All reviewsinner courtyardchulia streetwooden shuttersvip suiteelectrical outletsstreet noisewithin walking distancebeautiful old buildinglittle indiaenjoyed my staythe ground floorwould definitely stay here againan extra bedstayed for one nightold stylefresh fruitpenang food
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed in Cintra Heritage House for 4 nights in November and would probably say this is the nicest hotel I stayed in in Malaysia during my 2 week visit.

Upon arriving, the hotel was fairly easy to find. It is in a great location for exploring the city on foot, in a street just off Chulia street (the main artery running through Georgetown). There are many good food options nearby, including a tiny restaurant on the same street frequented by locals and serving delicious chicken & rice. I had no problems with noise from the road, though I guess this was due to being fortunate enough to have been allocated a room at the back of the building with a courtyard window. There was daily moderate noise from a nearby mosque, though this was brief and didn't disturb me at all.

I stayed in a single room, which was a decent size with en suite attached. I love how the hotel has been restored in the traditional colonial style. The rooms are located on the top level around the central courtyard area, which too is beautiful, especially at night with the candles lighting the area. The air con in the room was excellent and quiet and the room was cleaned and the bed made each day.

The reception staff made me feel very welcome and went out of their way to greet me each time I returned to the hotel. I felt as though they genuinely cared how my day had been, which is rare in hotels these days. They also arranged my Thai visa which was appreciated, as I didn't have to waste time visiting the embassy in person. The only minor point to note was that if you want to leave before around 8am, you will need to find a member of staff to open the front door as it will still be locked and reception will be unattended. Not a problem though.

All in all, a fantastic place to stay in a great, vibrant city.

Room Tip: If possible request a room that does not face the street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jackie M
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night in the family ensuite with 1 queen + 1 single bed. Room is equipped with a/c & fan. Bathroom is clean. Room is pretty spacious. However, the room we were in (room 201) faces the street. It was very noisy even at night with cars & motorcycles passing. There isn't glass windows to block out the noise, windows are made of wood panel. We can hear clearly the sounds of vehicles passing. The wooden window may block the light but definitely not the noise. Suggest the property owner do something to block the noise. I find the room rates are over priced. There are other better accommodation available. The Internet too keeps disconnecting and we were unable to re-connect it back. Nevertheless, the location is pretty good to explore the area on foot.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights when we visited Penang in December 2012.

I'm putting the downside first because there is currently only one review here even mentioning it: The rooms do not have glass windows but only wooden shades separating them from the outside. While this might not present a problem for backwards facing rooms (again, there is only one review on Trip Advisor mentioning noise), it is a disaster for rooms facing towards the road. Imagine motorcycles and trucks driving directly by your bed, honking from very early morning till late - It is virtually impossible to get a good nights sleep without decent ear plugs.

This was a major problem for us. The earplugs we had brought were too large for my girlfriend's ears and she could barely sleep for three nights. We tried to change rooms but unfortunately the place was fully booked. The noise level is the reason we give only two points. If you can live with this or want to try a room not facing the road, you might be quite satisfied with this hotel.

The hotel is located in Lebuh Cintra in the middle of Georgetown and it's very easy to walk the city from there. Plenty of restaurants are nearby and two supermarkets within 5 minutes walk. A laundry service is just around the corner. ATMs are somewhat far so stock up on Cash at the Airport or expect a 15-20 minutes walk.

Staff was friendly, efficient and always ready to help with every question we had.

Rooms were air-conditioned, reasonably spacious with large bed, not too hard mattress. Water pressure in the shower was way better than what you would expect from most mid-range places in South East Asia, just the temperature was somewhat random on one day. There was no TV in the room.

Room Tip: By all means, insist on a room not facing towards the road
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SandmannX
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Cintra and it was very nice, you have a lovely court inside where you take your breakfast.
There is no TV in the room but we weren't in Penang for the TV....
Staff very helpfull, very good location also.
Highly recommanded!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here last week and I found 3 things that made me wish I was at another hotel. One was the fact that our room was right next to the road and therefore we could hear every vehicle that passed by in the 2 nights that we were there. Secondly, there was not a TV in the room. For those who do not mind this, then maybe its ok, but for the price we paid, we expected at least a small tv to numb the noise from the motorbikes/cars/trucks passing by. Thirdly, breakfast starts at 8am which is late by our standards. One good thing is that the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Please don't choose Room 203 (twin room).
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends