“First time in Penang”
Review of Noordin Mews

Noordin Mews
Ranked #3 of 177 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A couple in our fifties and having travelled a a fair bit in the world and having stayed all types of Hotels, lodges,resorts and guest houses, we found this boutique hotel an absolute amazing experience.
From front office Reception all the way to the rooms and surroundings were awesome.
Location was perfect as it was easy to get to most interesting places via public transport and cabs.
The staff were always friendly (especially Jason),,and ready to assist and help to answer any questions.
After wandering around Penang on hot and humid days, it was a relief to be welcomed back with a cold glass of water.
Next time we are in Penang we will definetely stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was definitely our favorite hotel during our three-week trip to Asia. The staff was so nice and the room was comfortable and tastefully decorated. The hotel is located on the edge of the historic part of town, so it's a little bit of a walk to some of the sights, but we didn't mind. My husband and I loved hanging out by the pool with the other guests. It was so relaxing after a busy day of sightseeing. Again, I can't say enough about the helpful staff; their recommendations for area restaurants were spot on.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We are two young professionals in our mid twenties.The location of this place was awesome. It was next to the major bus station where you can catch local buses as well as free shuttles. We were also only a stone's throw from the ferry. Although we arrived to early to check in the staff was very accommodating. The breakfast was so good too! The service we experienced here is one that rivals a five star standard hotel. Everyone went above and beyond and we were surprised at every turn. We would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a nice stay at a place with charm and character with high class service.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I love this hotel, however the second stay was a bit strange. My friend, who I know through work, was not allowed to visit me in my room; he was made to sit downstairs like a naughty schoolboy. I think the staff thought he was a prostitute - if you ever meet my friend Benny, I think you'll realise in about 5 seconds just how ridiculous that is. Anyway, no harm done, we went out for dinner and drinks; however it made me feel like a weird sex tourist. Shame, it ruined an otherwise perfect stay. The rooms are lovely, and food is great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Noordin M, Manager at Noordin Mews, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hi Tristan,

First of all thank you for staying with us again here at Noordin Mews. Thank you very much for the wonderful review you shared.

My sincere apology if you felt that way with regards to your friend visiting you. Honesty, we do not mean that way. Our main concern is our guest security and privacy. We normally seat visitors in our living room area and inform the guest first (management procedure) with regards to their guest. I guarantee you that once you see your guest and invite them in your room, nobody will stop you.

Hi Benny, very sorry if our staff did ask you to wait in our living room area and not sending you straight up in the room. Hope you do understand that we just do want to protect our guest.

Pls be inform that the goal of the management, staff and owners of Noordin Mews is to provide a memorable experience for all of our guest. Hope to serve you another time.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Whilst not that impressed with Penang (apart from the food!) this place was absolutely fantastic. The staff were extremely professional, friendly and helpful. One of the ladies went out of her way to ensure we had a pleasant pain free journey back to KL by taking the initiative to call tour agencies on our behalf the day we were due to leave.

The rooms were clean with AC, spacious and comfortable with dashings of luxury. I loved the interior design of the rooms which I suppose were designed to reflect the colonial past of penang?? The breakfast was simple but delicious.

I would recommend their cold drinks if you happen to be sitting by the pool in the evening. Delicious!

Location wise I would say is pretty average with taxis being difficult to come by. The place can be difficult to find for the first time but once oriented its not so bad. The place is located quite close to Jalan Magazine which connects to much of the places to eat in Penang.

The only slight problem was with the WI-FI in our particular room wherein we had to migrate to a more communal area to ensure good signal for internet browsing.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

this really is the best boutique hotel in Penang/Georgetown. Staff is excellent, room is very comfortable and breakfast delicious. And they have the best suggestions for local restaurants.
Trule a home away from home !

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This beautiful hotel with warm fantastic staff is a gem to behold. I had accidentally booked the "Family" room (two poster queen size beds!) so was happily surprised when I entered to see this beautiful huge room in classy peranakan styled settings. Everything was flawless, from the huge rooms, to the fantastic service provided by the super warm and friend staff (I love Bhaby!) and a perfect turqouise lap pool to cool down at the end of exploring the area. It was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had! From the warm and thoughtful people who greet you the moment you walk into the door (they serve you refreshing cold water and towel each time you come in all hot and bothered) to the fantastically clean and beautiful rooms, quiet serenity that makes all guests feel immediately calm as they lounge by the pool. Even the few kids that were there during my stay seem to have adopted this calm and were playing happily and quietly by the pool.
It was also conveniently located in Georgetown where you are able to walk to all the famous food places. Although shopping and food is not right smack at the door step, but there are a few choice treasures like The Nyonya restaurant (just down the street) that offers good Peranakan cuisine with some culture thrown in.

We stayed for 4 days and each day we feel blessed that we made the righht choice in choosing this perfect little oasis.

Room Tip: The large suites are perfect for a family of 4 (or friends) with plenty of room to spare.