Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang
$80
Seven Terraces(George Town)
$141
$130
G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
$145
$53
Priceline
$70
$43
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
$128
$107
Agoda.com
$95
$90
Priceline
Chulia Mansion(George Town)(Great Value!)
$44
$38
Agoda.com
1,538 results
All reviewsnew lanehawker stallsstreet foodhawker foodwalking distanceclub roomtaxi standprangin mallmacalister roadbuffet breakfastclean hotelsmall poolearly checknasi lemakroom was spacioussingle bedpleasant stay
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and were very happy that we did. The hotel has been recently renovated, you need your key card to access the elevator, night light in room. Located on New Lane Road so there are lots of places to eat and an experience. Staff were excellent and very helpful. Breakfast was excellent with lots so variety. Pool is on the roof , small and closes early. The only downside

Room Tip: We choose a room on floor 15 facing street great view of ocean and street and quiet room
1  Thank Tim092
SunwayGeorgetown, General Manager at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Guests,

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetwown, Penang!

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and our service and product met to your expectation.

I agree with you that if only the pool was larger it would have been wonderful!

Thank you for your good comments.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Centrally located, rooms were nice and clean. Size was ok. Breakfast was ok with average variety.
New Lane hawker stalls is just outside the hotel. Parking is provided for free if you're driving. Only complaint is that the bathroom will be flooded if you're not careful when you're taking a shower. The bottom of the door which separates the shower is not fully "covered?".

Overall, value for money and will certainly come back again.

2  Thank peeenuts

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your good comments and we understand that there are areas for improvement.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and our maintenance team has taken immediate action on the issue highlighted.

Thank you and we look forward to your return visit soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Location: good location with an average 10-15 min taxi ride to most central places.

Breakfast: good selection, noodle soup is bland, nasi lemak is the winner. (if you don't pre-purchase breakfast, reception will try to rip you off by charging anywhere between 32RM per person. You can get it for 20RM).

Neighbourhood: massage across the road is legit. street food on the corner is ok but will give you the runs. There are hardly any shops open at Times Square.

Room Service: nasi goreng and ox tail soup were very flavourful - a good suprise.

Room: Check the bedsheets. There were hairs on ours, leading to the assumption that housekeeping only visually inspect and brush the sheets clean.

Luggage service: Bloody useless. Usually the porter will bring your luggage to your room shortly after checkin. After an hour later, I called reception and they said it's on the way shortly. After another 30 mins, I called again and reception thought I wanted to bring my luggage down, so they sent a porter with a trolley. I got fed up and went downstairs to collect it myself. Security had no idea where my luggage was, and after another 10 mins of stuffing around they found it in the luggage room. Utterly useless.

Trustworthiness: None. On my own admission, I left a luxury watch in the safe upon checkout. Management said that housekeeping did not find anything. You would think one of Malaysia's most largest and respectable companies would do its due diligence and hand in property, but no. They even have hallway CCTV and can track which housekeeping member went into the room to cleanup. I filed a police report and they are "investigating" the incident, but I don't expect anything to come out of it. I'm not surprised by the way this was handled, especially after seeing how the Malaysian government has handled the MH370 crisis. Keep your valuables close to you - they will take anything they can get their hands on and get away with by feigning ignorance.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank flying_forward

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

We appreciate your encouraging comments on our Food and Beverage and we are glad that you enjoyed the dining experience. Nevertheless, we acknowledged that you were disappointed on the lack of service and I truly agree that it could have been handled in a better way and I have followed up with my team to ensure such situation does not recur.

I would like reassure that we take pride in our reputation built on trust, integrity and professionalism. My team has conducted a thorough investigation on the issue when you informed the matter a day after you checked out from the hotel and realised the missing of the said belongings. The finding was negative. Thereafter you lodged the police report; the authority too has conducted their investigation.

Meanwhile, I would like to emphasize that what you have experienced is certainly not the reflection of our standards of service.

