“Friendly staff and good room size”

Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Adelaide, Australia
“Friendly staff and good room size”
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

The room was nice and big. The bathroom needs abit maintenance, there was water leak when taking a shower. Staffs were friendly and helpful. Don't book the Penang hill tour from the hotel. They charged us 320rm for 4hrs on a private tour. But all they did was drive us there and pick us up. We have to pay for the train to go up the hill. Basically, you just watch the view and take photo so you don't need 4hrs. There were only 2 restaurants up there with no customer so we ended up not having dinner there. You better off to catch a taxi, its cost around 80-90rm per way.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Adelaide144
SunwayGeorgetown, General Manager at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, April 1, 2014

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

We appreciate your valuable time to share your experience with us during your recent stay. We apologise for the inconvenience caused. Please be informed that the Travel & Tours operator is an external party. However, we have informed them of your comments. Nonetheless, we have taken the necessary measures on the areas that requires improvement.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Victoria
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The room was spacious with a comfortable bed. Room looked like it had been recently updated, everything in the bathroom worked. The room could use another chair for sitting -- one chair is not quite enough. Our request for a higher floor facing Penang Hill room was accommodated with smiles at check-in -- the view is lovely, especially at night (you can see the temple). One downside to the hotel is the loud music that comes on every night from some nearby square -- we could hear the music even though we were on the back (supposedly quieter) side of the hotel. Not much that the hotel can do about it, fortunately the music stops around 11 p.m. (this is the reason for the Very Good instead of Excellent rating). Otherwise, the location is great, within walking distance to many restaurants, shops, and tourist sites in the downtown. We left a tripod in the room upon departure, and the hotel was prompt in responding to email about it. Housekeeping had found it and had kept it until we arranged for its retrieval. Excellent staff!

Room Tip: Higher floor is always better.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JJ503

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for your compliments and the respective department has been notified. We wished you had a wonderful stay!

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The hotel is located in city centre within walkin distance to restaurant. Room is clean and fully bathroom amenities. Staff are very friendly and so aggressive. Swiming pool a bit small but it is something compliment which is value added to us. Breakfast is so so.... I would stay there again .

Room Tip: Room face to city is nice.
Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angousspheap

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for sharing your comments and we will look into the areas for further improvement.

We hope to see you soon.

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I had stayed here a few times 10-15 years ago and chose this because of its central location and my familiarity with the area for a business trip of a few days.

Naturally it has been updated in the meantime and the reception area is very glitzy although somewhat sparse. The reception experience and staff in general are very good, welcoming, professional and helpful and there is a handy car park to the rear.

The rooms have been similarly updated and have everything the standard traveller could want. The breakfast is good and varied with local and Western food, chefs to do your eggs as you like them etc. and plenty of everything. The restaurant is not at all busy in the evening due to the excellent variety of hawker food available right outside every night except Wednesdays.

Location is excellent to explore, walk along Penang Road to the Older areas of town, backpackerland and so on, although Komtar shopping is not what it was in days past.

I enjoyed my stay and had no problems other than occasionally slow Wi-Fi and the faint sound of a local karaoke band up to midnight, so top marks considering the reasonable price paid.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ideasfarm

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

We are pleased to acknowledge that you enjoyed your stay with us during your trip to Penang recently.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and insights of the places of interest.

We look forward to your return visits!

Auckland
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Firstly hotel is well placed on the edge of the old town and historical area. Taxis right outside hotel will take you where you want to visit (agree on price first as they don't use meters even though they are required by law). Hawker street food stalls on street outside and lots of people about in evenings and nights all add to the atmosphere. It's a really fun, interesting place.

Several problems with hotel. It's a nicely renovated, clean, 70's modern, simple hotel. Lobby is very nice, rooms simple, clean. We arrived at night after 18 hours travelling and had booked a club room on higher floor. Immediately paid in full for our four night stay. The young lady on reception said our room was on 6th floor which didn't sound right as hotel is about 15 floors high. I questioned this but was told firmly I was wrong, that was our allocated room. I was told we could buy breakfast at the cafe in the lobby (Had booked a club room with breakfast in club lounge). Too tired to complain further we went to the room with the bell boy who took our luggage. The stench hit me as I opened the door - smokers room, smokers floor - there must be a mistake I thought (we weren't even offered smokers or non smokers floor and I'd made sure Club Rooms were non-smoking). I refused the room and went back down to the reception desk. Same young lady would not budge, that was our room, no mistake. I found the printout I had from booking.com which showed "Club room, Upper Floors, Breakfast in Club Lounge, All day Refreshments, Drink in evening). Eventually the lady went to talk to someone else, she was not admitting there could be any mistake, but we were then allowed to have a Club room on 14th floor. We are a well presented mature couple - there's no reason for her insistence that I was wrong. She should have immediately checked things out. The room was good, very clean, super views of old streets, temples, Komtar tower.Club lounge was nice but, we suspect, same food was put out each day. Staff on Club room desk near Club lounge were mostly helpful. The lady breakfast cook was the very best, so friendly when we talked to her even though she tried (as was her job) to stay in kitchen. She cooked us very good egg omelets for breakfast. One Club lounge hostess lady on our last day was super nice also.

