The Northam All Suite Penang
$80
$133
$125
Hotels.com
G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
$145
$114
$113
$90
$151
$144
$62
$43
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
$107
Agoda.com
$95
$90
Priceline
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
$44
$38
Agoda.com
All reviewsbeach cafegurney drivejacuzzi tubmr firdausseparate living roompowder roomdining tablegreat sea viewhuge roomno liftinfinity poolbit datedspacious bathroombuffet breakfasthotel lobbyfood courtpleasant stay
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I do NOT recommend this hotel. I spent one night last year, the first room I booked was dirty and smell the cigarette (it was a none smoking floor!). I called the reception desk two times to change the room, and I have waited for one hour before going myself at the reception desk.
Their staffs suggest illegal massages in room service.
Last point, one of the staff suggested me to post my postcards for me. I gave him the money for the stamps. The result? He kept the money, of course! I've never receveid the postcards (send in different countries and different cities, so it is not the responsibility of the post service).
One thing: book at a different hotel, but not this one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mikael M
The Northam All... P, General Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Mikael,

According to our record, you checked in on 25/11/2012 late night around 10.35pm, and you ask for a massage. Our bellboy explained to you, that our massage is on the 09th floor, and the last massage is at 10.30pm and the price. You said it's too expansive, at RM 127.00 and you agreed to have an outside massage at RM 80.00. We do not understand, why you called that an illegal massage.

We are very strict with non-smoking rooms and non smoking floors, however it is difficult to control whether guest smoke in the room or not. Our room cleaners are under strict instructions to freshen up the room, should there be any cigarette smell in any of the rooms.
Regarding your postcards, we do not understand what you mean by saying you never receive your postcards (send in different countries and different cities).

I am looking at the Hotel Guest Questionaire filled up by you dated 26/11/2012, and my apology to you via email on the same day at 1311HRS.
I assure you that we try very hard to please every guest in our hotel.

Anthony Ang
The Northam All Suite Hotel, Penang

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

When i stay here for two nights, I booked a one junior suite room. The room is so big, nice, and clean... All the staff are friendly and courteous. And I really really really like this hotel. But the thing is, that is in the jacuzzi tub should not be used, "maybe damaged" ... ;(

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It was only after we have booked our stay that I started looking up reviews on tripadvisor. And we were quite apprehensive about this place.

The property is pretty old, but apparently has been refurbished recently. Our suite was on the 25th floor. We had arrived very late in the evening.

Our first impression - wow! what a fabulous place.

Pluses:
The suite is spacious.
Sitting room has a tv set (the old fashioned kind), and comfortable chairs and settee and a coffee table.
'Office area' with its own desk and chair, is an extension of the sitting room.
Also a guest toilet at the side near the door.
Large bedroom, separated by a sliding door, has a comfortable king sized bed and another tv set (also of the old fashioned kind).
Large bathroom has a Jacuzzi, a twin vanity counter, a separate shower room, and a separate toilet.

Minuses:
An interior design flaw positioned the room safe at almost floor level. One actually has to kneel or squat or stoop very low to operate the safe.
Ironing board is of the type one has to rest on a table to use it. So the only place to rest it on is the office table. It is also half the length of a regular ironing board.
Only one electric plug next to the table, and no other. To iron clothes, one has to remove the computer or the cell phone being charged.
Only two shallow drawers in the wardrobe, not enough space for underthings and knick knacks.
Unless shut, the wardrobe folding door will not stay still but keeps sliding outwards.

Housekeeping needs to be improved. Throughout our 2D/2N stay, we noticed a thin film of dust and some hair on and around the jacuzzi, and on the top of the toilet cistern. I drew a line on the dust. Bath towels need more fabric conditioner/softener.

Bedroom slippers were provided; bathroom toiletries were good quality.

Service was friendly and good. The bell hop kept a parking space reserved for our car. When the room safe refused to work, a maintenance staff came almost immediately to fix it.

Breakfast was included, and it was adequate. Western and local fare.

We did not use the swimming pool or the spa facilities. Located on the 9th floor, they looked inviting.

Our last impression - this property, if maintained well, can still be a winner.

Room Tip: Request a high floor and sea facing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

we booked 2 deluxe and 1 junior suite all on the 32th floor. Rooms are big. both junior and deluxe rooms has 2 toliets, living area and 2 tv. deluxe has an additional dining area. rooms are big and kids has plenty of room to run around. i find the bed too hard. the hair dryer will auto shut off after it gets heated up. i had to wait for it to cool down before i can use again. too much of a hassle. Ivy nyonya is just round the corner, lovely food. there is a hair salon call de'senze just behind of the hotel is also good.

Room Tip: ask for seaview rooms
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GwenFoo
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We booked a Junior Suite for 2 nights. On the first night, we stayed on the 25th floor and the whole floor is almost deserted. The room is in a terrible state: old and dirty furniture, mosquitoes infested, old blood stains all over the toilet floor, toilets that auto-flush every 2 minutes throughout the night, broken down kettle and an old TV with very bad TV signals. We could also feel a presence in the corridor and room (i.e. haunted) even though they did not really disturb us. In short, nothing is working right in this room. Needless to say, we requested for a change of room the first thing in the morning!

On the second night, we switched to 26th floor and things improved a great deal. The room is definitely cleaner, brighter and not haunted. The only downside is uncomfortable beds and pillows (on both floors) and I couldn't sleep well at all throughout these 2 nights. We have concluded that we will never return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on higher floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family