“penang version of fawlty towers” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Love Lane Inn

Love Lane Inn
Ranked #148 of 170 George Town B&B and Inns
George Town, Malaysia
“penang version of fawlty towers”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

on my check in day I was witness to the charm of Jimmy and his wife: they both started shouting at a customer who'd forgotten to replace one of the cheapest disposable pens to the reception desk after writing a postcard to his friends telling them what a wonderful place penang is and how the locals are so friendly, WI-FI is turned off 11;00 pm sharp, if you stay in the dorm you pay 5 ringit for WI-FI but there's no electric sockets, i could go on and on

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jaguartree

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

I won't waste much more of my time on this place... but please hear the warning....

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Hundred's of BED BUG's in all the Rooms, the place is dirty, Mr Jimmy is rude and couldn't care less that his place is a hole, if he get's one night of money off you thats all he care's about...

all service's he offer's are well over priced, and his staff just rolled there eye's when we informed them of the hundred's of BED BUG's, no offer to recify the situation or clean our contaminated backpacks...

IN SUMMERY PLEASE AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mattheww8454

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Stay away from this place the bed bugs are horrific and they dont give a dam about them. We slept in the hall way as the beds were awful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank slaphead100
Penang
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

First of all, we were at Love Lane Inn twice.
First time we were there, the owner Jimmy, (short guy with long white hair) was at the counter. We asked for the price and he was definitely not friendly at all. So we left.
Surprisingly for the low season, most of the other guesthouses were full. Star lodge down the road was nice but full. Old Penang was also full at that time.
Cathay Hotel and the odd hotels with "Chinese Names" are all dodgy. They usually offer "short time" rooms for prostitutes. We got a shock when we walked into one, where there were like one girl on each room. We got out of there in a hurry!

We had to go back to Love Lane Inn. This time it was a lady in the front desk. She was as grumpy as Jimmy. So we assume she is his wife!
We asked to view the room. She kept showing us the pictures of the rooms. But we wanted to see the room first before we checked in.
After persisting to be shown the room. She didnt like it one bit. And finally said to us, "You see picture of room. You want then only i show you".
We were forced to get the room. It was really basic.
And she threw in an extra mattress for one of our friend. Charged us RM 20 for it.
20 minutes in to our sleep, we began itching! I tell you how much i hate bed bugs! These are the big fat ones! Damn it. And we couldnt find the owner at night. Ended up going for drinks at Soho Club till late. Complained to the owner but he seemed like he didnt care.
Please be warned!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RoomiesManagement
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2010

We arrived in Penang late in the afternoon and wanted to find a place quickly. Unfortunately we had not looked on TA for recommendations before we arrived which was a big mistake. After seeing some not so nice places we were feeling pretty weary and when we reached the Love Lane Inn where just desperate for a bed.

On first appearances the room was very basic (no A/C) but it was very cheap so we thought we could stick it for one night. The next morning we woke up to find bite marks and were very concerned. We had a look on TA and saw the previous posts of people bitten by bed bugs. We checked out the next day and both of us couldn't get away from the place quick enough.

This is not a comfortable place to stay. There is a bad odour coming from the drains and the toilets are dismal. They show no trust in their guests as you have to ask for the remote for the TV to change the channel. They also turn off the WIFI at 11pm?????

There are nicer places to stay in Penang so have a look around and even better don't spend much time in Penang. Go to Langkawi as this was our favourite place in Malaysia

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_with_Tina
Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

I stayed next door to the Love Lane Inn and upon asking a Chinese guest to join us for a drink, I was confronted by the owner, who interupted, asking "Can I help you?" in an aggressive manner. The next day , the aformentioned guest and I had a date to visit some attractions together and so I asked the woman at the desk if my acquaintance was awake or not. Her reception was distinctly unwelcoming and rude. Add to this two other incidents involving a Chinese traveller who almost had a fist fight with the owner and an argument involving the owner and European tourists and I think it can be safely said that there are some "issues" here.

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Ovation17
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

Hi,

I have recently stayed in Love Lane Inn and i will not be going back there again. I do not recommend any traveller to stay there...

The place is quite dirty and you can smell the sewer at certain places of the Inn..

Most obnoxious of all is the man Jimmy who is the owner of the Inn...
He does not smile and is always moody...

He seems to get angry when me and my friends went to purchase bus tickets from another hostel...
I mean , don't I have the right to spend MY money where ever I want?...

I heard that this guy does not have a valid business license to operate the place.
If he does not have a valid license to operate that place then I am not sure if safety standards are observed there... (ie. in case of fire or hygiene standards.. )

Furthermore, people have told me that he doesn't even have a work permit to run that hostel!
He is not a Malaysian and he is in Malaysia on a tourist visa. He has to do visa runs like everyone else.

And yet he is running a business illegally in Malaysia.

That is why sometimes you see him entertaining police officers on his premise by giving them free drinks and all so that his business will not be interrupted...

I think this man is dangerous. His name should be removed from all travel guides and someone should make an official complain to the Malaysian Government of this man and his illegal business...

I hope tripadvisor will look into this matter as I think it is serious.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends