I stayed in the hotel for one night being a guest for my friend's wedding. Having stayed in other hotels in Penang including The Gurney, Golden Sands and Sandy Bay, I was a little disappointed at first as the hotel was huge and empty, away from the hustle and bustle of the Batu Ferringhi and Gurney Road crowds.
The rooms were large but comfortable. Each room had a living hall and a seperate bedroom that leads to a large bathroom. My room was on the first floor and faced the ocean, but the view was blocked by the trees out front. My friend stayed in a larger suite, nothing special, it was just bigger with a dining table.
The temperature of the hotel was cool, despite the hot weather outside, and each room had a ceiling fan, and opening the windows with the fan on provided a very nice breeze into the room.
The pool was excellent. I was there at noon, and it felt cool and I fell asleep on the deck chairs that surround the pool.
The coffee shop was nothing to shout about. There is excellent food in penang, and the coffee shop was serving typical normal fare, what a disappointment.
My advice - if you want a quiet vacation, this is an excellent hotel to stay. It has colonial charm, it has big rooms, and its wonderful to read a book in. You can always take a short taxi to Batu Ferringi or Gurney Drive if you want the crowds and good local food.
The price is a bit high though, at a discount, it went for Rm380++ for a basic room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Fastbooking, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town