set ) the blood red bedroom doors or the largest wooden bar cabinet that I have ever seen , in the Bababar. The antiques throughout the hotel would make the most ardent of collectors jealous.

Our large and well-appointed room had two levels, a sleeping area upstairs and living area and bathroom downstairs. The beds high threaded sheets and comfy pillows made for a wonderful night’s sleep. The bedroom had a WC upstairs and also a balcony overlooking the Georgian church. My only slightly negative comment about the room is that the WC on the balcony looked unfinished compared to the rest of the hotel, not in keeping, but it was great to have!

Restaurant was gastrotastic! Servings were plentiful and staff was service orientated. The piano player gave forth many favorite melodies from Les Mis to opera arias and we loved sitting on the swivel chairs at the baba bar listening , sipping and people watching in this very buzzing little area.

The pool was a great way to cool down after a day’s walking about the interesting historic sites. Another credit to the staff training was the appearance of cool water and sliced oranges when we returned from our swim which was waiting for us at our chairs side.

Joanna, the Chinese walking tour guide, was fantastic, very much worth the cost. We learned more from her in two hours than we did from our researching a month prior to our holiday.

A great experience and I highly recommend this hotel to those who like small unique hotels with great food and service. For business travellors , families with small kids or those who enjoy large resort / chain hotels, i would not necessarily recommend this hotel as it does not have the business gadgets , gyms, gardens and spas that one would expect.
Overall - Well run and designed little boutique hotel which deserves all the international accolades that it is receiving.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank lazza1983

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Stewart Lane Suite for 3 nights coincided with the George Town festival.

It was a wonderful experience with everything just "works" from the size of the hotel to the tasteful architecture true to the traditions and surroundings, and to the professional and friendly staff of Yunn, Faizal, Prakaash & Dilip, just to name a few.

We loved the space especially the rain shower, the dinning experience at kebaya, at the backdrop of some beautiful piano pieces, and the hotel map, which was informative - we used it all the times in exploring the historic George Town. Not to mention the local knowledge from the helpful staff on the places to see and the places to eat.

Stewart Lane side could be a bit noisier with the local traffic but it was not an issue for us knowing that we were at the heart of a living heritage site. Some suggestions would be to add some local varieties to the breakfast selections given the delicious cooking from kebaya, and the antique shop to showcase more choices of items.

The place is more beautiful than the photos and we hope to be back soon.

1  Thank tobeslo
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My family and I decided to spend 2 nights in George Town and after reading all the reviews, I decided to give Seven Terraces a try. We were greeted by the hotel's friendly driver upon arrival at the airport and we arrived at the hotel in about 20 mins. My folks tagged along and my dad, being a true-blue peranakan, was pretty awed by how beautiful the hotel was. It wasn't just the many antiques displayed at the lobby or the lovely courtyard of the hotel. It was how this hotel managed to capture the essence of an actual peranakan house that makes this a very unique boutique hotel.

Because all single-storey rooms were fully booked, we had to settle for the double-storey Stewart Lane rooms. It's true about the steep stairway leading up to the bedroom but one just need to be careful when going up and down because it really wasn't a problem for us. (We had 2 boys travelling with us - 6 yrs old and a 3 yrs old). In fact, it is an excellent idea to have the bedroom separated from the living area and bathroom as it provides a little more privacy. The bathroom was nicely done up with shutters that open during the day and closed during turndown service. The rain shower was excellent! We had breakfast at the hotel - pancakes, full breakfast of eggs, toast, hashbrowns, sausages etc. All very delicious! The hotel is easily accessible to most attractions. The hotel provides DIY walking tours which is a bonus. It is also next to Little India and there you can find very good Indian food.

And finally, a big THANK YOU to Ewan for making us feel so at home! and to Yunn for your wonderful service! You guys are doing a fantastic job!

Highly recommend those who want to stay at George Town to stay at Seven Terraces!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank msbeatrice
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Seven Terraces must be one of my favorite hotels ever!
I stayed here with my husband only for a long weekend (wish we could have stayed longer) and had such a wonderful relaxing time, I cannot wait to go back.
Set right in the center of George Town it was perfectly located for walking out to see all the sights; however it is nicely tucked away on a peaceful street making the hotel a tranquil retreat.
We were very lucky to have the Argus Apartment, a stunning two floor apartment with a beautiful four poster bed, balcony off the bedroom, massive bathroom with freestanding bath and monsoon rain shower and an enormous private terrace overlooking the swimming pool – a perfect setting to enjoy a few ‘Georgetown Coolers’!
I can recommend the restaurant in the hotel too, they do a set dinner in the evening & the food was delicious and at a reasonable price in a beautiful room.
The team at the hotel could not have been friendlier, they really made me very comfortable and were always very helpful – thank you Ewan & the team.

Room Tip: Argus Apartment has the massive rood terrace - is wonderful.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Seven Terraces feels more like staying with a friend who has a beautiful home, is a gourmet chef and has exceptional help in running the household. The hotel is beautiful in a relaxed way - tastefully decorated in the traditional, local style and exudes a feeling of calm. Some ammenities provided at cookie cutter hotels may not be offered here - wash cloth, a proper closet, plastic water bottles, for example but every thing it does offer far exceeds what you might think you need. The entire staff was very accommodating, I'm sure they would do whatever was needed to make a guest happy, they did for my husband and me. Breakfast was delicious, you order from a menu and can order as many dishes as you like. The in-house restaurant was one of the best meals my husband and I have eaten in Malaysia in the three years we have lived here; local dishes with French influences. The location is ideal for walking around George Town. Across the street from the hotel is a nice place for drinks, snacks or lunch as are the places reccommened by the hotel. The antique shop associated with the hotel has a very nice selection of blue and white ware which was resonable priced. As other reviewers have mentioned the stairs in the two story rooms are steep and may be a problem for anyone with mobility isues. My only complaint would be that a full length mirror somewhere in the suite would be nice. We used the hotel for airport transportation which went smoothly. Staying here definitely makes one feel as if they are in Malaysia and not just any other hotel in any other city around the world.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jillianchris
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I spent four nights recently at Seven Terraces and really loved our stay. The place itself is gorgeous, a beautiful renovation decorated with antique furniture and ceramics. The atmosphere is relaxed but the staff, under the direction of the very pleasant and efficient Ewan, are very attentive and willing to help with any little request. We organised a pick-up at the airport from the hotel for 100Rm, which was efficient and saved hunting round for a taxi. Our room was two-storey with steep steps but once used to them, it was fine and there is a second small bathroom on the upper bedroom floor, which saves going down the stairs in the night to go to the bathroom. Certainly it is not slick and fully air-conditioned in public areas but the open areas like the breakfast room and the patio by the pool are cool and shady and have ceiling fans. Our reservation was seamlessly handled by email and there was no real check-in needed, which in slick, modern hotels can take an eternity. The owners obviously have a clear idea of how it should be run and there is a real generosity about the place, with ample staff and beautiful things everywhere. I only discovered (just as well) on the last day there is a small shop at the rear offering a selection of antique ceramics and furniture. The restaurant has great food and a small, decent wine list. There is also a bar where a pianist plays at night, anything from the American songbook to opera arias, a welcome change of musical style from the terrible 80s music played in most taxis and some cafes in George Town. We were sad to leave and back in Singapore in a big, modern hotel found ourselves longing for Seven Terraces. The only suggestion for improvement we have is to offer a small breakfast buffet with juices, fruit, cereal and breads alongside the a la carte offerings, which would allow a bit more flexibility at breakfast. Other than that, it was great and we would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who prefers the more boutique style of hotel.

1  Thank jhmacd
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was impressed by all of the positive Trip Advisor reviews and eager to stay at Seven Terraces, but was not as impressed as other guests. To begin, it was not possible to make reservations directly from the web site...it involved several emails back and forth. The process went smoothly but it lacked efficiency. Also, it would be helpful if the web site gave directions to the hotel. After circling Georgetown several times, we finally got out our GPS and directed our taxi driver to the hotel.

We considered staying at the E and O but liked the idea of a small hotel with personal attention. The reception area was hot and humid when we arrived (no AC in the central part of the house), but my husband and I were greeted warmly and a pot of tea was delivered to our room shortly after our arrival. Good start.

We were in a one-story Stewart suite. The room was huge and spacious but we would have liked a desk so that we didn't need to prop up our computer on our laps. One of the easy chairs was in a direct line of the air conditioner, making it too chilly to sit there for an extended period. The furnishings reflected the peranakan style, but there was little drawer space and a box of facial tissues in its cardboard container sitting on the chest seemed out of place.

It was fun to open and close various doors and shutters to let in/block light and air, and the fixtures made us feel as if we were living in a home rather than hotel. The bathroom was massive but afforded no privacy if two people wanted to use it at one time. The sink was enclosed in a "cabinet," but the workmanship was shoddy compared to the fine woodwork in other parts of the room. The mullions were obviously fake, and one had already peeled off. I loved the scent of the shower gel, but there was no washcloth. It was difficult to soap myself using the hand-held shower and the liquid soap. The rain shower was terrific for washing hair.

There was a pleasant breeze in the library where we ate breakfast, which was mostly western choices with juice or fresh fruit.(We were used to both at other hotels we stayed at in Malaysia.) Service was extremely slow. The breakfast staff seemed to have limited mastery of English, which the management alerted us to in literature about the hotel. If I stayed here again, I would book a room without breakfast, which cost an additional 100 MR.

The hotel staff arranged for us to take a tour of the city with Joann.That was the highlight of our stay. Before leaving for our tour, I asked for bottled water (the room only had a huge glass bottle of water) and inquired if it was complimentary. I was told there was a charge, but we took it anyway. The next day we bought our own water. In the end, we were never charged.

I used the pool twice. The first time I was offered water but the second time, no one was around to provide it. I was surprised there were inconsistencies since the hotel prides itself on fine service. Bottom line: good mixed with not-so-good.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 43josie
gentaylorPenang, General Manager at Seven Terraces, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear 43josie

Thank you for your email . We always appreciate guest feedback as it assists us in improving and providing a better experience for our guests.

Although we take on board all guest comments I wanted to address a few comments of yours that perhaps future guests might be confused about. All rooms have do a desk and all rooms have 2 remote controls for the air conditioning units ,pressing the air vents control button would have moved the flow of cool air to your more desired position. Inside our specially designed cabinets there is a pull out drawer and a shelf on which to place ones clothes.

Thank you for bringing our attention to the tissue box without a cover and your thoughts on the "shoddy workmanship" in the cabinet . These are both things that we can and will look into immediately and are useful comments.

Thank you for you comments about the 12 foot high rain shower , we love the fact that so many guests enjoy this feature. I am sorry that the hand shower confused you.

Our staff are from 7 different countries, ( English is often their 3rd language ) and with the help of weekly English lessons are improving daily , we are proud of their progress and we continue to nurture them . We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay with us.

The 2 large glass water bottles and all the mini bar fridge fruit juices are complimentary and so are any replacements you need , I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding, as you noticed at check out there was no charge.

I hope we are able to have you stay with us again in the future .

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
#2 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
G Hotel Kelawai
G Hotel Kelawai
#12 of 88 in George Town

Been to Seven Terraces? Share your experiences!