Guest Inn Muntri
Seven Terraces(George Town)
$141
$130
G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
$145
$151
$144
$70
$43
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
$128
$107
Agoda.com
$95
$90
Priceline
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
$44
$38
Agoda.com
All reviewsdouble roomair conchinese foodchulia streetwalking distancestrategic locationheritage areabosspenangdormcarnarvon
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed a couple of nights in June 2012, paying somewhere in the mid 60's for a double room upsatairs, with shared shower. The room was clean, and as expected from a new hotel, the bed etc was all spotless. It could have been a bit bigger, but at that price, I had no complaints. The a/c and wi fi were all fine. The showers were clean, and worked well on our visit. Coffee and tea are available free all day. Negatives: the "breakfast" was just jam on toast and coffee, which you put together yourself. The bread runs out if you are not quick off the mark. Our room overlooked the street, where there is a school, so each mornng we we awoken at about 7am by hundreds of testosterone fuelled boys arriving on their motorbikes. Keep that in mind if you stay in school time. Lastly, I thought the reception area would have looked nicer if they had used traditional tiles, rather than a drab concrete floor. All in all, we were happy at this choice, but lets see how the Guest Inn matures over time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the street in term time.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

When we arrived here the staff were very friendly and the common area is a nice place to sit, you can get beer at normal prices (they say cheaper than bars but thats not true!!), there is a pool table and fans. The disappointment for me was the room. We booked a double room with shared bathroom and it cost us 140 ringett for 2 nights. We were shown to our room which was the closest to the common area and the first thing i noticed was it smelt damp and musty. Having said this it appeared clean and there was no obvious damp on the walls but the smell never went away throughout our stay even though we left the outlet fan and air con on all day!! The shared bathroom was quite nice but of course had the silly shower in the toilet room system which means everything gets wet and wet for the next person also!!! (I don't understand why this happens so much in Asia?!) The bed was quite large, pretty new and had nice clean sheets on it. The location is a high point as it is within walking distance of most things in Georgetown. So not a terrible place, but not great either... oh and one thing to note is that in all their advertising etc it states they have a restaurant serving food, that is NOT the case, there are no menus or any talk of food at all, which seemed a little odd and would be illegal to advertise such things and not produce them in England!!! It even has a knife and fork on the sign outside and it says they have a restaurant on the information inside!!!

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for an upstairs room with a window if possible, a bit quieter and out of the way
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Guest Inn Muntri opened just 8 days ago as we spent one night with them. It is a young, enthusiastic team that leads the guesthouse.

At the time of our stay, everything was new and not yet 100%. However, the standard of cleanliness is very good and if you have any question there is always a guy around that can help you.

Although the doorms are very small this is not really a disadvantage as you are NOT in Georgetown for an extensive sleep I hope. The breakfast contains the standard "Coffee, Toast and Jam" and the bar has everything to offer you what you may like to drink.

The Guest Inn Muntri is located at Muntri street (next to the Ryokan@Muntri) and is in easy walking distance to the Heritage Sites!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank XelaCH
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stay for a night on 28/6/12-29/06/12, booked thru Agoda! The registration area is narrow and attached with the cafe sitting area. Most rooms on upstairs and I was assigned to room V. Nothing special about the room, but glad to have the electrical socket and a mirror in the room; please ensure the door is properly locked, my door knob was malfunctioned during my stay, I left a message to the reception, but nothing was done, when I get back to the backpacker at late night, I have to use the chair and my backpack to block the door. Lucky, nothing happened and I slept well, as in the day, I was driving and walking lot. The toilet and shower are attached and total of 4 units on upstairs, all newly renovated but not really clean, as I found some hairs and dirt marks on the floor of the toilet, I also found that the shower is not hot enough and there is no place to put your toiletries.

By the way, it really not that difficult to spot the backpacker, it in the center of Georgetown popular with backpackers and tourists; in the morning you can go to Angel for breakfast and also lunch,they are the best just behind the 7-eleventh, and after breakfast, walk about 5-10 minutes to the Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion, then late afternoon or evening its all the hustle and bustle started with food stalls lining up along the main street of Chulia, there are 2 very popular food stalls among the Penang-Langs, the Wantan Mee stalls and the Curry Mee stalls, the locals are willingly to que up there self-service for just a bowl of noodle, and if you are lucky, you may get your bowl of noodle within 30 minutes to hours (advice: avoid dinner times the peak hours).

No joke, it my first time driving all the way from KL to Penang, I found this backpacker quite decent as for the price you pay, location, and amenities, ops, if you are driving, you may find parking is an issue!

Room Tip: please try to avoid taking up the room without window or the one next to the toilet and shower rooms
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I love the location of Guest Inn Muntri, which is walking distance to many heritage spots around Georgetown. The inn also has a lovely laid back vibe and I felt very relaxed there. Staff were friendly and helpful.

I stayed in a single bedroom with shared bathroom. The room was clean and simple; a small room with a single bed and a small desk. For RM50, I think this was worth it and the size was just nice for me. I did note that the single room had no window so if you are averse to this, best to check with the staff about rooms that do have windows. The shared bathroom was spacious and brightly lit. The only disadvantage was the "Asian-style" bathroom, which means that the shower and the toilet are placed together, resulting in a wet bathroom all the time. I personally had no problems with this (being an Asian myself) but I imagine that this may be a problem for guests who are used to a dry bathroom. In terms of cleanliness, I thought the bathroom could have been cleaned more frequently but again, I was staying over a full capacity weekend and could have gotten the not-so-clean end of things.

Overall, I would recommend Guest Inn Muntri as a charming and simple place to stay at. It is ideal for guests who want to be close enough to the heritage area of Georgetown but it is not a place to expect 5 Star treatment - you would definitely need to pay more if that's what you're after! Some improvements are needed, however; I would suggest building a shower cubicle for the bathrooms and/or separating out the shower area so that the toilet area can remain dry.

Room Tip: A number of rooms are located on the upper level so this might not be suitable for guests with large pieces of luggage. Also check for rooms with windows if you're afraid of being stuck in a windowless room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business