“IMPRESSIVE!”

Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Hong Kong
“IMPRESSIVE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at this beautiful mansion very much. They paid attention to every single details and it's truly outstanding in all aspects! I would rate this little gem a 6 Stars because it provides you with the best of everything, in a STYLISH way. Btw, I tried the mojitos and bellini at the bar and they were superb.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SereneLeung
eightroomsMM, Manager at Macalister Mansion, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
It was our pleasure to host your stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Indonesian first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at this boutique hotel during our recent vacation in Penang, after having read some magazines in Hong Kong featuring this brand new boutique hotel in Georgetown Penang. This hotel is creating some hype in Hong Kong with many features and reviews by Hong Kong magazines and web sites.

We were not let down at all with the quality of the service and hotel room. The service is impeccable. We were offered welcome drinks upon our arrival, which we were told was their in house mixed drink ...very refreshing.

We stayed in Room 3 and were absolutely amazed at the design and amenities offered in the room. Our room has a balcony that overlooks the stunning swimming pool. The details that have been put into the room and the overall hotel are absolutely incredible and certainly beyond expectation of what most foreign visitors would envisage Penang to be. We even have our own personalized stationery prepared subtly inside the drawer and it was indeed a surprise when I opened the drawer to find it.

The quality of the mattress and linen were very good. Upon further enquiry with the guest service staff, we were told that they use Simmons mattress, and the linen is of 400-500 thread count. We were surprised the level of the quality that this hotel has strived to achieve. It was certainly a wonderful sleep for us, and we now have second thought that W or Westin offered the best bed comfort.. :)

Inside the room, they even offered complimentary minibar although all non-alcoholic drinks. There is a Nespresso machine and also TWG tea bags, not forgetting the B&O iPod dock speakers. Wow... not many 5 stars hotels in Hong Kong can even match these. Furthermore, we were told that they have specially commissioned artwork in every room. Very impressive indeed!

The overall design is white in theme and quirky in certain aspects. Very tastefully done ..I must say. We didn't get to try the restaurants in the mansion, but managed to take a quick tour around. Superb design and blend nicely with the overall hip and contemporary concept of the mansion.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to my friends who will be visiting Penang. You get a taste of the Penang heritage with this 100 year old mansion and yet a superb rest with the modern comfort that the hotel room provides.

Room Tip: Check out their web site to choose the room that suits you in terms of design and layout. Every room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Felix C
eightroomsMM, Manager at Macalister Mansion, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
It has been our pleasure to host your stay and glad that you had a great time! We try the best we can to provide all our guests with an enjoyable experience... and hopefully a lasting impression when you return to Hong Kong.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

If you are looking for a beautiful, unique, artistic place with delicious food, good service and convenient location to stay in Penang, this is the right place for you. After registration at the reception area, a polite and well trained staff accompanied me to my room (No.6) and explained all the facilities in it. My room and the bath room inside was just beautiful, with lots of elegant and artistic decorations. The bathroom was providing H2O products and we enjoyed very much the foam bath in the bath tub.........so comfortable and relaxing. According to the hotel owner each room has a theme and I had viewed other rooms of my friends and they were as beautiful but with different characteristic and layout. We had our breakfast in the living room and our dinner one night at the elegant dining room. With lots of variety from the menu, the food was so delicious that we really had to praise the chef and the caring service of the staff. The bar was also a great place to chat with your friends and listened to good music of the band but we were too tired the first night that we just walked in and had a look. Moreover, the location of this hotel was so convenient that it didn't take us much time to see the points of interest and heritage sites of Penang. After all, I would highly recommend this place and it's worth every dollar you spent.

Room Tip: Click on the website of the hotel to look at each room's layout and pictures to decide which ro...
2 Thank Victor L
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was in the taxi approaching Macalister Mansion, when I spotted it and the taxi driver’s jaw dropped…the next few seconds was observed by pure silence…... The view of the mansion lit up in the night sky is a picture to behold. I took a snapshot in my mind and tucked it away as one of the most beautiful sights I’ve seen in the world. After visiting so many countries while working as a flight attendant, Malaysia and Penang in particular has always had a special place in my heart. Not because it’s my home country, but because this country has so much to offer but you must keep your eyes wide open enough to see.
I had the most wonderful privilege to stay at Macalister Mansion in Room No 5. Walking into the mansion, I noticed how the overall design fused old and modern in perfect harmony. One has to have a genius creative mind to have created this masterpiece. Guests have to appreciate its impeccably designed features and have a creative mind themselves to really absorb the brilliance of Macalister Mansion.
I loved the hospitality and friendliness of the staff. They welcomed me in true Malaysian style. It made me feel like I’ve come back to my own home. The front office staff escorted me to the room and explained everything I needed to know about the room. This was very helpful as I would not have known where the remote was kept (replica book box) or how to draw the curtains (automatic switch). I also noticed that every single part of the room was very well thought off and she explained to me that every room (only 8 in the mansion) was custom designed. The mansion is indeed a handcrafted masterpiece.
The bathroom was amazing, I especially appreciated the ‘mother of pearl-like’ tiles. I walked around the room taking in every single detail. The toiletries are H20+ products and there was a champagne bubble bath bottle tempting me to immediately draw a bath! The full length mirrors are perfect for dressing up with the girls before hitting the clubs. And talking about clubs, you don’t have to go far.
Bagan Bar is part of the mansion and are you in for a treat!! Once again, every single detail of the design is worth noticing. The shiny sparkly flooring, red velvet walls and amazing raindrop lighting are all part of this masterpiece. It is theme night every Saturday and I was thrilled that it was ‘Back to School’ theme party the day I was there. The waiters dressed as school boys and girls with backpacks, the DJ dressed as a teacher and the bar manager dressed as a headmistress. All in good fun! The essence of Penang preserved at the mansion with the most electrifying staff on board!
Had dinner and breakfast at The Living Room (the café) and you don’t just get your typical Penang, Malaysian or Western food. Every dish on the menu has been well thought of by an Executive Chef. Yes the mansion offers you luxury in every form to delight all your 5 senses. There is a fine dining restaurant, aptly named The Dining Room as well if you’d like to indulge gourmet luxury. The swimming pool….ohhhhh the swimming pool….it’s more than just a swimming pool! It’s one of those things you see and can never resist. I’m definitely going back to the mansion again just for that swimming pool!
Go ahead, book yourself in at Macalister Mansion and you will definitely be the next one to write praises as I did here. I have no doubt about it!

2 Thank judico
Penang
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

A beauty in the heart of Georgetown. Reminiscence of a bygone era. It's bar, The Den, is a heaven for whisky connoisseurs. Single malt & single cask from all around the world. Nice cigar collection too. The staff are super-efficient & friendly. A must, if you are visiting Penang. Pricy, but worth every penny.

4 Thank PenangNathan
Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

It was a perfect night stay at the Macalister Mansion. Check in staff were extremely helpful and very professional. Lunch at the cafe was a delightful start to our stay and after a walk round the grounds of MM. The swimming pool is a spectacular addition. The menu at the cafe is varied and was wonderfully executed. As soon as you walk in the room, it took our breath away. A lot of oooh's and aaah's. Lovely little surprises and personal touches to be discovered. Everything from the bed to the bathroom and sitting room was simply beautiful and superbly thought off. Nothing was spared and we did not want for anything more. I have travelled vastly but never have I come across personalised stationary. Such a lovely welcome to MM. We were reluctant to leave our room but the spectacular decor and comfort of the whiskey den was enticing us. Fabulous experience at the whiskey den. Service was impeccable and very knowledgable. If one likes to dress up then dinner at MM is the place to do it. The grandeur of the dining room is best enjoyed with the tasting menu as it is a superb lingering experience. Food and service is of a very high standard accompanied by a good selection of wines. Back to the room to change and party the night away at Bagan Bar with very tasty cocktails and hip bar tenders. Staff are friendly and eager to encourage people to dance. Breakfast was included which was of a great variety and substantial after a big night out. The hangover juice was much needed. MM is definately a must visit to stay for all. The location is convenient and very near to the heritage sights in the city. My advice is to stay for more than one night to enjoy the special touches and comfort of MM. You will not want to leave.

Room Tip: I have been in the twin bedded room and a king size room. Both were of exquisite decor and furnishi...
3 Thank PennyannMalaysia
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Macalister Mansion - What a wonderful experience! Everything under one roof!
Staffs are friendly and helpful. The check-in process was a breeze, while we sat and enjoyed our tasty welcome drink. Once I stepped into Room 4, it was hard to leave the room! After a few hours of lazing around the room, I decided to have a dip in the pool. Great choice, as I had the pool all to myself and it felt like my own mansion with a private pool. Even if there were other guests around, it would not have been crowded at all as MM only has 8 rooms. I simply loved the privacy.
Dinner time! The tasting menu is a must have! Exquisute!
If you are up for some music or dancing, Bagan Bar is just right next to the dining. For some quiet chit chat over coffee, the cafe is round the corner too! Oh and not forgetting the whiskey bar! There is a pool table as well at the cafe. Take your pick!
Every little corner and room in Macalister Mansion is designed to its perfection. Attention to details and little touches here and there makes it ever so special.
2 thumbs up for this beautiful establishment! Suggestions for improvement would be the sound from the car park. Conversations late at night from customers leaving Bagan could be heard. The car park music which comes on at 8am woke me up the next morning, but I continued to laze on the comfy bed, surrounded by pillows.
I will be back again and it would be for a longer stay! A perfect getaway in my hometown!

Room Tip: Room 4! However, check out the various designs and pick your favourite out of 8 special rooms!
2 Thank MolaGirl