2 people are viewing this hotel
Fully refundable before Wed, Mar 6
KLOOK
$38
1,807 results
All reviews hawker stalls street food walking distance ban heang local food buffet breakfast clean hotel single bed nasi lemak hotel lobby strategic location pleasant stay housekeeping staff family room noodles front office komtar
Selected filters
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel was nice and clean.
There were works going on when we stayed here. The reception area was nice but a little outdated maybe. Same for the room. It was cosy and had good facilites but the bathroom was terrible. It had tiles coming off the bath. So it did need updating. Although it was clean.

The hotel is quite close to times square shopping centre and one can easily walk there. The pool is nice if a little bit small and there are very few sun loungers. So if you want a nice big pool holiday then not really the place to go.

Breakfast was good and there was a good variety even for vegetarians. A bit cramped because of the works going on people have to dine in another room and sometimes share a table. We ordered room service and it was very good. They could not make pizza as they had run out of cheese but the guy taking the order was very accommodating and gave us some other veg choices not on the menu.

Overall a nice hotel but not sure if I would go back.

Date of stay: September 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Upon Check in - Before I arrived to the hotel, I called up at 10am to ask if my room is ready, the front desk say my room is ready can just approach any time for check in, however i arrived to the hotel at 1pm for check in, I was told that the room is not ready yet need to wait for 1 hour & I actually spoken to Azmi the duty manager before that i need a twin bed with a non smoking room, as he promise to upgrade my room to the newly renovated room with my preferences with a confirmation letter the hotel sent to me, but the front desk was telling me, my preferences is not guaranteed although I have a confirmation letter written Twin Bed & Non Smoking room GUARANTEED. The front desk told me they only have a Smoking room, I had told them i'm quite sensitive with cigarette smell, after that the front desk staff was telling me the house keeping is cleaning up the room so I'll have to wait for 1 hour. But once we entered the room, it was very bad smell of smoke. Not sure how this hotel defines non smoking, I'm quite disappointed. I do not think is a newly renovated room as the carpet is old with stains, waited 45mins to receive my luggage. The room water pressure is so poor, the shower head is not working well. Lifts from car park not working. Washroom on the LG floor is flooding.

Upon Check Out - I approached to reception for check out, I had given my credit card for payment, without showing me the bill the front desk staff just swipe my credit card and I ask the front desk to show me the bill, she keep calling me to sign on the credit card slip which I have no idea how much my bill is. I actually did ask them to have the credit card slip they swipe upon check in, then the staff start to explain to me they did a mistake, swipe as a Sale of RM 600 upon check in which they suppose to hold the amount as a Pre-Authorization. They did a void on that day it self but they wouldn't explain to me if I did not ask. Staff should explain that to me on the first day I checked in but not upon my checked out.

Poor Customer Service !

I had stay different hotel in penang, sunway is the worst hotel to stayed, think twice before you make the reservation.

Date of stay: September 2012
1  Thank Florence C
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang is located at the heart of the city and within close proximity to shopping malls, places of interest and food outlets. Transportation is easily available as there is a taxi queue located just in front of the hotel. If you are traveling in a big group of more than 6 people, you may consider charter for a mini van which charges by the hour and bring you to everywhere you want to go. The rate is about RM$25 to RM$30 (or lower if you are good at the art of bargaining), do enquire with the concierge. The rooms are dated and seriously need a refresh though reasonably clean. The best part of staying at this hotel has to be the location, the room rate and the proximity to the street hawker aka 'al fresco' dining located just in front of the hotel. During the 3 nights we stayed, we tasted the best Penang laksa, pig organs porridge, kangkong cuttlefish, chee cheong fun (with prawn sauce), fried kway teow, traditional penang dessert, etc all within a couple of meters walk from the hotel entrance. According to our guide, the food here is much authentic and cheaper than those at the highly publicized and tourist infested Gurney Drive. So choose this hotel if you just need a decent place to stay with lots of cheap authentic penang food!

Date of stay: November 2011
2  Thank mr_kennethho
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed here on number of occasions when in town for work. The location is really ideal for good hawker food and easy get around the city . The hotel itself is a bit dated and looks worn and tired. The rooms are comfortable and reasonably clean. The breakfast spread is a bit of a let down though but then again, why eat in when you are surrounded by good hawker food. Maybe I am overly sensitive but I find the hotel somewhat eerie especially at night.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The hotel is really centrally located in the city (which means that it is really in a good position). It is near Penang Times Square and extremely near hawker stores(within walking distance). About a 10 minute walk away and you'll be able to get even better food. While I don't remember the name of the road, a 10-15 minute walk will bring you to a place with nice cendol/chendol, laksa, char kway teow etc...
The hotel is under renovation now so it would be better to stay at another hotel until the renovations are over. However if you stay at sunway, ask for a room at a higher floor so that the noise wouldn't bother you.
The service is pretty good, there is a bellhop called muhammed and he is a very helpful guy so service in the hotel is pretty good.
Overall sleep quality is fine but the room is need of refurbishment and upgrading. The walls need to be repainted and the carpets has that "old" feeling. The toilet mats are really old and dirty + the bath tubs had stains on it.
In my room's toilet, the water pressure was really weak and therefore it can become a little difficult to bathe and for some reason, the water that comes out doesn't flow to the drain but instead forms a puddle, so there can be some kind of design flaw in the toilet?

So in overall, this hotel is really conveniently located to the shopping malls and really really good food. The place really can't get better than this. However, the rooms and toilet is a little run-down and in need of upgrading.

Hope to see sunway improve after its renovations.
If you wanna live at a hotel with nearly the exact same good location, go to traders hotel. its next to one avenue.

Room tip: Choose a higher floor. Less noisy and it has a better view of georgetown.
Date of stay: August 2012