Once again, I am deeply sorry for the shortcomings and while I thank you for your kind understanding on this matter, it is my fervent hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

My family and I chose this hotel cos of its strategic location and knowing that it has been recently renovated, we assumed it would be a good choice for holiday. We must agree that the room is really nice and comfortable to stay in. However, the check-in and check out process were VERY slow and service was VERY poor! When i arrived to the reception to check in, i was attended by a receptionist named Sarah. She was sooo slow and it seems like she wasn't very well trained in explaining how room charges & deposit are charged. When i asked her is room charges payable during check out, she answered yes but she collected a total of room charges&one night deposit from me. When i reconfirmed with her again, then she said yes, it is their standard procedure to collect room charge and deposit together during check in. I was clearly confused. This showed how terrible she is in explaining things to guest. When i was at the front desk, there was also another receptionist named Devy who was attending to several China guests. Clearly the guests did not understand English very well and i heard a bell boy came over and spoke to her, indicating that they are from China and Devy should speak to them in Chinese. It was pretty clear that this receptionist can speak Chinese. But instead of speaking and helping guest to understand better, she refused to speak a word of Chinese yet raised her voice towards these guests in a very unfriendly tone. I even heard one of the guest scolded back, "ben dan" which means stupid. What a shame!

Same thing happened when i checked out, i was queueing up at the front desk and the guests ahead of me were attended by Sarah. There were only two receptionist at that time. I noticed the other queue had the same number of queue as the one i was in. There were three people before me. So i purposely timed how long this Sarah will take til it gets to me. True enough my queue remains that long while the other queue was already shortened. Then i hopped to the other queue as it was taking too much time. After that, a guy who looks like their front office manager, his name is Sivali, came out to help. The guy who was standing in front of me in my initial queue went to Sivali's queue and complained about Sarah. I saw Sarah showing a sour face to this guest, and the guest said "what kind of service is this? So slow, so poor!" After this guy is done checking out, i hopped to Sivali's (u can totally imagine how long i have waited!!)

I must say how disappointed i was speaking from a former hotelier point-of-view. With such renowned hotel, there should be proper procedure of attending to guest and charges for deposit. Though the room and housekeeping service was very good, the front office service clearly need an upgrade of standard. Hope the management will truly look into this as it is quite intolerable.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 592ndreal

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang!

It is with our deepest regret and profuse concern over the issues highlighted that has caused so much of inconveniences to you as our esteemed guests.

Nevertheless, we would like to emphasize and reassure that what you have experienced is certainly not the reflection of our standards of service. I assure you that I am equally most concerned with regards to the service shortcomings which were not at all intentional.

Nonetheless, you have my assurance that I will personally address this issue with my team members for immediate improvement.

I sincerely hope that you have not allowed this incident to mar your impression of us and that it has not detracted too much of your overall enjoyment of your stay here.

We appreciate your kind understanding and we value your support. We look forward to be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

The rooms were clean and a good size, pool OK but lacks afternoon shade, the breakfast was varied and plentiful and the staff very friendly. This hotel is a great base for exploring Penang and much cheaper than staying closer to the old town. There are also some good shopping centres nearby (if that's your thing). All buses leave stop under Komtar, a short walk away.The free MPPP which loops around Georgetown will take you through the streets to the jetty where you can catch the ferry across to the mainland and back for RM1.4. The nearby Clan villages are worth a look. You can also walk in to Little India and see the street art and partake in some delicious Indian food. The 101 will take you up to Batu Feringghi for RM2.7 to visit the beach and where there are some great places to eat after 7pm and the 204 which goes to the Kek Lok Si temple and nearby markets and fenicular railway where you can get a fantastic view of Georgetown for RM2.0. There are street food markets outside the hotel and down Jalan Macalister. There is no need to catch taxis in Penang as the public transport system will get you to most places cheaply. The GAMA has a supermarket where you can purchase drinks or snacks and there are a couple of convenience stores where you can get ice (the hotel will supply it but only in small quantities) for your afternoon cocktails. There are also a couple of laundries nearby in Lorong Kinta, Lorong Madras and Jalan Burma opposite the big aquarium.

Room Tip: Beds are very hard so you may want to request a pillow top for the mattress if you prefer something a bit less firm.
4  Thank MickeyMouse955

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your comments on the hotel as well as the surrounding for other travelers' knowledge. We are delighted to hear that you had a nice traveling experience, enjoyed the location and liked our breakfast and the service.

We look forward to welcoming you soon on your next visit.