“Great hotel with 3 star price”

Evergreen Laurel Hotel
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in George Town
MALAYSIA
“Great hotel with 3 star price”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Hotel looks new, clean, big and rate is good. Free car park. There is a swimming pool and gym, but i did not make use of them. In house spa and the price looks good but i had no time to try out.
Gurney drive just in front of hotel. At night its pretty quiet and looks safe cos can see a lot of senior citizens enjoying the breeze and the quiet of environment. Lots of eating places along Gurney drive.You can just walk for eateries. If the price is still good, I would like to come again. I last use it , it was a promotional rate.

Room Tip: I requested a handicapped room and it was big. I was staying overnight to board a cruise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed in Penang for just one night to have some sumptuous meal at Gurney Drive. Location wise, this hotel is just 10 mins walk to the hawkers and you'll definitely enjoy the view of the ocean along the way to and fro the Gurney Drive. Room wise, i reserved for twin beds, yet I only got a king bed. However the room was satisfactory and spacious. Service wise, credit to the bell boy & doorman. Both were excellent. I wish i could remember their names. Nevertheless, the reception's service was terrible. I hardly see a smile on their faces! Overall, staying here was fine but i'll prefer to stay at Batu Feringghi with the same price I pay if i am going to stay longer in Penang.

Room Tip: 0Higher rooms has better view of the ocean (and slightly quieter as it was further than the street
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank pearl_lynely
Jakarta
Reviewed May 23, 2012

The room felt old but it's clean and properly maintained. I was surprised to find free broadband access via cable in the room. I need to access my email during my trip and the 3g reception in the room isn't so good. Nice ocean view, though the ocean is muddy and dirty but the view is nice in the early morning and afternoon. Great service by the room service, concierge and front door. They are friendly and efficient. The closest mall (Gurney mall) is around 1 km from the location, there are several food courts and small restaurant near the hotel. I expected better quality for the breakfast buffet, I skipped the breakfast after the 3rd day.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank slim3250
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I made my reservation online through the hotel website about three weeks prior to my arrival and received a confirmation email. When I checked in, the hotel did not have my reservation on file and could not do anything until the booking staff came in the next day and checked their system. The manager on duty refused to guarantee my rate, and she would not guarantee that I would not be charged a cancellation fee if I chose to cancel my reservation and the booking staff found my reservation the next day. I persisted in requesting that they honor the original reservation. The manager yelled at me and accused me of calling her a liar, saying I could sue them if I thought they were lying. It was the worst check-in experience of my life. Eventually, her supervisor apologized on behalf of the hotel and the original reservation rate was honored. The hotel has decent, clean facilities, but based on the unprofessional customer service, I will not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ninapod
Perth
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed here in April 2012. One of the reception lady was rude to me. She seems to think that I need to listen to her!! Wow.....I felt like a beggar asking her for the room I have prepaid prior to my arrival. I bet she would not do this to all the American guys staying at their hotel. They seems to think these people are like "KINGS".

Unprofessional and it completely turned me off. Think twice before you book your next accommodation at this hotel.

Room Tip: Seaview on higher level. If you do get one!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Azlinah C
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I visit Penang fairly often and although I have stayed at many other places I always seem to end up back at the Evergreen Laurel. Its quite an old-fashioned style of place but well maintained and does what it says on the tin at a very affordable price. You get free in-room internet, a decent selection of TV channels, tea and coffee facilities, a well-maintained marble tile bathroom with decent shower a fruit basket and morning newspaper are included. Free car parking too. As there are so many places to eat in Penang I don't use the two restaurants much but they seem very popular in the evening. I had breakfast there once and it was just average. Staff all friendly and helpful. Fitness centre is clean and reasonably well maintained with all machines working in the gym and giant hot and cold jacuzzis, steam room and sauna and the pool area is nice. Rather worn-out tennis courts though.

If you want trendy you can pay twice the price at the G-hotel down the road but why bother? You can still use the G's bar and restaurants - you don't have to stay there.

Room Tip: All rooms seem much the same, you pay more for a sea view thats the only difference.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Graham S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2012

Stayed here twice this year, both times on business. Situated outside the main part of Georgetown, it is only a cheap taxi ride to the centre. The staff are very friendly and efficient. Public areas and rooms are well kept and clean. Food is excellent and features a variety of cuisines. The gym and pool facilities are good. I would recommend this hotel for both business and pleasure, but would suggest that it lies somewhere between a four and a five star.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business