Our room had a bad smell from bathroom which we at first thought was from outdoors (It was very hot and smelly outside as no rain for two months and this the older area of town - its all part of the appeal, I loved it all). The smell was worse next day and by the third day/fourth night we arrived back to bad smells and blocked toilet. Water overflowed. Ah, so that was the bad smell - husband went down to reception (nicer than phoning them) to ask for maintenance. It was late, after 10 pm, but we couldn't use the toilet and needed to shower and pack and sleep to leave next day. No one came. I became angry by 1:30 am and asked for a room change which was immediately given but maintenance guy arrived as we went back up to our room and managed to remedy the blockages (note: it was not caused by us, maybe a previous guest or maybe just the hot, dry conditions). The smell was very bad and we both felt ill so we still changed room, up to 15th floor, nice clean room and by 2.30 am we were asleep. Leaving at 9:30 am next day we were very tired and this really affected our onward journey.

It seemed that no one had the power to make things right when they are wrong and insisted that our room had been allocated and could not be wrong isn't helpful. Good quality hotel and I loved Penang and will visit again but I wouldn't stay at Sunway Hotel again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a club room on top floors and make sure you get it, don't accept less.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SunwayGeorgetown, General Manager at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, March 15, 2014

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

First and foremost, please accept my utmost sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused to you during your recent stay with us. I truly understand that the situation could have been handled more tactfully and professionally.

I assure you that I’m equally most concerned and with regards to the service shortcomings which were not at all intentional. Nonetheless, you have my assurance that I have personally addressed all these issues with my team for immediate improvement.

Meanwhile, I would like to emphasize and reassure that what you have experienced is certainly not the reflection of our standards of service.

Once again, I am deeply sorry for the shortcomings and while I thank you for your kind understanding on this matter, it is my fervent hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in near future and provide you a positive experience.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Overview - The external of the hotel is clean looking and this is a contrast from the surrounding with old bitten houses. This hotel is situated 10 mins away from the bus terminal and 2 mins away from local street food. It is 15-20 mins away from 3 shopping malls and it is accessible in many ways.

Interior - The interior is nice smelling and you will notice this immediately when you stepped into it. The lobby is spacious and it has a travel booth to assist visitors for local tour packages. The reception was slow when I checked-in but luckily someone offered fruit juice while waiting. The lift was small-ish to my liking but usable. The 20ish meter swimming pool is nicely kept but would be nice if it has better views.

Rooms: The basic room comes with either 2 single bed or 1 king size bed and there are still spaces for walking around or card games with 3-4 friends on the carpet. TV channels was disappointing as I would prefer more movie channels. Aircon is cool enough for the v.hot weather there and I am well satisfied with it. The bathroom comes with an enclosed shower area (no bath tub) but it is spacious enough for my wide shoulder and body to move around. The bed as firm enough but pillow tends to be on the softer side.

Overall happy with the stay there and would recommend others.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road tend to be nosier. Stay higher and possibly away from the road.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Desmond H
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your pleasant experience during your recent stay with us in Penang.

We are delighted to learn that all arrangements and services extended during your stay met your expectations. Your very kind comments have in turn been passed on to members of staff concerned who are indeed most appreciative. Such compliments are most welcomed as they do wonders to the morale of our staff.

Nevertheless, we will strive for continuous improvement.

We look forward towards having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future on your next visit to this city. In the meantime, we thank you for your past patronage.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Our room was huge (deluxe club) and recently refurbished with modern decor. We found the bathroom (particularly the shower) the best during our 3 week trip in Malaysia. The only niggle for me personally was that the bed was rock hard. My partner slept like a baby whereas I was tossing and turning all night. I guess it goes to show how different we can each find the comfort of a mattress!

The location of this hotel is fairly decent; it is central enough to hop on a bus or grab a taxi to the centre of Georgetown or anywhere else you may care to visit on the island. That being said there isn't much close by at night in terms of entertainment or things to do. We were disappointed that the hotel doesn't have a bar area for guests to mingle and relax in the evening.

We found the helpfulness / friendliness of the hotel staff varied greatly throughout our visit, though there was effort made to celebrate Christmas (carol singers, decorations) which was a nice touch.

One thing we were disappointed with was the swimming pool. Clearly the photos you see on the web site were shot with a wide angle lens as both the pool and the terrace area are actually pretty small. There were not enough sun loungers (literally a handful) and the only refreshments available were that from a vending machine.

All in all, a good a place to stay if you are ever visiting Penang!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meemio

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

We are happy to hear that you and your partner had a wonderful time during your stay in our hotel. All your comments are valuable. These kind words are truly the main encouragement for us to keep improving the service standards.

Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to your return visits.