“Spend some money & bring this beauty back to life”

Ranked #43 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here 10 years ago in a junior suite and felt like a King with it’s impressive views, separate lounge with settees, 2 toilets, desk, Jacuzzi bath in the double sink bathroom with separate shower.

I was so much looking forward to coming back for a 3 night stay with my partner to experience what was one of the nicest Hotels I had ever stayed in, but sadly this in not the case now for this tired and worn beautiful Hotel.

The location is by the sea (there is no beach here) approx between the centre of Georgetown and Gurney Plaza shopping mall. There is fairly large food hawker centre 2 minutes walk by the waters edge and if you feel up to the 20-minute walk to Gurney Plaza shopping mall you will pass many other eating-places. We took taxis into Old Town (10 RM), as it seemed to far to walk.

The rooms are well equipped with safe, iron, hairdryer, complimentary water, fridge, kettle, free wifi, air con, bed & lounge TV, complimentary toiletries etc. There is a 9th floor pool with great views and a spa area offering massages etc

Breakfast has plenty of choice, but lacked freshness. Items looked limp and pastries & bread were from the day before.

Rates were very reasonable and about the same as what I paid 10 years ago, but sadly this now shows in wear and tear.

Staff were great and made us feel most welcome. Shame the owners won’t spend the money to match this welcome. So say, they are refurbishing a floor at a time, but I get the impression it’s on a shoe string budget.

Room Tip: Take a room furthest away from elevators
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Petegaff
NorthamMIS, General Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Petegaff,

We thank you for your remarks on your stay with us and glad to know that our staff has been very friendly and efficient.

Admittedly, we are in the process, under new ownership in refurbishing our rooms in stages, the TV, the floor and other items.

We hope you will come back and stay with us again in one of our newly refurbish room.

There are newer reviews for The Northam All Suite Penang

1. Need a car. Not walking distance to city centre or attractions
2. There's no Golf Channel, hehe

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ed S,

We have noted your 6 compliments and the "No Golf Channel" comment.

Look forward to Welcoming You again.

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Nice view from my room but find iron mark on the rug. Very spacious but furniture very old and tired. Reception very poor service, asked for extra blanket twice but never arrive. Bathroom have mould in it , try using jacuzzi but deity water come out. Bed linen got hole & towel were old & rough. We will not return again. Disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Regine-09

Dear Regine-09,

We noticed that you stay with us in February and wonder whether it was during the Chinese New Year period?

Yes, our Suites are very large and very often there are 5 to 6 people in the room and requesting for extra towels, extra blanket, extra pillow, etc.. and we could not comply with all request.

However, I can be contacted at this number, 012-4816556, so that I can investigate more thoroughly.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just returned from Penang last weekend and was my 4th stay with Northam Suite in the last 10 years. I hope the followings could help you with knowing what to expect, so as to avoid unnecessary disappoinment:

Plus Points:
1. Very spacious suite rooms. Recommend the 57 sqm Junior Suite.
2. Good size in-room Jacuzzi.
3. 2 sinks. Separate shower & toilet cubicles. 2 toilets in a Junior Suite.
4. The sea facing rooms have beautiful and relaxing views of Penang's shimmering water.
5. Very affordable rates
6. Walking distance to Northam Cafe (2 mins), Kochabi Taiwanese Cuisine (5 mins), Him Heang (6 mins), Chew Thean Yeang Aquarium/ Pet Store (15 mins), Gurney Plaza (20 mins).

Need improvements:
1. A room on 32nd floor has cracked wooden flooring near the bathroom entrance. To replace.
2. The room I last stayed on 37th floor needs carpet shampooing to remove the huge stains.
3. The front desk staff are friendly but more smiles & welcoming would be appreciated.
4. There's no ramp linking carpark to the hotel. Challenging to drag luggages up & down stairs.
5. For the price, the buffet breakfast spread is just so-so.

Personally, I still think it is a great place to stay, except for the must-do refurbishments. One more thing, thank God, so far no haunting experience for me yet, though I'm ultra sensitive to such 'ambience'. Thus, if the price level does not increase drastically, I think I'll just keep going back! :o)

Room Tip: Go for the sea-facing junior suite rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fats88
NorthamMIS, General Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Fats88 Singapore,

Thank you for your "Plus Points" & "Need Improvements" Comments.

We thank you for both and I have personally look into areas where we can improve further.

We are in the continuos process of upgrading all our Suites, such as floorboards, TV and other necessary guest comforts.

We look forward to having you as our guest again and the possibility of saying "hello" to you.

Regards,

Reviewed May 5, 2013

the suite was very spacious and clean. we like how it was decorated. simple yet with elegance. the location is perfect for me. located between georgetown and tanjung bungah. we got sea view room and it was nice to see the sea just as soon as we wake up. not to forget we also requested for a non-smoking room.

• Stayed: May 2013
NorthamMIS, Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Mr Sicha 123,

We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay at The Northam All Suite Hotel Penang.

We look forward to Welcoming You again and if time permits, I would be glad to say hello to you.

Regards,

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Value for money, good Breakfast, Free good wifi signal in the rooms. Very clean rooms. Good location, very near from kondar. never miss cheese no egg cake. Never miss the boat ride to turtle beach and monkey beach in penanag national park.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr Arulsingh,

Thank you very much for your compliments on our hotel. Our motto has always been:

"Make The Guest Happy and We Will Feel Happier".

We look forward to Welcoming You to The Northam again and I would like to have the honour to meet you personally.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Knocking sounds, dragging of furnitures and dropping of marble sound can be heard all night. When we complained, the staff didn't look surprised. In fact the room above was empty. Toilet floor was slimy looking, floorboard near bed rotting and bedside control panel buttons have holes in them. Hall lights kept flickering intermittently. Don't bother with breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2013
54  Thank Benwon
N0rthamAllSuite, Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

I can assure you that our hotel is not haunted as I have a room in the hotel. There has never been a haunted story complaint.

I have a Welcome Letter in the room with my hand phone number. You should have contacted me as my phone is reachable 24 hours.

I would like to find out more details as this is the first time I received this complaint.

My email address is : anthony.ang@northam-hotel.com.my

From,
GM
The Northam All Suite Penang.