Love Lane Inn
$70
$145
$125
Hotels.com
G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
$145
$113
$113
$90
$54
$52
Hotels.com
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
$133
$108
Agoda.com
$68
$46
$93
$90
Priceline
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
$39
$34
Agoda.com
All reviewschulia streetbackpackersvisaluxuryheritage
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed this guest house for 2 nights,and I lost all of my cash just when I put my bag in the bed and went for shower for just 10 mins!!!!You have to know that,I just quited my job,started my trip for half an month,and the cash means almost everything to me,coz I didn't have any money in the bank!
the horrible part was the owner of the guest house didnt give a word to it,even worse he said shamelessly"Why you didn't put your money in the locker?""if u want to call police,then call,i dont care""why u telling me u lost money,it's not my fault"(ok,even it's not your fault,do u have to act like this??)
You have to know that,before me,there's many many backpackers lost money here!
The dorm I stayed didn't even have a door!the day I lost money,the other 2 roommates lost too!and the nite I arrived,police just came by for a stolen issue!So maybe it's a thieves inn we don't know,coz too many guests lost money here!
Also,the toilet were very dirty,I saw worms in it,and I never stepped in the toilet anymore!And here's only two toilets with at least 10 rooms!!
And the wifi will turn off at 11pm every night!that means either u went to a bar or restrorant,or sleep damn early in the dorm without a door.
Sorry,but I have to say,,this is the worst guest house I ever saw!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Danny19992035
Reviewed October 2, 2012

cheap rooms with fun are small and don't have power plug on wall. Shower on 1st floor is dirty and old. And showers don't have hot water. Boss is unfrieandly. Untill you don't book tickets from him he may dont't like you and treat you badly. Very strange person. This place have many cheap hostels with better conditions and very friendly stuff. Internet not worked for me maybe to slow. I would recomend opposite love line big hostel with bar pool table etc.

Room Tip: second floor rooms better but more expensive
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JhonDDD
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed here for one night as it was the only place with an available room during Ramadan celebrations.
The staff were friendly enough but the room was very basic with fan instead of air con, only a squat toilet and a less than basic shower. My biggest complaint is the smell especially the bed and bedding (thankfully I had my own). I was kept awake most of the night because the smell was so bad and checked out as soon as possible.
Yes it's cheap but having travelled throughout most of southeast Asia, I assure you there are places out there at the same price that are beautiful.
This is a last resort!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Elphie20
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed in a private room and it was very clean but basic. The rooms are equipped with a ventilator but no air conditioning. The bed was comfortable. If you want extra sheets or towels you have to pay for them. There's a wifi connection and a computer for hostel guests but they shut everything off at 11 pm. You can have one free cup of coffee or tea a day.
Staff was friendly. Jimmy the boss has set up some strict rules but as long as you obey to his rules you won't have any problem. If you prefer some more freedom stay somewhere else.
Jimmy can help you to get a visa for various purposes and countries. He can also arrange bus tickets to various destinations but you might find better rates at the travel agencies in town.
The hostel is close to the historic town centre an there are many hawker stalls within walking distance from the hotel. It's a 15 minute walk from the ferry terminal and also 15 minutes from the Komtar bus station. Many local buses stop in the surrounding streets.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dutchman1977
Reviewed July 22, 2012

i stayed here for around 5 nights. it's cheap, and clean, and the owners/staff are friendly. there are lots of good restaurants nearby in little india.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo