“Decent” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Adelaide
“Decent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

A decent hotel in the 4 to 5 Star category along the Gurney Drive - 5-8 minutes walk to the bus stop, 8 minutes to the shopping complex. Friendly and polite service, clean rooms albeit a bit dated. Copious breakfast buffet.
Taxi to city centre should cost not more then M$12.00; avoid taxis waiting in front of the hotel, hail a passing one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Just outside of the airport's arrival hall, there is a taxi booth. The taxi fare to Evergreen Laurel Hotel Penang is MYR44.70. The counter lady passed us the taxi voucher, which we handed to the taxi co-ordinator outside of the airport.

The Evergreen Laurel Hotel Penang is located at Gurney Drive, which is a coastal area with great sea views.

Check-in at the Hotel was a breeze. The Hotel staff spoke good English. Staff was also friendly and courteous. They met every request with smiles and prompt service. We felt like VIPs, even though we stayed at the entry-level room. One night, when I was at the Hotel lobby trying to find a powerpoint to power up my laptop, the manager asked a staff to unplug a table lamp, so that I could use its socket. However, the Concierge was not able to provide advice on the bus services to the various places of interest.

Upon entering our 16th-floor Standard Room (City View), we were very impressed with the luxurious furnishings, clean and neat room, furniture, TV, fridge, safe, and toilet. However, the decor was old-fashioned, with panels of rose-coloured wood, dark green carpeting, and black granite. Our room has ample space for a king-sized bed, 2 arm chairs, and a small coffee table. We just loved the extra space for our kid to move around in room. We can see hills from our room. Also, there are some high-rise residential buildings on the side and across our room. Hence, we closed the day-curtain all the time for privacy. TV channels were not that many nor great. The in-room safe was small, and we could not place our laptop flat in it. The toilet is not that big, but bright and clean. There seems to be a problem with our air-con temperature control. Our room was very cold, even when we adjsuted the control to 30 degrees celcius. We called the maintenance department but the problem still persisted. We were waken during our sleep to switch the air-con off when it became too cold, and turn it on again when the room became warm and stuffy. Interrupted sleep for 4 nights! All rooms come with complimentary wired Internet access, which was fast and reliable. There was also complimentary WiFi at the Hotel lobby and coffee house.

The breakfast spread was International, and the taste and quality is good! We loved the cakes and the Expresso! The coffee house was always packed with diners for her buffet dinner. We did not try the dinner there, but we bet that it must be good.

The spa room is like a labyrinth inside, with many doors leading to the various rooms (toilet, locker, grooming, bath, jaccuzi). It was kept clean, neat, and dry. The swimming pool was closed during our stay as it was under renovation, In return, all guests were given 2 complimentary cans of Coke for every night of stay. We also loved the Evergreen Laurel Kid's Room, which is located in a former dance studio. It was air-conned and spacious for my kid to run and jump around, and there were indoor plastic slides and swings, Lego, story books, TV, and guests may also sign out complimentary cartoons DVDs. I felt that it was a good place for me to take a rest after a long day of sight-seeing, while my kid busied himself with all the toys there.

Just outside of the Hotel, there are many coffee shops, cafes, restaurants that line Gurney drive. Sometimes, we took meals with sea views thrown in at these coffee shops; cheap, good, convenient, and great views. G Hotel, Gurney Plaza, and Gurney Drive Hawker Centre are about 10-15 minutes by foot from the Hotel. If you wish to venture somewhere else, a good place to catch the public bus is at Jalan Burma (bus services 101, 102, 104), which is 2 streets away from the back of the Hotel, which is about 5-10 minutes by foot). These buses go to Batu Feringghi. Of course, they also go to Komtar, just like all the other buses in Penang.

The Concierge was very helpful in booking a taxi for our trip to the airport. The staff told us that it was MYR45, which is the same price if we were to hail it on the street.

Overall, the Evergreen Laurel Hotel Penang is a clean and neat hotel, with luxurious furnishings, spacious rooms, and friendly and courteous stafff. Nice sea views and plentiful eating places nearby. Defintely value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Actuarial_Math
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

Me and the missus stayed at the Evergreen Laurel for 2 nights during our recent trip to Penang; we booked the room via Evergreen's website and for a 5-star hotel (certified by the Tourism Ministry), a rate of only RM230++ / night is just super-great value. In fact, it is even cheaper than its already-affordable next door neighbor, the Gurney Resort Hotel!

We liked the location on Gurney Drive, although it is virtually impossible to head over to the George Town sights (e.g. Heritage Zone, food haunts, KOMTAR, Penang Hill, etc.) by walking and as such, a car is a must; this was not an issue for us as we drove up here from KL. However, even the nearby Wat Chyamangkalaram with its reclining Buddha is too far to walk!

As for the room, it was quite spacious and offered a great view of the sea, all the way to Tanjung Tokong + Bungah. There was a nice queen-sized bed as well as a chairs-and-table by the window that came with a welcome fruit (three fresh apples). I musn't forget about the excellent broadband Internet provided by the hotel; connection speed is reasonably fast and best of all, it's a freebie! Of course it would have been better if the Internet was available via WiFi (so that my iPod touch can also get connected) but this may result in a more unstable connection instead.

However, I do agree with some earlier reviewers about the room being rather dated; I agree that the dark brown furniture makes the place look rather old and in fact, the only new stuff in the room are the LCD TV (undeniably clear and sharp though!) as well as the kettle!

The toilet was something else altogether, though. It was surprisingly large, despite there being only a bathtub with no separate shower, and there was even enough space to place a large towel "dustbin" next to the WC. However, the bathtub is rather small and also, they should change the shower head to those rainshower types, for a more pleasant experience. Maybe the bathtub itself can also be upgraded to a mini jacuzzi but that is entirely up to the Evergreen management!

As for F&B, our only exposure to the outlets was at the Coffee House for breakfast. Our package came with b'fast for two, but we only ate at the hotel on the second day (who eats their morning meal at a hotel in Penang, the food paradise? LOL!). The food was quite tasty and of a reasonable selection, although the decor seems to be rather dated. Also, while the Lobby was undeniably spacious (two-storey atrium), the overall decor was like the rest of the hotel, i.e. old-fashioned.

I certainly enjoyed my stay at the Evergreen, which is one of the best value high-end hotels I've been to. However, I think the management really should consider doing a makeover of these public areas as well as the rooms, in order to enhance their hotel to compete with the newer properties coming up in Penang.

Room Tip: Go for one that overlooks the sea and Tanjung areas - best views + sunset!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HannTi_Tan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Stay at the hotel for 2 nights for a business trip. The cab fare from the airport to the hotel cost RM 42.50 one way, it is advisable to arrange with the cab driver to pick you up for the return trip. Depending on your negotiation skill it can cost between RM 40.00 – RM 50.00 for the return trip. The hotel has aged, the furnishing from the main lobby to the rooms were trendy in the early 90’s, and desperately need an upgrade. I have a sea facing deluxe room, it is decent in size and clean. The hotel has 3 F&B outlets, a coffee house, a Chinese restaurant and a pub (with a live Filipino Band). Breakfasts came with the room. I had buffet dinner on the 1st night at the coffee house. The breakfast is average, and the buffet dinner is not that great either. I entertained some clients at the Chinese restaurant on the 2nd night, my clients seemed to like the food but I find it average compared to the Chinese restaurants in Kuala Lumpur. On one side of the hotel, you will find Starbuck and Coffee Bean. On the other side, there’s a stretch of restaurants, convenient stores and hawker centers leading to the Gurney Plaza and the famous Gurney Drive Hawker Center, which takes a good 15 minutes walk from the hotel. Overall, it’ll do for a short business trip but I would check out other hotels if I am going there for a holiday.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Kongsi-INFO
Jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

I went to Penang last March until 3rd April 2011. It was my first experience staying at this hotel. A friend booked it after we didn't get a room at the G Hotel nearby.

Location speaking, for those who wish to view ocean, well, it has it. But those who want to feel the old quarter of George Town, this hotel bit far. I took 15-20mins to reach George Town.

My room was spacious. And I got city view. From my window I always can see mountain afar. Bed was big and comfortable. Note to furniture, well, there should be serious major change. Although they still have grandeur feel. But they are old enough for five star hotel. I feel like staying at four stars.

For those who like to spent hours in bathroom, I tell you, theirs are spacious! Marbled and clean. I think it is the only five stars of my room. Bath tub was there but I didn't use it. Shower head and faucets need to change.

Lobby is big. But not that big. With four star standard. Lobby lounge and cafe? Uhm... forget about them. So aweful and shameful.

• Stayed April 2011
      Location
      Rooms
4 Thank radenwishnuwardhana
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

My partner and I were celebrating our third anniversary. I definitely wanted to take her to a 5 star and after the search, this appeared to be the cheapest 5 star. They gave us 16th floor with nice view. Overall service was excellent, worthy of a 5 star hotel. Our room was a bit small compared to your 4 star Langkawi hotel, but it was nicely and cleanly maintained. Hotel staff were very friendly and professional. Highly recommended for people who want a little bit of luxury on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Ask if you have any special request, they will do their best to provide it
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shurid F
Lugano, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Good location and super efficient and kind staff, expecially at the front desks - both concierge and reception / cashier - but the management has to consider an urgent refurbishment of the whole property. Even if it's more or less well mantained, the '70rs style is no more attractive at all.
Very comfortable beds with soft duvet - maybe a little bit weighty, better for a Swiss winter than for a Malaysian summer... -
Pretty nice unsunny pool.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business