“First visit back since the remodel”

Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in George Town
gjwoodsjr
“First visit back since the remodel”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

A very big difference from the last time I was there back in March of 2013. The hotel check in was again very efficient. Rooms were the same as the last time so no big change there. The breakfast area was brand new. Nice selection of foods, eggs to cooked to the way you wanted them or if you prefer there are scrambled eggs in the buffet line. Fruits were very fresh. Much improved since the last visit.

My only issue was the internet speed. On my last visit you could connect with the LAN wire that they had in the room. Seems that now the only way is wireless which left something to be desired. Other that a very good place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gerry W
SunwayGeorgetown, General Manager at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, October 23, 2013

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay with us. We are glad that you stay met up to your expectations, however, we will look into the wire connection for the internet that you had highlighted. Rest assured that we will address the matter to prevent future recurrences.

We thank you for your past patronage and look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
SHAH ALAM
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Positives:
- The hotel is was recently renovated which made my stay A++ ! The room we book was spacious comfy. Very friendly and helpful staff. Will definitely come back again in future.

- The hotel is also a walking distance away from a shopping mall - Penang Times Square.

Not so OK:
- The hotel's location is somewhat hidden from the main road.
- My room's shower plughole was blocked and had issues draining out water - even after a brief shower. Informed the housekeeping staff of this; hope its been rectified.

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for your comments posted. We are delighted that you enjoyed our newly refurbished rooms. Please accept out apologies on the drainage issues you experienced and rest assured we will address the issue highlighted to prevent future recurrences.

Once again thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We chosed to stay in Sunway hotel this round as the hotel was recently renovated so everything is new which was great plus it's in town area and just steps away from New Lane night hawker stalls, very convenient. Room was spacious enough for us, water pressure for shower is good and air-con is also cold enough for us, excellent. The only thing I want to highlight is the bedsheet has this damp smell as though it's not dry properly which I've read some reveiwers commented the same. I've also provided in my feedback form to the hotel so hope the management will look into this to improve. Other than that, the staffs are friendly and helpful so will definitely come back again in future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us which met up to your expectations. At the same time, we would like to apologise on the issue of the bedsheet. Please rest assured that the issue has been addressed and resolved and we thank you for bringing this to our attention for further improvement.

We thank you for your past patronage and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Good Location and value for money. Should improve the check in and check out process, too slow, not efficient, have to queue up for long time. I arrive the hotel at 2:00 pm, but cannot check in until 3:00 pm, so I have to go out for lunch and wait. But when I booked the hotel via Hotel.com, it mentioned that the check in time is 2:00 pm. As most hotels can offer the check in time at 2:00 pm, I do not understand why this hotel set the check in time so late at 3:00 pm. I hope they can change the check in time to 2:00 pm as most hotels practices in this way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. We do apologise on the delay during check-in and please rest assured that we are looking into improvements to be made in this area.

We wish to inform that the stipulated Hotel check-in time is at 3pm, however, we will strive to do our best to provide guests with rooms earlier than that if possible, as this is subject to room availability, especially during busy periods.

Meanwhile we thank you for your support and look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The hotel is newly refurbished and located centrally at Georgetown.

I've booked two deluxe rooms under my name. After a long journey from south we finally reached the hotel at around 9pm on the first night. I was physically exhausted but the check-in process took me over 15 mins which I think it is unacceptable for an experienced 4-stars hotel. The front desk staff insisted to have 2 credit cards as deposit for 2 rooms. I simply cannot understand why they couldn't just charge it just to my card.

I only realised that I was given 2 twin beds rooms after the check-in. Both me and my wife were tired enough that we decided not to make a fuss over it. However, I received a call soon after check-in and asked me if I am OK with the room. I told the lady "no, I asked for a king bed room". She replied that I have to make a call to reception or house keeping to either change it or combine the 2 single beds. What's the point of calling and ask if I need any help when you cannot help? She said it's just a courtesy call. I would recommend the hotel to cancel this kind of pointless service.

The next day I went down to the reception and ask for it myself. The hotel is fully booked over the weekend so they cannot change another room for me. The 2 single beds are not fixed to the ground so the house keeping should be able to combine it and put on a comforter. The receptionist answered me: "the beds are not fixed so we cannot combine it". I think she doesn't get whatever I was trying to say at all. Eventually I gave up and combine the beds by myself!

Besides that, only 1 small bottle of shampoo and shower gel each were provided in the shower room and it wasn't replenished on the next day! We had to call the house keeping staff to bring the new one for us.

To me these are very basic thing which a 4-stars hotel should get it right.

The hawker center is right next to the hotel but honestly speaking, try somewhere else!

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang!

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback, as it is precisely through such comments that we are able to improve and remain true to our committed effort of serving guests in our utmost capacity.

Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you had experienced in terms of the service level, which failed to meet your expectations. However, we assure you that we shall strive to further improve and heightened the level of our customer service.

We would like to thank you again for your kind understanding and support despite the shortcomings and for taking time to write to us.

We sincere hope you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future.

Thank you.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed a night at this hotel. I would have to say this is an excellent hotel to go for if you are planning to visit Penang. The hotel is located near Komtar and popular streets. It is easy to get a taste of Penang local food just outside the hotel, very convenient indeed.

The hotel staffs are very friendly and good services. We checked in the club room at club floor, which allowed us to have our breakfast at the club lounge. Like the privacy that we had.

Definitely a good choice for anyone to stay when visiting Penang!

Room Tip: Location is very good.
1 Thank mskong
SunwayGeorgetown, General Manager at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, October 22, 2013

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for your sharing your comments on your stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our newly refurbished Club room and its Club facilities. it is great tohear that you managed to take advantage of our convenient location to explore and experience Penang.

We value your support and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Everything is good except 2 things LIFT and COUNTER SERVICE.
1, Lift - need to improve the system, sometime wait for 1-2 minutes times, I stay at 6th floor and got one lift at 7th floor, the lift not moving until the other lift from 14th floor coming. There got 3 lifts but at least the lift from 7th floor can go down and pick us. This is not a first time in 1 day.
2. Customer Service - the counter ask me wait until 3PM for my check-in, may I know what is the problem? No response, standard is 2PM check-in but why 3PM? I arrive at the hotel at 12PM and hotel ask me to wait until 3PM?

Room Tip: Call the hotel for your check-in time, make sure got room available before you reach there.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Penang!

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We do apologise for the lapse of service of our guest lifts, however, please rest assured that we will get the issue resolved to prevent recurrences in the future.

We wish to inform you that our stipulated check-in time is 3pm and this information is posted on our online booking engines as well. However, as and when rooms are available, we will definitely ensure that guests are able to check-in earlier as this is subject to room availability.

We thank you for your past patronage and hope to be given the opportunity of welcoming you back here again soon.