“The best ice cream gula melaka” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of China House

China House
Ranked #2 of 33 Dessert in George Town
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Drinks, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“The best ice cream gula melaka”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place pops up a few times in several magazines i read so we decided to give it a try.

It was not that busy when we were there, the place has several rooms and sections with very interesting arts. Quirky and fun.

Cakes in vast options, drinks and all sorts. You would find something (or several things) to your liking. In my case, its the gula melaka ice cream. I finished it all. It was the right consistency and just nicely sweetened by the gula melaka. Love it.

This place is inside the Heritage area so there is a lot to see and do. Its handy when you need a place to rest your feet and have a cold drink.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Half - half”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Now.. the place is superb..! Love the decoration, layout and its different sections...
Had cakes and was kinda disappointed as it was way too sweet for our liking.... however the range of desert is great...and the size is good as well....
The staff perhaps was too busy that night that ur order was delayed...
Will i go again ? yes, for the atmosphere and No, I wont order the desert this time.
My friend loved the live performance as well...

George Town, Malaysia
“Horrible terrible service. Especially the indian (Slightly on the big size) lady at the cash register.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I used to be a regular at chinahouse. And yes, i'm local. I have always loved the cakes there and i think the ambience is just great and setting, eccentric.

BUT...

The service here really overshadows every goodness that Chinahouse has to offer. Two experiences have really dampen every desire to re-visit that place ever again.

First experience was when i wanted to take-away my cake. The indian lady at the cash register who knew who i was (i was a regular) said that i always eat-in. Well, i plan to stay on at the canteen to watch my favourite band play but have no intention on eating my cake. Yet, she insisted that i eat in and pay the extra 2ringgit. I would have paid the extra 2ringgit, but the way she talked made my blood boil. You could have had blood stew that night for dinner, i would have served it to you right from my veins. Gore aside, i stood firm with my decision and said i wanted to take away. She gave me the most hideous looking sour face the customer service world has ever seen.

If i was bold enough, i would raise both my hands in surrender and shouted 'i give up' but i still wanted my cake and didn't wanted it to be poisoned. Sorry paranoia.

I then walked into the canteen part and she freaking followed me! Whoa, i didn't know there was chinahouse policing as part of their service until that day. really?! Well, she hung around for 10 minutes waiting and waiting. Wow, they also provided in-house team building games as part of their services. The game of the night was i-spy-with-my-little-eye. I was excited! Not.

My second experience also involved that very same obnoxious lady. Actually i don't know if she was indian or malay. Doesn't matter. Anyway, i paid for my cake to take it to the canteen. I decided i will be nice and pay the eat-in 2ringgit this time but also because i wanted to eat it there. I was being legit all this while. I paid and stood there for 5 minutes. Just standing there. I was hoping she was playing another one of those in-house team building games they offered like who-can-stand-the-longest game but noooooooo. I then spoke nicely and asked her again if i could get my slice of cake (note, i already paid).

then the unthinkable happened....

She raised her voice and told me to go and ask the waiters/waitresses myself to cut the cake for me!!|

I was lost for words. I did not believe it at first when my friends told me that their service sucks. But now... now that i have become the victim, i am gonna miss my cake because i aint stepping into that mess of a person ever again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lynixious
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“something not quite right”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

after some favourable reviews about the place, i decided to check it out. the refurbishment work does not seem in accordance with UNESCO's standard, decor is quite modern and functional. but for me, its neither here nor there.

they have a good western cake selection, but otherwise, nothing to rave about. it is developing a reputation as the place to be seen, but personally, it does seem to me overly functional and commercial, and without the rustic charm i associate penang with.

• Visited June 2013
Penang, Malaysia
“Too cool to be polite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have always enjoyed my visits to Chinahouse. I have been frequenting the place even before it moved to the current location. Love the selection of cakes and warmth and friendliness of the owner, Narelle who has done a fantastic job with Chinahouse.
I went to Chinahouse for a Sunday breakfast today as I enjoy their Big breakfast. We were "greeted" by surly looking staff. I guess nobody like to work on a Sunday morning but they could have at least pretended. That certainly put a damper on our good weekend mood.We were attended to by a tall Caucasian girl.
After taking our orders, she was wiping the windows with newspaper and she picked a straw for our drinks without washing her hands. I guess they have different hygiene standards from where she comes from or she may have thought the "natives" in Malaysia do not mind. Does she even have a work permit for Malaysia or I guess she's probably 'helping out"? It would be nice if sugar was provided with the coffee without having to ask.
The fat Malay girl behind the bar was so unpleasant with her surliness that when we asked for water, she said self serve and to take it ourselves.
I guess the staff think they are cool but their arrogant attitude but there is a fine line between cool and down right obnoxious. Obviously Narelle's warmth and friendliness has not rubbed of on them or she's not paying them enough.
As for the big breakfast (RM32), I enjoyed my previous orders but todays was a a big let down and I did not even finish it. There is a difference between cooked and burnt and today's lamb sausage and meat patty was so dry and charred. the cook obviously was not up to scratch today.
anyway I will still visit the place in the hope the service standard will improve.

Visited August 2013