“Nice to try their Malaysia style vegetarian meal!! Yummy Yummy” 5 of 5 bubbles

Zhu Yuan Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #249 of 870 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice to try their Malaysia style vegetarian meal!! Yummy Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Love to eat there, coz they run a family style restaurant, food are tasty, Malaysia style, not oily... ! I stayed in Penang only 4 night, but I hv 3 meals there.
One for dinner, one for lunch and one for taking away.

If you wanna try something Malaysia style vegetarian food, MUST Try Zhu Yuan Vegetarian Restaurant! Brown Sugar soya milk also is my highly recommend!! Very fresh and healthy taste!

** Boss Mr Wang and his family are very nice!!!

Hope can go to eat soon!!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Carumen Kfm J

Penang Island, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expensive restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Went there on CNY 2014 and order 5 dishes, for vegetarian food this place can be consider expensive for Penangites. Broccoli with few pieces of mushroom cost RM38, average price for other dishes will cost from RM 25 onwards. Definitely this is the first and last time I shall patronizing.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rocktheboat1888
San Francisco, California
“Superb veggie food, really friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Admittedly I would never have known about this place until Amelleia at Soohongry suggested it to me after I told her I was vegetarian. Tourists usually don't come here and it's mostly a locals spot, but the staff is very accommodating and pleasant to visitors. I went here twice during my stay in George Town and my waiter spoke English very well, was extremely friendly, and was very helpful in explaining the menu and the daily specials.

All the food and drink I had here was very good, but the satay is seriously one of the most delicious foods I've ever had. Ever! Get the satay!

One note of caution: not all of the menu items are vegetarian, as some have seafood or even chicken. If in doubt, just ask.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Kyle G
Singapore
“Penang Vegetarian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We walked into this restaurant not knowing what to expect. Before going in, we'd read some reviews but were still very unsure.

This is a small family business. Coming from Singapore, we wanted very much to try vegetarian style authentic Penang laksa. Zhu Yuan was the 1st restaurant in Penang that we walked into on arrival in Panang. Immediately we ordered Penang laksa once seated. Unfortunately, the boss, a kindly lady told us that Penang laksa is served only on Fridays and Saturdays. Imagine our disappointment. She then recommended a few local dishes which we happily tried. Mid way into our lunch, she said, "Come back tomorrow and I'll cook Penang Laksa for you". My sister and I looked at each other and agreed without hesitation. Then we realised that "tomorrow" was Thursday and we reminded the kindly boss that it was Thursday. She said, "Never mind, I'll cook for you. Specially for you.". We were over the hill with joy.

True to her words, the kindly lady boss had cooked Penang laksa for us. The family went out of their way to get the dish ready for us given that it was a public/bank holiday and ingredients were hard to source. That bowl of laksa blew our minds away. It was THE most delicious bowl of laksa we'd ever tasted. The noodles were smooth and of the correct texture. The gravy was minty and the tastes of spice, sweetness and sourness blended in perfectly. We went to Zhu Yuan 2 days in a row consecutively just for the food, the hospitality and the friendliness of the folks in the restaurant.

We also tried the other dishes served and they were really good. Nothing to complain about. Excellent value for money and most excellent food. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Audi76
Singapore
“Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very standard menu. Well prepared.

The restaurant is to the north-east of Komtar, just of the corner of Prangin Mall.

Visited July 2013