“Investigate Love Lane Inn Please.....”
Review of Love Lane Inn

Love Lane Inn
Ranked #148 of 170 George Town B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Investigate Love Lane Inn Please.....”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Hi,

I have recently stayed in Love Lane Inn and i will not be going back there again. I do not recommend any traveller to stay there...

The place is quite dirty and you can smell the sewer at certain places of the Inn..

Most obnoxious of all is the man Jimmy who is the owner of the Inn...
He does not smile and is always moody...

He seems to get angry when me and my friends went to purchase bus tickets from another hostel...
I mean , don't I have the right to spend MY money where ever I want?...

I heard that this guy does not have a valid business license to operate the place.
If he does not have a valid license to operate that place then I am not sure if safety standards are observed there... (ie. in case of fire or hygiene standards.. )

Furthermore, people have told me that he doesn't even have a work permit to run that hostel!
He is not a Malaysian and he is in Malaysia on a tourist visa. He has to do visa runs like everyone else.

And yet he is running a business illegally in Malaysia.

That is why sometimes you see him entertaining police officers on his premise by giving them free drinks and all so that his business will not be interrupted...

I think this man is dangerous. His name should be removed from all travel guides and someone should make an official complain to the Malaysian Government of this man and his illegal business...

I hope tripadvisor will look into this matter as I think it is serious.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank paul_wilson_09

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bristol
Reviewed June 27, 2010

The owner is a very rude man. I can't believe anyone running a business can afford behaving like that. I have spend there one night, bitten by bed bugs, and felt not welcomed in general. We didn't have any big issues, just small remarks the owner made that made us feel uncomfortable. It regarded the wireless internet that is offered in the guesthouse, but when you check in they don't mention it is working only between 9 am till11 pm. After one night we moved to Star Lodge just few steps away, which is cheaper, has cooler rooms, and bathroom inside as compared to the Love Lane Inn which has only shared bathroom rooms. There is so many other hostels on Love lane that really please save yourself problems and don't stay at Love Lane.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evonka

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 22, 2010

My first impression was great, the hostel was suggested to me by a friend I had been traveling with. But after the first night I had bed bug bites. they kindly moved me to another room which was fine. Bed bugs are a part of traveling and I didn't care how they got there but that i would like a new room. But the next night when I still had bites I told the manager and they publicly austrisized me for it. I understand that it can be both the hostel and the travelers that bring in bed bugs but in the past 2 weeks of traveling I had not been bitten by anything. There is always a possibility that my rucksac was carrying the pest but the behavior of the staff going around from each room to room asking if they had had bugs and letting them know that the girl from room 6 was the once complaining was too much. They kicked me out the next day.
I dont recommend this hostel not because of the bed bugs. Those are a fact of life but the behavior by the staff to publicly hang me for something like this that might be their issue not mine was shameful. No person owning a business should treat customers like that.

Thanks. Chey

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Cheyenne B
Paris, France
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Judging the many emails and letters pasted on the wall on the 1st floor, people seemed to love this place, but after staying in quite a few different places in Malaysia we were surprised at the stinginess and paranoia of this place. I guess some travellers don't behave well, but it felt weird to be paying deposits for A/C control and towel. Also first place we had to pay to use towel.
We paid 60 ringgit a night for double room with A/C and shared toilet/shower. There's WI-FI, but only from 9am-11pm. ONE tea or coffee is permitted in the morning, more than one you must pay. No black coffee, so if you like it black bring your own - or go round the corner to the beautiful but very expensive café round the corner for a morning treat. There's also a fridge stacked with beers etc but it's cheaper and much mire atmospheric to go to the clandestine Chinese bar on Stewart lane, cheapest drinks in Georgetown.

Fantastic Love Lane location but we did look longingly at 'Old Penang' which is a bit further down, it looked lovely.

Oh and the bed was terrible! Worst I've ever slept in! Not one for light sleepers, the walls were paper thin and street noise too.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Singpaore
Reviewed April 28, 2010

I had booked my room online but the lady at t reception asked me to pay the full money even though I had paid a small part of it while reserving. When i checked into the room the aircon didn't work. after changing many rooms finally things were ok. They charged extra for towels and they were dirty.

When I returned at night, they owner started yelling at me for having checked into a different room although I had no idea what was going on. He screamed and asked us to shift the room again. They had already shifted my luggage without my permission. I was very pissed off but decided to not argue since it was quite late and I was checking out the next day anyway.

I highly recommend you don't stay here. Its a scam!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I have read mixed reviews about this hostel. Some people seem to like it, but I did not.

It felt grubby and claustrophobic, more so than other hostels I have stayed at, albeit I have only stayed at a few to date. I realise that cleanliness and space are relative to peoples’ other hostel experiences and hence note for fairness that (to my suprise) I overhead another guest describe the hostel as “really clean”.

There was only one Western toilet and one squat toilet, 2 (cold) showers and one sink for all to share. Hand washing of clothes had to be done using a bucket and hose, down an unpleasant side alley that smelled of drains.

The owner and staff had their moments of being helpful and friendly, but for the most part I found them unapproachable, disinterested, and even off-hand. Having said this, other guests seemed to get along pretty well with them so perhaps they are just “characters” that take some getting used to.

At some time in the past someone had clearly taken a lot of trouble to make the place look nice – painting murals on the wall, and painting the rooms in different pastel colours. However, I believe that a re-paint was overdue and the dirty, flaking paintwork added to the general feeling of uncleanliness.

On the plus side, our double room (no plug socket) was very cheap (RM25), we had free wifi, and the location was good – within easy walking distance of Chinatown, Little India and mainline bus stops.

We stayed for 4 nights partly because the room was so cheap and partly because we didn’t think it was bad enough to justify the time and effort to look for, and move to, another hostel. However, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed September 27, 2009

This was our first stop in Malaysia and overall it was welcoming and comfortable. As posted by other contributors, Jimmy, the owner and guru of the place, is very committed and incredible willing to give advice and recommendations. But our stay wasn't without issue and I would feel hard pushed to say this was a great budget guesthouse.

Rooms started at 20RM (4 pound), but these were box rooms with no real window, uncomfortable beds, no other furniture and right beside reception (noisy). Plus, when we were there these rooms seemed to be reserved for family. The other options were dormbeds for 12RM a person (around 10 beds in the room, on the front of the building, noisy), smaller dorm rooms with 3 or 4 beds in bunks, which could be hired privately for for 30RM for two sharing, 40RM for 3 or 50RM for 4 (all with fan only, window opening on to corridor, VERY hot and stuffy). Or you can get one of the two double rooms at the top of the building, which were quieter and a little cooler - 35RM.

The bed bugs mentioned by other contributors continue to be a problem.

All rooms are shared bath and for all the guests on the first and second floor, and for Jimmy and his whole family, there was only one toilet and one shower! That's potentially 30+ people queuing for the toilet in the morning!

TV downstairs can be viewed quietly until midnight and internet is free for half an hour or so, or unlimited for WIFI users (though Jimmy will turn off the modem at 11pm unless asked otherwise). The main positives for us were the central location, the lovely family members (5 year old Dimas will be the next owner surely), and the lovely murals on the walls.

But I must say we left feeling a little pissed off with Jimmy - he seems to get peeved at you booking anything through anyone else (tickets, ferries, bikes etc) and yet when we booked our onward travel through him, albeit at the last moment, he failed to go to the office in time and we didn't get our tickets! Rather than help us find an alternative route (to Langkawi - which I will post about separately) Jimmy tried to tell us it was impossible to get there any other way and we'd better book another night at Love Lane. Well we didn't and sure enough it was easy and cheap to get the bus, and I'm afraid to say that as a result of this we will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple