“EVERGREEN LAUREL PENANG”

Evergreen Laurel Hotel
Ranked #27 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Pros
- Nice Hotel room
- Efficient housekeeping

Cons
- Should train the front desk staff to be more friendly towards guest. For my case, I was attended by the staff name of 'Ian' (if I'm not mistaken) during my check-in. He never smile at all. Actually, I stayed at ELHP for so many time already and had a bad experience with the front desk staff. The reason I still go there is becoz of their room is not bad compared to the price. I thought, over-time their attitude will change. But it is not what I think. However, I should gave compliment to one old staff (Malay lady with short hair wearing spectacle, cannot remember her name).

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CITYKL
There are newer reviews for Evergreen Laurel Hotel

Reviewed November 27, 2011

It is a five star hotel located along seaside. Thus, its surrounding is peaceful and not far from Gurney Plaza shopping mall. Only No.103 bus (half hourly interval) pass through. Rooms need renovation. One of the male staff in reception is not fit for his position. It is not matching its star ranking. Keep out of its smoking floors lounge bar as far as possible because of bad smell.

Room Tip: non-smoking room with seaview
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank KYNG
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The hotel is located at a reasonably good location - Gurney Drive, it's near the seaside, though there is no beachfront and the view out of the sea is not so great anyway.
Many of the front desk staff are rude and appeared indifferent towards guests' request- there was one particular girl by the name "RAIN" - who answered curtly when I requested for a parking voucher- she just said "we are not involved in the parking, go ask the parking attendant". When I told her there was no parking attnedant at the parking lot at the moment I drove into the car park, she just walked away.
Check in was slow, though slightly better than our experience during our last stay, but still, a hotel of this standard should do better for guest check in.

Room size - overall is small for hotel of this rating, the twin beds are much smaller than similar rated hotel, eg. Traders. The bathroom is too compact, there is no separate shower room, you have to take your shower standing in the bath tub- considering this is a relatively new hotel, provision should have been made for a separate shower area.
When you look around the hotel lobby, you can see a long crack line on the marble floor right in the middle, you will start wondering about the stability of the building structure.

Stay here only if you like Gurney Drive, plus the heavy traffic jams in front of the hotel along the whole of Gurney Drive during weekends and on most nights. There are other hotel along the same road which are better, though slightly more costly. Otherwise, give it a miss, I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room, but my experience had been- if you book through the internet with a disco...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2011

The hotel is terrible terrible terrible BIG SUCKS!!!! The counter recept is total double standard and of cos with attitude problems. Some will get the welcome drink an yet some didn't. The most horrible thing is...the door is faultly till the hotel personnel had to bang and break the door and they just replace the lock, that's it. Kettle is faulty as well. If can, pls pls totally avoid this terrible hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank tequila t
Reviewed October 17, 2011

This is an older hotel but I thought it was comfortable, clean and fine for a one night business trip. The room was fine though as other reviewers said, it's a little dated and not ultra modern but it was clean, I found the bed comfortable and did all that a room is supposed to do, along with free internet. The rate was very reasonable. The breakfast buffet was good and had a wide variety of food. The hotel is located on the waterfront and a waterfront room has a very nice view from rooms on the upper floors. I'd stay here again when visiting Penang.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Shaymur
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I have stayed at quite a few of the hotels around Penang and this was going to be our first stay at the Evergreen, well how nice it was to make our base here, the hotel is suitable for both business and family holidays and the staff we all very helpful in fact they could not do enough for us. The food was very good and the town is within easy reach, the car park is attached to the hotel and is very handy, I enjoyed the stay so much we booked againd for another 6 days after a short break and found everything the same if not even better.

Room Tip: make sure you email the hotel and make sure you get a confirmation on the size and beds requested
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2011

If you want to see how bad a poorly run hotel can be, look no further than this one.

Exterior of the hotel looks OK but appearance can be very deceiving.

i agree with Lana C that there was no one to greet you when we walked in. We were a whole 20 minutes too early for 2 PM check in. So the stern face receptionist told us.
We told her we could come back after we have our lunch in the restaurant upstairs. Of course she wouldn't tell us the restaurant closes on Mondays.

We asked for two non-smoking rooms and guess what we got ? Two rooms with stinking tobacco smell and likewise,along the corridor on that floor.
I went down and ask for a change of rooms and was told to wait in the room for someone to help us to move. Naturally no one came.

After my patience ran out I ran the assistant manager only then we got what we wanted.

The fittings in the rooms all seem to function but needs updating badly.

Coming back ? Not likely.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends