“Great Location for easy transfer!”

Hotel Sentral Georgetown
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Singapore
“Great Location for easy transfer!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We arrived around 9 am but our check-in was at 2 pm. The hotel staff accepted us to leave our bags but unfortunately were not allowed to have our breakfast at their cafe. The room was quite comfortable with ample space, a tv and quite a decent bathroom (heater with pump!!). The breakfast was ok, not awesome. No options other than bread toast, cornflakes and salads for vegetarians.
The location was excellent. Quiet near to KOMTAR from where you can access to UNESCO sites and north-west Penang easily.
Have an evening walk on Jalan Penang, but be cautious with your belongings :)

Room Tip: The rooms on level 7 are good
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HSGeorgetown, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hotel Sentral Georgetown, responded to this review, September 14, 2013

Greetings from Hotel Sentral Georgetown.

Thank You so much for taking time to share your experiences with other Tripadvisor visitor about your recent stay with us.

Hotel Sentral Georgetown is conveniently located next to Jalan Macalister, where you can easily access to all famous local foods and the 3 shopping malls. We are also happy that you like the location of the hotel.

We hope you will be able to visit us again in not too distant future away.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Totally rip you off because i walked in off street when it was getting dark and apparently goergetown was booked out everywhere. So after a night ferry and a 12 hour bus trip and unfamiliar with goergetown i need a room. Asked the cost 238 myr including breakfast 2 people. I said im on my own. Can I not pay for breakfast. No you must pay 2 people breakfast. Ok. So i take room. No choice! Yes room nice and clean. 2 single beds. Ok so breakfast. Average. Full of chinese families rushing around like its last supper. To be honest would rather get a laksa for 3 myr. Next morning no hot water! WTF! Check out. I get invoice. Says room charge 168 myr. next line 70 myr for next day. Question lady she says room charge. Im sure the charge was for 2 breakfasts. Anyway malaysian family ask room rates next to me. They hand a flyer (WHICH I NEVER RECIEVED).it says 168 room rate for the cheapest room. Nothing u have to have breakfast. May have even included it i dont know. For that price i expect a hot shower. Complained to lady. Nothing ah well response. And group of wild dogs next door. Starting to get aggressive after 9 at night. Didnt risk walking out alone at night as there are 5 of them basically at your doorstep.WALK AROUND THE CORNER? found great friendly hotel. 100 a night as public holiday then 85. AC TV, clean, friendly, own bathroom, so helpful points me to cheap markets, food, gives maps to me, explains free shuttle buses, main road, safe, explains price of langkawi ferry so i am not ripped off. Lends me adapter to charge phone. Anything i need he can help. Small friendly hotel. Will review this hotel seperately so as to not give away where i am too other hotel as i just checked out. Short story unless your a family with no choice dont bother.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Greetings from Hotel Sentral Georgetown.

It was very disturbing to learn that your stay was unpleasant and we would like to extend our sincere apology for any inconvenience that you may have experience as a result of our service shortfalls.

Please allow us to explain further on our room rack rates. All our room rack rates comes with complimentary breakfast. We have 4 categories of room starting with Superior, Deluxe, Family and Suite. The room you stayed was a Superior room. The different room charges from the next day charges was because it was include with surcharge due to busy period.

We hope this have not marred your future stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Penang.

Travelers are raving about these George Town hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed in the triple room as a family. The staff was very helpful when we found the safe wasn't working and the maintenance man came and replaced the battery. The noise from the Karaoke was noticeable but not that much a big issue to us at least. The street food is just across the road which is really a bonus.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jenny Z
HSGeorgetown, ass at Hotel Sentral Georgetown, responded to this review, September 14, 2013

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel is just on the edge of central Georgetown, so it is in a quieter neighbourhood, yet close enough to walk to Georgetown. Unfortunately, there did not appear to be many eateries nearby. At least none that I saw when I walked around late at night.

The safe did not work, and after a call to the reception, the security guy came to reset it very promptly.

At the reception, I asked questions about locations of banks, and received accurate directions. However, the wifi was not working while I was there.

Window of room faced a wall... duh. Bathroom was rather large. Bed was fine.

Overall, I was very pleased with the room cleanliness, quiet neighbourhood and good service from the staff I interacted with. But I would probably choose a different hotel next time, one that is right in the centre of Georgetown.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Hotel Sentral Georgetown.

It is glad to know that our rooms are clean, comfortable and you had a pleasant stay with us at Hotel Sentral Georgetown. It is definitely a great pleasure to have the opportunity to be of service to you and your friends.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a very reasonable place to stay in Georgetown and the rooms are fine if a little squashed. I would recommend you book a deluxe room rather than standard - we stayed in both and the bathroom is a lot better in the upgrade! The other major issue with this hotel is sadly completely out of their control. The powers that be in their wisdom have granted a license to a late night karaoke bar which makes sleeping in the front of the hotel (where the family rooms are located) very difficult. When we complained the manager went out of his way to move us to another room and was so wonderful but if you are booking here I would suggest you ask for a room at the back of the hotel where a good night's sleep can be had. Breakfast is limited but the oatmeal was nice!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Hotel Sentral Georgetown.

We had taken necessary steps and action to encounter the noise problem. We are also glad to know that one of our team member had immediately assist you with the problem.

We hope this have not marred your future stay with us and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Penang on your next trip.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

+ 1min walk to New lane for great street food

- Free WiFi but very slow and will not connect on some days.
- Cheapest rooms have window to a light well

Small rooms but with safe and TV.
The breafast buffet is very similar each day but that's the case for every breakfast buffet. Good choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from Hotel Sentral Georgetown.

It is good to know that you like the hotel location. As for the free WIFI, we had upgraded the service also. And since we are in the heart of Georgetown, looking for local food has never become a problem to us.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feed back and we look forward to welcoming you back in this near future.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We came to know this hotel thru a website.when booking the reservation was a confirmed booking.the price was good for a 3 star.what makes our stay bad was I have called the hotel on my request of a king bed but what I have is they have told me that my reservation will be cancelled by 5 pm.so what is the point of giving my credit card details for a confirmed reservation? Upon check in the credit card machine had gave me trouble.it charges my card but the reception mention that the card is not honoured.I have to go to out again to look for an atm but who is not shocked when checking the card balance the amount was already charged! I informed the reception which took me a long wait and I feel that there is a discrimination.so what do I care about a group is check in.I was there first and a reception counter will attend to who comes first but instead they just inform me that she needs to check the group in.if I was not in a mood definitely I will be shouting like nobody's business but still its a holiday....so we have to settle the card thingy on our own.the next day I went out from the hotel by noon for a walk and came back at 4 pm.I was so extremely shocked that the roon was still not clean and how disappointed we are as we were so tired and we have to wait.right now we are waiting for the room to be clean and we are sitting at the coffee house like nobody's business.they try to lie that room cleaning is by 3 pm but having to stayed in a star hotel makes me so irritated by their answer...what a kampung hotel...I better stay at a budget hotel at argyl road that offers better service which is above expectations!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank bgumgt85

Greetings from Hotel Sentral Georgetown.

It was very disturbing to learn that your stay was unpleasant and would like to extend our sincere apology for any inconvenience that you may have experiences as a result of our service shortfalls.

With regards to the attitude of the staff, it is certainly an area of genuine concern. We shall enhance our training on Guest and Customer Services so as to handle these issues in mention.

We hope that the incident will not mar your future stay with us.