“Beautiful heritage hotel, but major noise issues”

Cintra Heritage House
Ranked #35 of 170 George Town B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Beautiful heritage hotel, but major noise issues”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a tough review to write. I really wanted to like this place, as I will be back in Georgetown in a week and didn't want to have to look for new accommodation.
The building is beautiful, well-restored and with modern upgrades (bathrooms, AC, etc). Breakfast is more than you usually get, and I like that you can refill your water bottle in the restaurant. Wifi works well. Pretty good location. I love the wooden floors and I love the look of the wooden shutters.
But it is these wooden shutters that cause the noise problem. My room, open to the central courtyard, escapes the traffic noise, although I do hear the call to prayer from the nearby mosque (which is lovely and not disturbing). But during the night I can hear every conversation in the hallways and this morning i was awoken by the reception phone ringing at 7:15 am. It rang 3 separate times, once I counted for 30 rings. It was not answered. I'm sure it woke up everyone in the building (except any staff member who was in duty).
The other problem is that the hotel allows smoking in the hallways, and the smoke gets sucked into your room through the wooden blinds. It was so smoky in my room this morning I was worried that the staff would accuse me of smoking in there!
If the windows could be sealed with double-paned glass, and if it became a nonsmoking hotel, I'd be back.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank A-Nomadic-Canadian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I had a great time at Cintra house. The staff is fantastic and my room while small was very comfortable and an oasis from the heat during the afternoons. The hotel is an excellent renovation of a Chinese home at the turn if the century with wooden shutters so their is some noise at times but the charm of the house more than compensated! I would definitely stay again and wish I could have stayed longer.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Basic guesthouse with friendly staff, in a good location. You're about a 10 minute walk from everywhere in the city you'd want to see. Free wifi in rooms was appreciated.

We looked at a few rooms before we chose our room for the night. One of them was facing a very busy road and would have been difficult to sleep in. It was difficult sleeping in our room for a different reason; we were at the back of the building nearest to the mosque (which must have been next door or very nearby). It was a holy day, so there were calls to prayers almost every half hour in the early hours of the morning. I'm assuming the noise wouldn't normally be that bad at the back of the hotel though.

Note to any unmarried Muslim couples - the hotel will not allow you to share a room (local law I believe). Unmarried non Muslim couples are ok to share a room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The location near the UNESCO world heritage zone and abutting Chinatown is a mixed blessing. The good points: step outside and you have some amazing street food within a 2 minute walk. I enjoyed eating at the hawker stands and having a beer at one of the many cafes. The bad: noise, noise, noise. Beyond the fact that Penang is full of motorbikes, the hotel seems to be on the nightly racing circuit for teenagers that like to modify their bikes. In addition, the hotel is limited by historical zoning and the rooms at the front do not have glass windows — only louvered shutters. This looks quaint but makes for an impossible sleeping situation. I slept with earplugs and when a room became available at the back of the hotel the staff was nice enough to let me move. But Penang can be noisy (I mean exciting) and even at the back of the hotel the single paned windows made earplugs advisable.

The hotel is quite clean and I found the open courtyard very beautiful. The common areas of the hotel can be very very hot (hotter than outside?) but the air-con in the rooms works very well. The breakfast is good if you get the nasi lemak.

The staff were friendly and spoke English, but overall the hotel did not feel well organized ( I believe the hotel was recently opened). They will pick you up at the airport for a fee and that's probably a wise choice if it's your first time in Penang or Malaysia.

Given the noise issues (which I know they are trying to resolve), I think it is a bit over-priced.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back, away from the street, are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Worst place in Penang! We had called and booked a room with king size bed and had indicated the check in time. But by the time we checked in, our room had been given to another guest who complained about their room being very noisy. Therefore we had no choice but to take the only other available room. This is a budget hotel but charges a 3-star rate. There is no TV in the room, no proper mirror only small ones, and lousy unusable furnitures. No proper windows, the wooden windows had holes in them hence it does not filter noise and invites mosquitoes. Toilet was not very clean, no separate shower area therefore each time you shower the bathroom gets thoroughly wet! Saw a few baby cockroaches crawling about in the bathroom. Bath towels were not clean. We went out for dinner and when we came back around midnight, they had locked the main door, had to ring the bell to get someone to let us in, the staff on duty (believe she's the manager) was showing a sour and sulky face! On top of it the room was very, very noisy throughout day an night but was more apparent at night that we didn't get any sleep at all. From inside the room, every sound of vehicle passing and people talking could be heard very very clearly. As we were checking out, the staff did not bother to collect the room key from us (because we had made full payment upon arriving the day before) even after ringing the bell no one showed up! Overall it was a terrible experience and would not recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: our room was upstairs facing the road. Not sure about other rooms but it is better to avoid this pla...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank M30_MOLLY
Melbourne
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I recently stayed here for four nights. When we arrived the lady at reception did not great us and there was a feeling as though we were annoying her when we had only asked to check in. We returned to reception to ask if their was anywhere she would recommend for us to eat and she pointed in every direction saying anywhere. Not really helpful for someone who has just arrived and it turned out most places were shut as it was 3:30pm the one place we found didn't have anyone that spoke English so didn't serve us.

The hotel itself is very beautiful with the wooden floor boards and framing. The room had a wet bathroom that functioned well and good air-conditioning. The room was not cleaned for the time we were there. The breakfast was very western so after the first morning we decided to just go else where for breakfast for more local cuisine. The coffee and tea were not fresh, just sitting in a pot brewing until they were much too strong.

The location is the best thing about this hotel it is an easy walk to anything in the heritage part of georgetown and lots of buses around to get out of georgetown. However the central location does make it noisy at night.

I would probably not stay here again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Cintra Heritage House was just perfect for us - straight out the door into the streets of Georgetown, with all of the UNESCO World Heritage zone being within easy walking distance.
This is a beautiful old building and if you are in Georgetown because of its world heritage ranking then this is one way to experience the history.
We stayed here for 10 nights, for which we were given a substantial discount.
The price includes a simple breakfast and Wi-Fi.
The room was clean and comfortable. It had a fan, air conditioning, two lounge chairs and a coffee table, dressing table, a wardrobe and a queen size bed. There was an ensuite with shower, toilet and wash basin.
The room was cleaned on the days that we hung the "please clean our room" sign on the door and not cleaned on the days that we didn't. This system was fine by us - we had no need for clean towels every day and we were happy to make the bed ourselves.
If you are staying upstairs you are required to leave your shoes downstairs. There are lovely timber floors upstairs.
Downstairs are a couple of areas to sit and relax, a bar area and a dining area. The dining area has a TV. Upstairs there is a recreation room with seats and a table.
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
We are a couple in our 50s. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple